• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lemond Zurich, 1999, very little use....Trying to gauge interest and maybe value?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Hi,

Going to reach out to you PugBikers, or BikeTalkers, or whatever. I have a medical condition which has ended my road biking career. I had a Gran Mal seizure some years ago, and while the chances of it recurring are remote, it's not "non existent," so my doc who rides seriously basically said stay off the road. So, for 8 years I have. We're also in the process of moving doing some serious downsizing, etc. So.....I have one bike that I nee to decide what to do with.

My 34 year old son and I are built the exact same, and the 53cm Lemond steel and Ti frames fit us almost like a custom. As a result his original Lemond Zurich is now his rain bike, he has two Ti frames, one set up as a compact, one as a "real" road bike, and he has another steely that's a fixed gear. Plus a spare frame. Some of us like steel and ti and the price works for him.

I bought a white 1999 years ago new, as my second Zurich and barely road it. It was a triple. I just loved the whole frame with the red accents. Never loved the triple and had maybe some distant thoughts of touring. About three months before the seizure, I decided to do some work to the bike, and I bought what was then a new Shimano Compact crank and bottom bracket {before they branded them as Ultegra, or D-A.} also bought new D-A front and rear derailleurs. New cables, etc.

I also ditched the red Rolf wheelset, bought new wheels, new tires. Got a new Thomson set post and collar, and a new Pearl stem, new 44cm bars. a Couple of King cage bottle cages. Also new Ultegra pedals, and mounted one my favorite old school saddles, a Selle TurboMatic.

And then.....rode it ONCE....about three miles...in December. Seizure in February.

Now trying to figure out what to do with it. I am 99% sure the means sell it. On a place like this it might mean trade it. Or could. I am very removed form this game, and I have not made a call or reached out to any of my friends. As far as the bike......yeah, it is what it is. Old 853. Not bad. 1" headset {D-A, btw}, which is not a terrible issue. The fork is pretty nice. The entire bike is in tremendous shape.

Anybody have any thoughts as to what it might be worth. BTW, I have the complete triple grippo to be included. All Ultra, as the bike was outfitted when new.

Appreciate any help and thoughts......

IMG_4492.JPG

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
The road bike world long ago transitioned to threadless headsets (i.e., not what you have) and is rapidly transitioning to disk brakes as well. Wider tire clearance than you probably have.

So, yeah, it's out-dated. The good news is that we're probably going to have another bike-boom this summer; i.e., last year, stores couldn't keep bikes in stock. One of my local dealers (Landry's) was buying up used bikes. I sold my mid-90's Cannondale which had been beat to hell for a few hundred to them since I hadn't ridden it in years.

I'm guessing they're bracing for another bike boom and the used market will be busy. Maybe wait a bit until the used market heats up again in order to get the best price?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Adult bikes around here are still like hen's teeth with huge demand for whatever pops up. That said, there's also a thriving collector market for classic/vintage stuff. Another 10 or 20 years and that would probably be serious money there. Something 10 years old is in a dead zone of not old enough to be cool but too old to be a modern rider.... kinda most of my skis!

It sure is pretty!

scott43

Skier
I have a custom 853 frame and it's an awesome tubeset. That Lemond I suspect will have a group of people that will be interested. It's modern enough that you have a pretty good selection of parts still. Someone could easily toss the fork and get a carbon threadless with a stem for a fairly modest upgrade fee. And the frame never degrades basically. It's as good today as it was the day it was made. Wheelset is good. Don't take low-ball offers..there are people out there looking for that bike and will pay a good price. Especially in this market as Kevin F Charles R said.. A classic and sad for your loss.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I have a custom 853 frame and it's an awesome tubeset. That Lemond I suspect will have a group of people that will be interested. It's modern enough that you have a pretty good selection of parts still.

Yep. Modern enough. And if someone has trouble finding Shimano triple-compatible chainrings, it's easy enough to change cranksets.

Someone could easily toss the fork and get a carbon threadless with a stem for a fairly modest upgrade fee.

Wait, I thought that was a carbon fork under the paint. Mine certainly is. Ok, sure, it's not threadless but so what.

And the frame never degrades basically. It's as good today as it was the day it was made.

Yup. The going eBay price for 853 frames of that era is between 300 and 500 without forks. And *that* is one of the longest-torso '53' frames there is. Honestly, if that was any other brand I would not believe someone your size was riding a 53.

Wheelset is good. Don't take low-ball offers..there are people out there looking for that bike and will pay a good price.

That wheelset/frame combo should take 700x25s no fuss no muss. Tubeless if desired.

Now if you REALLY want to get the best return on money - part it out.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Eeyore here. I'm sure the used market will be good this spring. However, I'm guessing that bike is probably too dated to be of interest to 99% of people shopping for a performance ride. People in search of a bicycle-shaped object will be all over it, but they won't know or care what it is. Therefore they're probably gonna want to pay $150 for it. I'm making up the number, but you get the idea.

scott43

Skier
Wait, I thought that was a carbon fork under the paint. Mine certainly is. Ok, sure, it's not threadless but so what.
Yeah, just looking at the threadless bit. I know threaded and quill stems are getting harder to find and are more "old-school".

scott43

Skier
Eeyore here. I'm sure the used market will be good this spring. However, I'm guessing that bike is probably too dated to be of interest to 99% of people shopping for a performance ride. People in search of a bicycle-shaped object will be all over it, but they won't know or care what it is. Therefore they're probably gonna want to pay $150 for it. I'm making up the number, but you get the idea.
I would normally agree..but..853 is a thing. And the price of "vintage" here man...I see Huffy's going for $150... I think he may do ok just because it's a Lemond and 853. You can't buy an 853 frame for less than a grand these days. Patience and the right buyer..might be ok.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I have that bike in 53cm. The fork is an Icon carbon. It was the first real bike I ever bought and I bought it new in 99. Currently, my version is just the main triangle with a straight Colnago fork and a Record threaded headset. That’s it. It’s hanging on the wall - a retro project for some future time. It’s original fork and Ultegra 9sp components are all on a Nevada City frame that I converted to a beach cruiser of sorts some years ago. Anyway, some time ago, I posted pics of my Zurich frame after bead blasting and new power coat. And since then, I’ve been stymied about what to do with it.

Anyway, I’m not sure about overall interest or value, but it’s freaking cool. I’d keep it for a future project or wall art. But obviously, I’m biased.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Depends on body build I suppose.

Eh, I guess. I'm -8cm on the 55 with a setback post and a 110 stem and reachy bars.

Of course I shouldn't talk since I don't know if I will be able to ride at all so...

That’s it. It’s hanging on the wall - a retro project for some future time. It’s original fork and Ultegra 9sp components are all on a Nevada City frame that I converted to a beach cruiser of sorts some years ago. Anyway, some time ago, I posted pics of my Zurich frame after bead blasting and new power coat. And since then, I’ve been stymied about what to do with it.

Did the '99 have an Octalink bottom bracket, do you remember?

How about: http://oceanaircycles.com/2012/07/09/lemond-zurich-650b-conversion/

Last edited:

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Eh, I guess. I'm -8cm on the 55 with a setback post and a 110 stem and reachy bars.

Of course I shouldn't talk since I don't know if I will be able to ride at all so...

Did the '99 have an Octalink bottom bracket, do you remember?

How about: http://oceanaircycles.com/2012/07/09/lemond-zurich-650b-conversion/
I don’t remember the bottom bracket. I thought it was Shimano too, but really couldn’t say. I do still use the skewers from the Rolfe wheels it came with on my #1 road bike. Here is my current 1999 Zurich 53cm waiting for an idea for a rebuild to strike. Along with what’s left of the serial number after powder coating. The biggest issue I had with it was rust under the top tube at the first cable stay from sweat most likely. That’s why I had it blasted and coated.
5CFCF853-CD37-4914-B099-A64B6FB80505.jpeg
704CF286-FA3F-438C-9325-BA3679FF853B.jpeg

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
Thanks for the comments. We were busy with family last night, so I wasn't able to respond with some more details and thoughts. I have a crazy day in Zoom land today, and will be back here when I can be.

Couple of things. I'm 5'10", with a longer torso than "bottom half." Son is a twin in terms of his frame. The bike fits. Always has, though back when I rode, I was much leaner, and supple? I'm not keeping it. No reason to. I have one vintage road bike that I will keep, my 1980 Gios Torino with chrome forks. All original Campy SR. I put something like 30K miles on her. Nostalgia. I can still ride, but not on the road, and particularly not around here on the road. It's crazy, and a fall with a seizure could get me killed, easily.

On the nostalgia tour, I also have two Fat Chance bikes that are "townies" these days. One a single speed. Have owned both since new. So I'm good on old that means something to me. My son also has my original SLX Merckx, all Campy. So, yeah, all set there.

This bike is set up the right way, IMO. When I converted it to a compact, it had maybe 1000 mikes on it. Probably less. As mentioned, I changed the wheelset, from the Rolf's. Those tires are 25's, BTW. I replaced the headset with a D-A. The threaded stem is a new Nitto Pearl, the best I could buy. Handlebars are new. Seat post and collar are new Thompson. Added a couple of King alloy bottle cages.

I kept the brake hoods and shifters, but it has all new cables. The bottom bracket and crank were new, best make by Shimano at the time {before they branded compacts as D-A, Ultra, etc. Brand new Ultegra pedals, new chain, new DA F&R derailleurs, obviously new cassette.

I also have the original Ultegra triple crank, the derailleurs, cassette, and bottom bracket...all perfect.

Frame is near perfect. Couple of very small paint chips which were touched up, properly.
Those pics were taken when I pulled it out of storage, before and cleaning and detailing.

So....I guess I have options in terms of HOW and WHERE I sell it. including selling the frame and all of the parts individually. Probably will not go that route. My son, who rides ALL the time once his ski coaching season ends has just said something like "That may be the nicest vintage Zurich out there....incredible shape and much better set up than when new.....so somebody is going to want it."

I was setting it up to ride it, and not worry about it being some museum piece or something that I had to baby.

So, yeah.....we'll see. Been there with a LOT of "stuff" for sale in the past. HaHa.

So now it might be the "where." And of course a reasonable expectation for price. Not. being out to lunch. I have time, and it takes the right buyer...

Thanks.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier

That wheelset/frame combo should take 700x25s no fuss no muss.

Some good comments here. I had the exact same bike, and my wife still has hers, though might sell it too as old age makes road biking tougher. Wonderful bike though, Cheryl rode every other stage of the 1999 Tour de France on hers.

This bike came stock with 25c tires, one of the first to do so. We run 28c no problem, and have squeezed in a 32. The fork is indeed carbon, and the top tube is long, giving the Lemond set-back position.

Sponsor

Staff online