• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

“I ski blacks”

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Is there a bigger “tell” than when someone describes their skiing this way? Here on skitalk or elsewhere the minute I hear/read “I ski blacks and double blacks ” I automatically assume they ski like on of these:

IMG_4183.jpeg

Is the point of this whole thing to have enough guts, stupidity or skill to be able to survive a side slip down a steep hill?

Not to mention that a Snowbird or Jackson Hole blue would be a double black at a NY bump.

When I tell tourists on the chair I ski 5-6 days/week or that I’ve been skiing for almost 50 years, the response is often “wow, you must only ski blacks”. When I tell them “I’ve been doing laps on that empty green over there”. They look both confused and shocked.

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
When I was doing motorcycle stuff the better riders never engaged with average folks. It was more of an uneducated big dick contest down there. At the higher levels there is an entirely different knowledge and understanding level. It takes a long time to unpack misinformation that some people have. And there is little reward in it.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is there a bigger “tell” than when someone describes their skiing this way? Here on skitalk or elsewhere the minute I hear/read “I ski blacks and double blacks ” I automatically assume they ski like on of these:

View attachment 216289

Is the point of this whole thing to have enough guts, stupidity or skill to be able to survive a side slip down a steep hill?

Not to mention that a Snowbird or Jackson Hole blue would be a double black at a NY bump.

When I tell tourists on the chair I ski 5-6 days/week or that I’ve been skiing for almost 50 years, the response is often “wow, you must only ski blacks”. When I tell them “I’ve been doing laps on that empty green over there”. They look both confused and shocked.

It is like this all over the world. For beginners/intermediates it is a measure how good they are doing. If they did the black (in Europe that's the steepest) they did well enough. Something to be proud of.
I remember a talk we had on the gondola with an instructor and my wife-then an eager, enthusiastic and inquisitive intermediate who was (still is) also very very ambitious asked the same question: So, you are an instructor eh? You only ski blacks and reds? What is the steepest you can realistically ski? How quick do you reckon you can go down that black over there? How many loops you can do? Etc etc etc

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Dude was speechless and I was hyperventilating laughing my ass off.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I really don'

[snip]

Yes, I started skiing less than 10 years ago, and in my first season the challenge was "surviving the greens". The plan was "blues on season two, blacks on season three". By season 5 or 6, I realized that some of the places I liked the most had no "colors", though the general area would probably say "experts only", and I knew that I wasn't an expert but I could safely come down.

These days, few people if any mention "run denominations" in the chairs I ride, but when I see someone posting here and talking about the rating of the runs they run, I put it in context, and I know where they are in their journey. So it helps me help them, assuming that I can help with their question. That's about it.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The best skiers I know hardly ever talk about skiing when making small talk with other folks around the metaphorical water cooler.

It can't be small talk anymore, can it? Either engage and share fully thought out ideas or leave it.

And thus there is a choice - be the silent conceited prick or be the ski bore talking everone's ear off with esoterica.

So...geology is a good neutral ground I guess? How about that extinct volcano core over there?

It takes a long time to unpack misinformation that some people have. And there is little reward in it.

We were just debating this in regards to polarisation.

It's a little scary when any given controversy is simply considered as a case of a missing informed middle.

Last edited:

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have to retell one of my stories:

Riding up Christmas chair at Sun Valley with a couple from back East on their first day.

Me: "That's Seattle Ridge over there. Those are greens, but would be blue at most mountains."

Guy: "They would be black at Okemo."

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Good example is spring rates. It's affected by the skill of the rider as much as the course and bike. I can't think of a good ski comparison. Maybe the idea a poor skier can't work a strong ski, or some tunes aren't forgiving enough. But people will go on about what THEY think is right. So why bother?

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier

View attachment 216289

When I was in grade school, that's how we talked when we thought we were good but weren't. And decades later not much has changed.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It can't be small talk anymore, can it? Either engage and share fully thought out ideas or leave it.

And thus there is a choice - be the silent conceited prick or be the ski bore talking everone's ear off with esoterica.

So...geology is a good neutral ground I guess? How about that extinct volcano core over there?

I think you got that wrong. The talks are related to skiing but not to the process of skiing as in the Ski School forum here. I have never in my life heard experts and especially veteran expert skiers talk about dorsiflection. :ogbiggrin:
They however do talk about skis and first and foremost-about mountains, slopes, snow, waxes etc And also-about more important stuff.
The skiing itself is kinda given.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I think you got that wrong. The talks are related to skiing but not to the process of skiing as in the Ski School forum here.

Did I say 'process of'? Don't remember where I did.

They however do talk about skis and first and foremost-about mountains, slopes, snow, waxes etc

Engage at full max about wax or leave it.

Mountains - well that's geology innit?

And also-about more important stuff.

So...ever wanted to paddle an asteroid impact lake?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid