• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

“I ski blacks”

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I made a career out of fish (research and production); let's not dwell on fish.

Re: expert ...... smacks of perfection, which as Sr. Storaro knows, is unachievable.

Bob Peters

JHMR Ambassador
Industry Insider
The best of them are certified Master Casting Instructors (MCI) and lead guides who seasonally swap hemispheres. Like any profession, when they get off work they don't want to talk about work.
I'm a bit confused by that statement.

I do quite a lot of flyfishing and know a fair number of guides who work many parts of the world. They may not want to talk about "work" when they're off the clock, but my own experience is that they will talk for hours about fish and fishing and flies and flows.

But they hardly EVER talk about casting, per se. Unless they're casting instructors. Hmmmmmm.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I made a career out of fish (research and production); let's not dwell on fish.

So Mr. Lutes, about that fish you were talking about… :roflmao: Would it be any specific species or just fish in general. Also-would they take anything below size 16? Copper or gold heads? Questions, questions…:roflmao:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm a bit confused by that statement.

I do quite a lot of flyfishing and know a fair number of guides who work many parts of the world. They may not want to talk about "work" when they're off the clock, but my own experience is that they will talk for hours about fish and fishing and flies and flows.

But they hardly EVER talk about casting, per se. Unless they're casting instructors. Hmmmmmm.

Exactly. Casting same as skiing itself is a given.

-There we are on the mighty Kaitum in Sweden, long nymphing for graylings, waist deep in water and they were spooky and smart-kept at the edge of the main current and we needed to cast 5 meters into the backing each time, hard work I’ll tell you that and they only took size 16 blackhead grey nymphs but man, was it beautiful-huge, HUGE graylings and the mountains, the sunset…

And yada, yada, yada yada….for hours…but you will never hear about their double haul or tuck or single handed spey cast or anything like that, they just assume if you are talking to them about these things, if you are interested enough in what they have to say, you surely know how to cast. Same with skiing-in the company of old experts-coaches, former racers etc I am allowed to ski with sometimes you could sit and listen about the beauties of the Alps and Dolomites-about the runs, the snow, memories from races etc etc for HOURS and not once, not a single one time you will hear the term dorsiflexion. :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You taking questioning lessons from the wife now? :ogcool::roflmao:

Yeah, she is the worst-Excuse me, I hope you can help me, I have always been wondering about the principle of operation of a Ferris wheel, so how does it work? Could you please be more specific… :roflmao:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Say I have some friends. Now let's say they are good skiers and we have been skiing together off and on for decades. When we get together do we talk about skiing? Why yes we do. Imagine that. Do we talk about technique and carving and who's a better bump skier? No we dont. We talk about mountains and runs and powder and terrain.

Do all you ski talkers like to talk about skiing? Maybe too much.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I ski mostly exclamation marks, so pffft to all the black skiers.

Anybody else old enough to remember before the days of double blacks that JH rated some of their sportier runs with a yellow triangle that had a red exclamation mark in its center?!

Hi, new poster here at skitalk. I ski mostly blues and blacks. What skis should I buy?

Coincidentally, the exact ones I'm selling!

I do quite a lot of flyfishing and know a fair number of guides

Personal detour, but do you know an old guide named Doug Meyer? I had a blast skiing with him during my bumming season, and we once had an epic wrestling match on the Thunder unloading platform. It was a low snow year. Bets were laid. Spectators abounded. A beer or two may have been involved. :roflmao:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll admit we talk about technique a fair amount. Sometimes helping improving skiers (only if it's wanted). Sometimes gossiping that "so and so is skiing a lot better this year." Sometimes discussing finer points (e.g. reaching or non-reaching pole plants on steeps, or the importance of getting to a true neutral at transition in bottomless mashed potatoes.) Or subversively telling someone in the Grumpiverse about the direct line in bumps.

We don't rehash the same old points, though.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Anybody else old enough to remember before the days of double blacks that JH rated some of their sportier runs with a yellow triangle that had a red exclamation mark in its center?!

And now Big Sky has one upped everyone the last couple of years with their triple blacks!

We don't rehash the same old points, though.

Hmm... I'm thinking this may be a case of poor memory, rather than actually not re-hashing :P

Sponsor

Staff online