• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

GAP Trail Ride, western MD & PA

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I went on a 36 mile bike ride today 9/13/18 with Charlie and Rob along the Great Allegheny Passage rail-trail from Meyersdale, PA to Cumberland MD. We had good weather and enjoyed lunch afterwards in Cumberland at The Crabby Pig Restaurant. I'll add some descriptive details for the photos later.

GAP trail goes approx. 150 miles from Pittsburgh, PA to Cumberland, MD and generally consists of a crushed stone surface. In Cumberland it connects with the similar C&O Canal Towpath trail that goes another 184 miles to Washington, DC.

1. Rob (Laurel Hill Crazie) and Charlie at the Meyersdale, PA historic train station at mile marker 32, the chosen starting point for our GAP ride. We converged there from three different directions, each a couple hours drive - Wheeling, Pittsburgh, and Wash DC.

DSCN1636.jpg

2. We rode two miles west to see the 1908' Salisbury Viaduct, it crosses US Rt. 219. All the GAP bridges and tunnels shown in this report served former train lines.

DSCN1638.jpg

3. Returning east past the Meyersdale train station again. The rest of our ride was in the eastern direction.

DSCN1640.jpg

4. I think this is the 909' Keystone Viaduct.

DSCN1644.jpg

5. If you enjoy being around trains there is a ton of rail activity all around the GAP trail.

DSCN1646.jpg

6. This is the highest point on the entire GAP trail, elev 2392', near mile marker 24. All climbs are nice and gradual on the GAP trail.

DSCN1651.jpg

7. Big Savage Tunnel, length 3294', almost two/thirds of a mile long. A rush of 50-something degree air hit us in the face as we approached the entrance.

DSCN1653.jpg

8. We rode through several other tunnels during the ride, this is Brush Tunnel, 914', about five miles west of Cumberland, MD.

DSCN1659.jpg

9. and 10. GAP trail between Frostburg and Cumberland, MD.

DSCN1660.jpg
DSCN1661.jpg

11. Lover's Leap rocks can be seen in upper left of this photo.

DSCN1666.jpg

12. Selfie.

DSCN1667.jpg

13. Hard to see, but to the left of the Cumberland, MD train station is the engine for the Western MD Scenic Railroad. It makes the 30 mile roundtrip from Cumberland to Frostburg, MD.

DSCN1673.jpg

14. Post ride lunch at the Crabby Pig Restaurant next to the Cumberland train station. This is where the GAP trail begins and where it connects with the C&O Canal Towpath trail to Wash DC.

DSCN1674.jpg

GOOD RIDE!!!

Last edited:

CharlieM

Booting up
Skier
I went on a 36 mile bike ride today 9/13/18 with Charlie and Rob along the Great Allegheny Passage rail-trail from Meyersdale, PA to Cumberland MD. We had good weather and enjoyed lunch afterwards in Cumberland at The Crabby Pig Restaurant. I'll add some descriptive details for the photos later. View attachment 53356 View attachment 53357 View attachment 53358 View attachment 53359 View attachment 53360 View attachment 53361 View attachment 53362 View attachment 53363 View attachment 53364 View attachment 53365 View attachment 53366 View attachment 53367 View attachment 53368 View attachment 53369

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
We timed that one right, weather was good with a nice mix of sun and clouds, comfortable temperature. It was a nice day for a ride in the Laurel and Potomac Highlands. Thanks for the ride. Let's catch some Fall colors next month.

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Just curious do trains run on the tracks that close to trail?

Looks like a fun ride I might have to take my kids on a trip there sometime.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I went on a 36 mile bike ride today 9/13/18 with Charlie and Rob along the Great Allegheny Passage rail-trail from Meyersdale, PA to Cumberland MD. We had good weather and enjoyed lunch afterwards in Cumberland at The Crabby Pig Restaurant. I'll add some descriptive details for the photos later.

GAP trail goes approx. 150 miles from Pittsburgh, PA to Cumberland, MD and generally consists of a crushed stone surface. In Cumberland it connects with the similar C&O Canal Towpath trail that goes another 184 miles to Washington, DC.

1. Rob (Laurel Hill Crazie) and Charlie at the Meyersdale, PA historic train station at mile marker 32, the chosen starting point for our GAP ride. We converged there from three different directions, each a couple hours drive - Wheeling, Pittsburgh, and Wash DC.

View attachment 53356

2. We rode two miles west to see the 1908' Salisbury Viaduct, it crosses US Rt. 219. All the GAP bridges and tunnels shown in this report served former train lines.

View attachment 53357

3. Returning east past the Meyersdale train station again. The rest of our ride was in the eastern direction.

View attachment 53358

4. I think this is the 909' Keystone Viaduct.

View attachment 53359

5. If you enjoy being around trains there is a ton of rail activity all around the GAP trail.

View attachment 53360

6. This is the highest point on the entire GAP trail, elev 2392', near mile marker 24. All climbs are nice and gradual on the GAP trail.

View attachment 53361

7. Big Savage Tunnel, length 3294', almost two/thirds of a mile long. A rush of 50-something degree air hit us in the face as we approached the entrance.

View attachment 53362

8. We rode through several other tunnels during the ride, this is Brush Tunnel, 914', about five miles west of Cumberland, MD.

View attachment 53363

9. and 10. GAP trail between Frostburg and Cumberland, MD.

View attachment 53364 View attachment 53365

11. Lover's Leap rocks can be seen in upper left of this photo.

View attachment 53366

12. Selfie.

View attachment 53367

13. Hard to see, but to the left of the Cumberland, MD train station is the engine for the Western MD Scenic Railroad. It makes the 30 mile roundtrip from Cumberland to Frostburg, MD.

View attachment 53368

14. Post ride lunch at the Crabby Pig Restaurant next to the Cumberland train station. This is where the GAP trail begins and where it connects with the C&O Canal Towpath trail to Wash DC.

View attachment 53369

GOOD RIDE!!!

Great report! Western MD is where I was born and raised and most of my immediate family still lives. They’ve done a great job refurbishing the old train station in Cumberland and the surrounding downtown area.

TS
Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just curious do trains run on the tracks that close to trail?

Looks like a fun ride I might have to take my kids on a trip there sometime.
The 5th photo shows the typical track/trail proximity. Usually the active tracks are a couple hundred yards away from the bike trail, but in about a 15 mile stretch the tracks are just a few feet away from the trail. The only train as far as I know, that runs on this line is the Western MD scenic train once or twice a day.

He's an old report of another ride I did on the GAP trail: http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=1298&mode=rss

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
The 5th photo shows the typical track/trail proximity. Usually the active tracks are a couple hundred yards away from the bike trail, but in about a 15 mile stretch the tracks are just a few feet away from the trail. The only train as far as I know, that runs on this line is the Western MD scenic train once or twice a day.

He's an old report of another ride I did on the GAP trail: http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=1298&mode=rss

Makes sense for a scenic train ride. I was concerned taking kids if it was a major line of freight trains going full speed. Seems like a great travel idea. Hopefully they have some rv camping near by. Thanks for posting.