• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TV coverage for 2020-2021?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Last year and maybe the year before too, the races in Austria were available online with Snow Pass, without commentators, but they were not shown on television, except the delayed broadcast of Kitzbuehel, or anyway that’s the only one I remember. It should be possible to watch every race on ORF with a VPN.
True.

NBC seems to have decided that they're not interested in my money. Everything stopped working last spring - cycle and snow pass. Emailed support a bunch of times and ... Crickets. I salvaged the bike race season via FloSports, but they don't have skiing, apparently.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
eh, there were no austrian races last year (except Kitz, on a 1-day delay), so ... idk why this year would be different
Actually the NBC Snow Pass has had all the races including the Austrian ones — I've subscribed for the past two years. It's the Olympic Channel that doesn't have the Austrian races. I'm not sure why there's this discrepancy since they're both NBC products. Maybe because the Snow Pass doesn't have any commentary.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Actually the NBC Snow Pass has had all the races including the Austrian ones — I've subscribed for the past two years. It's the Olympic Channel that doesn't have the Austrian races. I'm not sure why there's this discrepancy since they're both NBC products. Maybe because the Snow Pass doesn't have any commentary.
my bad. I haven't shelled out more for the snow pass before, and I'm not going to start now. NBC/Comcast gets enough of my money already.

streaming vs. broadcast maybe?

either way, i'll just use a VPN to get a euro feed for the austrian races

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually the NBC Snow Pass has had all the races including the Austrian ones — I've subscribed for the past two years.
HAS HAD. Agree. But what about this year? Google "NBC Snow Pass" and every single hit is for the 2019-20 season. Very happy to be proved wrong! Has anyone actually used the Snow Pass to view 2020 Sölden replays, for example?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you get this working, can you post or IM specific instructions? I know @Rudi Riet does this for cycling but I have not been able to make it work on my Android despite lots of trying. I do have a vpn.
I take from the deafening crickets that your average third grader could figure this out and that my question is not worthy of a response. Yes, I have Googled the topic. Is this one of those things that we're not allowed to discuss?

Some of the blockers that I'm finding:
  1. You seem to have to pay for a Eurosport subscription. Most sources seem to imply that this is not the case.
  2. If I try to pay - say for just one month - my payment is rejected regardless of whether I'm on the vpn or not. England, France, whatever. I have frequently bought products from Europe before with no issues.
  3. Even if I clear all caches and data for Google Play and restart my phone, I can't install any of the Eurosport players or apps. "Not available in your country." Again this is regardless of location of vpn host.
What am I missing? Feel free to PM. Thanks in advance.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I dont think Snow Pass 20-21 is available yet, nor have I seen anything onwhether they plan to offer it again. I haven seen anything like a renewal notice in my email. Seriously doubt they will include Sölden replays this time though.

I have no experience with Eurosport, but maybe they can tell that your payment is coming from outside Europe and block it for that reason? Just guessing - maybe the other purchases were not geo-restricted?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
:doh:

Only the first run.

TS
Gnorris2

Gnorris2

Booting up
Skier
I take from the deafening crickets that your average third grader could figure this out and that my question is not worthy of a response. Yes, I have Googled the topic. Is this one of those things that we're not allowed to discuss?

Some of the blockers that I'm finding:
  1. You seem to have to pay for a Eurosport subscription. Most sources seem to imply that this is not the case.
  2. If I try to pay - say for just one month - my payment is rejected regardless of whether I'm on the vpn or not. England, France, whatever. I have frequently bought products from Europe before with no issues.
  3. Even if I clear all caches and data for Google Play and restart my phone, I can't install any of the Eurosport players or apps. "Not available in your country." Again this is regardless of location of vpn host.
What am I missing? Feel free to PM. Thanks in advance.

I bugged NBC and they finally told me that there will be a snow pass this year available before Levi. Not clear if that includes the other important Austrian races. Not clear how much will be on NBC Sports Olympic channel with actual commentary (Steve Schlanger / Steve Porrino). The NBC gold Snow Pass stream is sans any commentary unless you can make out the PA in German, French, or Italian.

we’ll see what happens ...

TS
Gnorris2

Gnorris2

Booting up
Skier
And I had the same problem with Eurosport; even with VPN, the paywall wants a payment from a source in the same country. I can’t figure out how to VPN my bank ....

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
HAS HAD. Agree. But what about this year? Google "NBC Snow Pass" and every single hit is for the 2019-20 season. Very happy to be proved wrong! Has anyone actually used the Snow Pass to view 2020 Sölden replays, for example?
Exactly, that's why I was asking about this year. It's the first time the Snow Pass has taken so long to go on sale. Now it seems that it'll be ready for Levi, but I guess we're still not sure about whether the Austrian races will be included.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just got an email alerting me that NBC’s ski coverage is now going to be part of Peacock Premium, which is $4.99/month. Looks like the Snow Pass is gone.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I just got an email alerting me that NBC’s ski coverage is now going to be part of Peacock Premium, which is $4.99/month. Looks like the Snow Pass is gone.
if that is the case and they cover all the races as snowpass did, that is a way better deal at $20 for four months.
I won’t even bother changing my DISH package to include the Olympic channel as I have in the past.
Of course that will all be contingent on whether there is a full race season. The parallel event scheduled for Lech Austria has already been postponed.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
if that is the case and they cover all the races as snowpass did
Eeyore bets that it will only have the small handful of races that are covered on NBC broadcast TV in the U.S.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Well that sounds promising!

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
This service seems to be included with Xfinity. Nice, I just switched to Xfinity a few months ago.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Just heard back from NBC ... they say that the NBC Sports Gold Ski Pass will be available after Oct 15. Had to wait while they checked when I called. Let’s hope they’re correct ... not much time till the Solden GS oct 17-18!
Well that sounds promising!
This service seems to be included with Xfinity. Nice, I just switched to Xfinity a few months ago.

For those who haven't used Peacock yet, its a very antiquated platform, its not in 4K HDR and has a LOT of commercials. I would gladly pay for a clean, HDR feed and no commercials.