• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Élan Ripstick touring and resort ski?

Denis Head

Booting up
Skier
Hello

i am looking at the Elan Ripstick 96 as a ski I can use a side touring ski et double as ski when we get powder And glades in the east (Quebec). Was wondering of the Ripstick 96 Or 106 would be a good ski that could do double duty. What length would youget for a 195 lb. 5’9´´ guy who doesn’t ski aggressively. 174 or 180
Ant other ski recommendations are welcome

thanks

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For your size and not skiing aggressively- the RS 180 in the regular build, aka the 19-20 model in the 96 is a solid choice given your skiing description and your location. If you think you’ll be skiing more western softer snow the 106 is definitely worth a look as well but the 96 is surprisingly versatile and my go to in up to 12-24” if fresh.
Want to spice it up a notch the 20- 21 version has a blend of the original 19 version with the outgoing RS black layup, yeah they had a few too many options.

Me: 5’10” 180lbs, skiing the RS Black 96 inbounds and the 180 106 regular build for touring. May pick up another pair of the 106 black or the new 106, they are a really fun ski.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
For your size and not skiing aggressively- the RS 180 in the regular build, aka the 19-20 model in the 96 is a solid choice given your skiing description and your location. If you think you’ll be skiing more western softer snow the 106 is definitely worth a look as well but the 96 is surprisingly versatile and my go to in up to 12-24” if fresh.
Want to spice it up a notch the 20- 21 version has a blend of the original 19 version with the outgoing RS black layup, yeah they had a few too many options.

Me: 5’10” 180lbs, skiing the RS Black 96 inbounds and the 180 106 regular build for touring. May pick up another pair of the 106 black or the new 106, they are a really fun ski.
I've been thinking about the newer version of the RS 96 or the black version for mainly on trail skiing. Is the black a decent choice for on trail skier looking for a semi easy going ski for a 5'8" 150 lbs guy? I'm considering the Rustler 9 too

Thanks, Larry

TS
D

Denis Head

Booting up
Skier

Thanks for the reply. How do they ski in trees and bumps?
I was also looking at the atomic Bent chetler 100. Looks like a lite and fun ski

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I've been thinking about the newer version of the RS 96 or the black version for mainly on trail skiing. Is the black a decent choice for on trail skier looking for a semi easy going ski for a 5'8" 150 lbs guy? I'm considering the Rustler 9 too

Thanks, Larry
I think you would like that RS96, versatile ski.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Larry, I haven’t skied the R9 but got a few laps on demo day on their bigger siblings the R10 and 11 and felt both their mounts a little forward for my liking. Your H /W and semi easy going as you described, I would look at the outgoing or current model.
Denis, the bent 100 is also a fine choice and on the finesse, fun / finesse side as well.
Suffice to say with 75ish or so days before the shutdown ( lost count ), I would think 60 to 65 were on the RS with some low tide and deep days on others. The 106s got the touring duty after the shutdown including a STEEP July couloir day with heavy snow and looking to get some more inbound days on them this year. All the current and outgoing models are actually shorter than stated. Blister has a nice write up on the outgoing model that is worth a read and again the 96 is as close to a OSQ for the west and a good choice for your wider east coast option. Interesting side note, I believe the 106 has the same turn radius as the 96 but would think a bit wide for everyday bumps IMO.
Watching Dan Egan, ski hall of fame and local steep and deep guru ski the regular 106 all the time and everywhere is impressive but he’s in a league of his own.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
just adding the Black 180, 96 is a fantastic ski. I haven't personally skied the new model but everyone whose opinion I value says its nearly equal to the Black. Great in trees and soft bumps. I only ski this on powder days (like @BS Slarver ) I've skied I up to knee deep without issue but it will rail soft groomers. I found the mount point to be about 2cms forward for my liking so beware, if possible, demo first. I just remounted. its a really fun ski but can deliver.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Early last season I got RS 88s for somewhat similar reasons: spring bumps and post lift season backcountry. The skis are great when the snow is light and fresh or soft packed. But Mt. Baker is more often heavy and chunky. Everyday I took the Ripsticks out in these conditions I found myself heading back to the car to swap out for my Fischer Ranger FRs, which made a world of difference.

I'm not familiar with Quebec powder, but if you plan to spend a lot of time skiing through heavy crud or refrozen chunks, I would suggest skis with more mass.

TS
D

Denis Head

Booting up
Skier
Early last season I got RS 88s for somewhat similar reasons: spring bumps and post lift season backcountry. The skis are great when the snow is light and fresh or soft packed. But Mt. Baker is more often heavy and chunky. Everyday I took the Ripsticks out in these conditions I found myself heading back to the car to swap out for my Fischer Ranger FRs, which made a world of difference.

I'm not familiar with Quebec powder, but if you plan to spend a lot of time skiing through heavy crud or refrozen chunks, I would suggest skis with more mass.

we don’t get much powder, lots of ice and mixed snow. What Fischer FR do you ski with? How are they climbing and what bindings do you use?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I haven't skied a lot of deep-snow skis, but I have skied the old Ripstick 96 in 180 cm, and I am very familiar with Ontario and Quebec snow.

From what I recall of the 180 RS96, it seems to me to be the perfect balance between an on-piste ski and a deep-snow soft snow tree ski, but to me that's not a good thing.

It is like an all season tire. There are so many better true winter tires, and so many true high performance summer or at least pavement-biased tires, and having driven many of them, I could never be satisfied with the all-season compromise. I have race skis and carving skis that are 68 mm at the waist in a wide range of radii, and coming soon, a 108 mm wide full rockered ski for soft snow (finally). Obviously I think you would be better off with a quiver of at least two skis, one wide with full rocker and 19 or greater radius, and one narrow with camber, but to each his/her own.

Folks have complained that the RS 96 is not comfy at high speeds. It's true, it won't have the composure at a mile a minute that a speed ski has, but it can handle the speed well enough that its stability (or lack there-of) wouldn't stop me from enjoying it at those speeds; it would just feel very fast, and not make 50 mph feel like the ski was just waking up.

Knowing what I know about eastern Quebec snow conditions, I think the Black Edition would move the set point closer to the hard snow end of the spectrum, at the expense of the soft snow suitability. Given that you have already compromised the soft snow ability so much already, by not having a true soft snow ski, what's a little bit more? It (the black edition) would probably be a better bet for the all-season ski given the seasons where you ski.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I'm on Head Kores. However I have 99s mounted with an alpine binding, and 105s with a tech binding.

Really, the binding is the limiter. A tech binding without an AFD is notorious for tib fib breaks. For that extra thousand bucks, or whatever, it isn't worth it for me to risk a injury.

TS
D

Denis Head

Booting up
Skier
I haven't skied a lot of deep-snow skis, but I have skied the old Ripstick 96 in 180 cm, and I am very familiar with Ontario and Quebec snow.

From what I recall of the 180 RS96, it seems to me to be the perfect balance between an on-piste ski and a deep-snow soft snow tree ski, but to me that's not a good thing.

It is like an all season tire. There are so many better true winter tires, and so many true high performance summer or at least pavement-biased tires, and having driven many of them, I could never be satisfied with the all-season compromise. I have race skis and carving skis that are 68 mm at the waist in a wide range of radii, and coming soon, a 108 mm wide full rockered ski for soft snow (finally). Obviously I think you would be better off with a quiver of at least two skis, one wide with full rocker and 19 or greater radius, and one narrow with camber, but to each his/her own.

Folks have complained that the RS 96 is not comfy at high speeds. It's true, it won't have the composure at a mile a minute that a speed ski has, but it can handle the speed well enough that its stability (or lack there-of) wouldn't stop me from enjoying it at those speeds; it would just feel very fast, and not make 50 mph feel like the ski was just waking up.

Knowing what I know about eastern Quebec snow conditions, I think the Black Edition would move the set point closer to the hard snow end of the spectrum, at the expense of the soft snow suitability. Given that you have already compromised the soft snow ability so much already, by not having a true soft snow ski, what's a little bit more? It (the black edition) would probably be a better bet for the all-season ski given the seasons where you ski.
I like your point about the width, I have the Brahma 82 and I am thinking going wider with bindings like the shift. If I choose a ski in the 90´s line the volkl blaze I wonder if I might end up using it more than the brahma 82.

decisions decisions...

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I believe the OP was originally looking for

“a side touring ski et double as ski when we get powder And glades in the east (Quebec). Was wondering of the Ripstick 96 Or 106 would be a good ski that could do double duty. What length would youget for a 195 lb. 5’9´´ guy who doesn’t ski aggressively. 174 or 180”
I don’t ski eastern Quebec but a mile a minute isn’t what was asked for and perhaps an all season season tire might be a good fit.
Obviously if one want to rip at high speed that there are many better options than a powder, glade, side tour ski

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Last year's regular RS96 in 181 cm. The shorter one has too short a turn radius.
This year's RS96 in 180 cm.
As BS Slarver said, OP is not looking to ski fast. My point was that even if he did ski fast on occasion it would not be an disaster waiting to happen.

I can't say much about the 106 as I haven't tried it. (but based on other skis I have tried I ended up ordering a 108 ski for my deep snow tree ski).

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
we don’t get much powder, lots of ice and mixed snow. What Fischer FR do you ski with? How are they climbing and what bindings do you use?

Ranger 102 FR, but this year moving to the 94 FR as my daily driver. Pivots on both -- I don't tour with them, but they are probably light enough to make it possible. I have Shift bindings on my Ripstick and are pretty happy with them.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Short answer is ripstick gets neither love nor hate around here. Perhaps too all mountain as Francois stated but yeah in QC you want some top end on your all mtn.

What is side touring where do you ski? Length - can you make quick mogul turns on a 180?

TS
D

Denis Head

Booting up
Skier
Short answer is ripstick gets neither love nor hate around here. Perhaps too all mountain as Francois stated but yeah in QC you want some top end on your all mtn.

What is side touring where do you ski? Length - can you make quick mogul turns on a 180?
I ended up getting the 172 length. I am starting to go in the glades and the rep told me 172 was the right size. Only concern is that I am heavy for my height and strong but not the most technical skier. I don’t ski hard cause I got an artificial hip and want a ski that is easy to ski and not to heavy going up.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ended up getting the 172 length. I am starting to go in the glades and the rep told me 172 was the right size. Only concern is that I am heavy for my height and strong but not the most technical skier. I don’t ski hard cause I got an artificial hip and want a ski that is easy to ski and not to heavy going up.
Personally, I sometimes feel that I read too much advice about getting skis longer than I would expect. I can see if a person skis 40 times year and is accomplished then go bigger but I'm betting the avg 10-15 times skier would prefer the smaller size. My .02