• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2020-2021 Mammoth/June Mt Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just a hunch ..... with only two days left, you might not make it! :ogbiggrin:

Heading to Mammoth in 9 days, taking my (relatively) young pup with me - any recos for good afternoon walks/hikes that are off-leash?
The bike trail around Horseshoe lake is a good hike, the path is wide and all dirt, the road should be open to the lakes basin. The trail to McLeod lake stems off the trail on Horseshoe, you could even hike to Red's Meadow from there if you wanted to...

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Paul Lutes Tamarack looks like it is still open (ie snow on road used for xc skiing until snow melts), if so, any dogs on the public track are required to be on leash. If you head towards 395 via the 203 there are plenty of melted off OHV trails that would be more suitable. Allegedly dogs need to be on leash on all national forest and town trails - wilderness trails only need to be on voice command.

Last edited:

Dadier

Bike to ski. Ski to bike.
Skier
The Not Tahoe West Side / East Side Central Sierra
About 1 o'clock Monday, the sun kinda came out, the wind stopped (ok, well, slowed down at least) and the gondola opened to the top and then 23 opened up too, so there was fresh to be had for the next hour or so up top! It was fantastic to have powder turns in late April!

Also, a funny (at least to me) story. On Sunday morning when it was essentially a "light" blizzard and we were getting on the 3 lift, an older woman behind us in line & dressed in mostly pink said to the liftie in a loud voice, "I came here from Canada for California sunshine and warm weather! Where are my slushy bumps?!" then we were on the lift and didn't here any more! :roflmao:
I met her today here in Mammoth Lakes. She’ll be on the hunt tomorrow for the slush!!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm thinking of flying to Reno and driving to Mammoth for sometime in the last week of May, probably skiing 5/27-5/29. Any recommendations for accommodations? I know the Mammoth Mountain Inn is right there at the Main lodge, vs staying in a condo or hotel somewhere near the Village or town.

Dadier

Bike to ski. Ski to bike.
Skier
The Not Tahoe West Side / East Side Central Sierra
Skied with the lady in pink today for a couple hours. She’s a good skier (loves West Bowl) and a good person with a big heart. Quite an adventure travellor—Uganda, Haiti, Cameroon, Japan, New Zealand, Israel, (often to places offering therapy services for victims of traumatic events like earthquakes, political turmoil) and a near kidnapping victim in Tijuana this past month.

Sunnysloper

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm thinking of flying to Reno and driving to Mammoth for sometime in the last week of May, probably skiing 5/27-5/29. Any recommendations for accommodations? I know the Mammoth Mountain Inn is right there at the Main lodge, vs staying in a condo or hotel somewhere near the Village or town.

Staying at the Inn could be pretty lonely this time of year. If you’re into that and want to be near Main Lodge this is a cooler option.

There’re tons of rentals and rooms down the hill in the town of Mammoth Lakes. Seems like you can’t throw a snowball around here without hitting someone who’d like to rent you their condo

My first choice would be to rent a little RV in Reno like this bad boy:

Stay at the Mammoth RV park at night (you could boondock, but I like showers and electricity):

Then wake up early (like really early) every ski day and get a slopeside parking place at Chair 2. Use the RV as a lodge during the day and be in prime position for a great parking-lot-après scene, potentially with other Skitalk folks who always seem to have the best spots in the lot. After après head out of town to checkout other regional attractions (hot tubs, June Lake, Convict Lake, Tuolumne maybe) or go fishing. The lifts close at 2pm now (as MM reported) so there’s a lot of day to deal with when the skiing ends.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Great suggestions, maybe another time. It’s more than I need just for myself (I’m traveling alone), so maybe I’ll toss a snowball and hit someone who’ll rent me a condo.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, booked a flight from Seattle to RNO on 5/26, car rental reservation and a condo for 3 nights at Mammoth, will ski 5/27-5/29, quit around 1, drive to RNO for the flight home.

Anyone who wants to meet up those days, let me know.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Relocated from Squaw to Mammoth with @KingGrump , Mamie, and @Sandy_NYC .

20210510_132941_1_exported_466.jpg
20210510_132916.jpg
20210510_132951.jpg

The snow goes all the way to the bottom here!
The snow surface is better here than up at Squaw, though there were better bumps there.
20210509_150407.jpg
20210510_130333.jpg
20210510_130344.jpg

Some of the most interesting terrain is a bit melted out. I went into the Wipeout chutes -- there is one fairly narrow entrance that has connecting snow. It was fun! -- type 2 fun, that is. The bumps were frozen solid. It will probably be great about an hour after closing.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you think that Stump will survive through Memorial Day? What about Ch. 1? Inquiring minds want to know.

We are planning one more trip before the end. Hoping to move from 55 to 60 days for the season.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you think that Stump will survive through Memorial Day? What about Ch. 1? Inquiring minds want to know.
I've only seen it one day, so I don't have any sense of how quickly it is changing. The coverage and snow surface is great, but I don't think it is very deep.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
De rigueur shot of the Mammoth totem pole.
H1.jpg
Quite different than two years ago.
This was July 1, 2019.
@Tony @Gary Stolt @Tricia @Philpug @P-Ute
82747443-6D71-440A-BBCD-4ED1B43B5711.JPG

@KingGrump
May 22, 2019
0B724A17-D17D-4543-B5D3-54DEA68A5B0A.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online