• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

eBike The return of Trekchick

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't think I need to explain the low inventory of mountain bikes at this moment in time, so it probably won't surprise you that I've been putting some feelers out to get an appropriate sized bike for me after spending a summer on a bike that was slightly too big for me.(See thread, A medium is not a medium) I had one bike that was earmarked for me as soon as the owner received her new bike, but recently found out that her new bike is not going to be available to her until (possibly) February 2022. :geek:

So... we started hunting a little more diligenty for a bike, even a used bike that would fit my needs.
I found one that was 9.5 hrs away, gently used. Turns out a guy bought a Trek E-Caliber 9.6 for his wife, and wanted to make sure she would enjoy it so he swapped out components to make it lighter. XTR Brakes, DT Swiss M1700 Spline Wheels, and Minion DHF front, Aggressor rear tires.
Turns out, she doesn't like mountain biking. Bad for her, but good for me.

@cbk lives within 20 minutes of where this guy wanted me to meet him so I reached out and figured out logistics. I got in the car and drove the 9.5 hrs to check the bike out, which exceeded my expectations. Paid the man and loaded it on the bike rack.
20E41D6C-2C76-4862-9AD7-9A11A1EDE9CA.JPG

After being without a Trek for 3 years, having previously owned 4 different Treks, Trekchick is back!
*First ride pics will follow.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
After taking the stickers off and putting on an old pair of Phil's pedals, it was time for the maiden voyage from the house on some new trails that lead to a bike park.

1B2DF470-DB44-482B-802E-FC9D46510051.JPG

This was 5 times more fun than my old bike.
9E4AC38B-517B-43DD-BDE8-C37DA18F9B37.JPG

This is what Strava says.
Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 2.12.19 PM.png

The bike computer says this.
It didn't sync well and I had to unpair and repair it so it may be missing some stuff.

49825204-9EAC-42CB-A501-213A2197E03A.JPG

Last edited:

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I don't think I need to explain the low inventory of mountain bikes at this moment in time, so it probably won't surprise you that I've been putting some feelers out to get an appropriate sized bike for me after spending a summer on a bike that was slightly too big for me.(See thread, A medium is not a medium) I had one bike that was earmarked for me as soon as the owner received her new bike, but recently found out that her new bike is not going to be available to her until (possibly) February 2022. :geek:

So... we started hunting a little more diligenty for a bike, even a used bike that would fit my needs.
I found one that was 9.5 hrs away, gently used. Turns out a guy bought a Trek E-Caliber 9.6 for his wife, and wanted to make sure she would enjoy it so he swapped out components to make it lighter. XTR Brakes, DT Swiss M1700 Spline Wheels, and Minion DHF front, Aggressor rear tires.

@cbk lives within 20 minutes of where this guy wanted me to meet him so I reached out and figured out logistics. I got in the car and drove the 9.5 hrs to check the bike out, which exceeded my expectations. Paid the man and loaded it on the bike rack. View attachment 134762

After being without a Trek for 3 years, having previously owned 4 different Treks, Trekchick is back!
*First ride pics will follow.

9.5 hours to buy a used bike seems normal these days. Which reminds me that I need to get my Jamis preseason order in by today in order to receive ANY bikes in 2022. Fun times.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice rig!

I always joke that any female looking for a bike should search "wife mountain bike" or "girlfriend mountain bike" on classified sites. It normally turns into some pretty amazing deals for gently used bikes. Always with the same tune..."Bought this amazing bike for my wife, turns out she doesn't like mountain biking. Mostly used around the neighborhood." Well played Trekchick :cool:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It's a sweet bike for sure, especially since it weighs in (stock) at around 40 lbs. As e-bikes go, this one supposedly has a more "non-e-bike" feel to it, meaning the pedal assist is less assist-y if that makes sense. (Just what I've read and heard about it.) It's probably the perfect fit for what you like to ride. I bet it will feel sooo nimble compared to what you were on.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That bike is a ROCKET! Kind of a hardtail with privileges. I've got the analog version coming my way, and can't wait. Trek took that bike, and amongst a few other tweaks, added a 120 mm travel fork, which is the only real change I'm making, and which I think you'll love.

Looking forward to your impressions.

Side note: I'm pretty sure that Fazua motor can be easily removed, and you're left with a slightly heavier non-assisted bike. This may come in handy for non-e-bike areas?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, I am jealous. :drool: If you read my experiences with eMTB's, this type the of of set up I feel is ideal. Rarely do I do more that 20 miles, usually 15-20 here on Peavine and this size and weight is what I have thought is perfect.

Funny, when @Andy Mink and I were out on a ride, Tricia was home scouring the web for bikes. We were passed by one of the new Orbea Rise, their 40-ish lb rides and I thought that would be perfect. When we got back I was going to mention it then Tricia found this and it is better on every way for her...1. it is a Trek, and she of course is Trekchick, 2. it is light weight. 3. She found it ;) .

This guy set the bike up nice. Who puts XTR brakes as an upgrade to save a few grams? Wheel combo is wheelie nice and the tire combe is one of the more popular ones here. It is set up with tubeless. I don't think the bike was taken anywhere near dirt and I doubt the bike has the 100 miles he claimed...I would be surprised if it is more than 5-10. I think there is almost $2000 in upgrades. So yeah @GB_Ski it is was one helluva deal when new bikes are non existant and used ones are going for a premium.

Side note: I'm pretty sure that Fazua motor can be easily removed, and you're left with a slightly heavier non-assisted bike. This may come in handy for non-e-bike areas?
That is the idea of the Fuzea concept. It even comes with a dummy battery to fill the battery slot. It will take a bit to get used to the Fazua controls but I think she will appreciate the simplicity of the design once she gets used to them.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
9.5 hours to buy a used bike seems normal these days.
9.5 hours for a used bike? Better be one hell of a deal!
There you have it.
I've been looking every since I found out the bike I was counting on wasn't going to be available to me until Feb 2022.
This particular bike exceeded anything I had hoped to get, and I paid less than he originally paid for it before he added the upgrades to it. He said that he put "A couple thousand into upgrades." which I have no doubt, knowing what I know about bikes.

Besides, the drive was gorgeous!

0536A178-D84C-45D4-BA46-326FA0D7AA0A.JPG

A2DBD614-E2FE-47C2-A6F1-C2750EA4CB22.JPG

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Nice rig!

I always joke that any female looking for a bike should search "wife mountain bike" or "girlfriend mountain bike" on classified sites. It normally turns into some pretty amazing deals for gently used bikes. Always with the same tune..."Bought this amazing bike for my wife, turns out she doesn't like mountain biking. Mostly used around the neighborhood." Well played Trekchick :cool:
That is kinda funny but true.
She was with him when we met up and was pleased to count the cash and hand off the bike. :bike:
It's a sweet bike for sure, especially since it weighs in (stock) at around 40 lbs. As e-bikes go, this one supposedly has a more "non-e-bike" feel to it, meaning the pedal assist is less assist-y if that makes sense. (Just what I've read and heard about it.) It's probably the perfect fit for what you like to ride. I bet it will feel sooo nimble compared to what you were on.
The only thing that I need to change on this bike for now is pedals. It has basic pedals on it so I'll be looking for something sweet to ad a bit of fun.

Do I go black to stay sleek? Or, do I go with something splashy/blingy?

Ideas are welcome!

*Also, he put the white Trek stickers on it, which I may pull off for the black on black look.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That bike is a ROCKET! Kind of a hardtail with privileges. I've got the analog version coming my way, and can't wait. Trek took that bike, and amongst a few other tweaks, added a 120 mm travel fork, which is the only real change I'm making, and which I think you'll love.

Looking forward to your impressions.

The bike is a rocket, however I am not. The hope is that this bike will inspire riding greatness
1622217985554.png

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I had a post holder in the 2nd post of this thread for my maiden voyage.
See above.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This video was helpful to me.
The guy is a little dry but, informative.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The only thing that I need to change on this bike for now is pedals. It has basic pedals on it so I'll be looking for something sweet to ad a bit of fun.

Do I go black to stay sleek? Or, do I go with something splashy/blingy?
I ordered these pedals. Now, do I want to accessorize with purple grips? :popcorn:
Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 10.35.05 PM.png

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I originally saw the picture of your new bike, I thought it was a non-e bike. It really doesn’t look like an ebike. I’m happy you now have a bike that fits!

You’ve inspired me to get out on my old Yeti ARCc. It’s not your fancy ebike, but its a sweet ride and I love its simplicity and light weight. I just ordered some matching teal pedals!

In no time you should be giving Phil a run for his money on Peavine. ogsmile

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In no time you should be giving Phil a run for his money on Peavine. ogsmile
LOL you funny!

The Fazua/Trek system is a bit of a learning curve. There isn't quite as much power as there is in the Bosch system @Philpug has, but I think it will be good in the long run and help me develop better skills.
It is definitely more nimble than the Habit Neo.

On the ride yesterday I felt like the assist was fading in and out while I was climbing but that may be more about my cadence than the assist system.
@Jersey Skier @Tom_K Any thoughts on that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsor

Staff online