• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

“I ski blacks”

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The conclusion I gleamed was that, as with many things, the higher ones skill level the greater their recognition of how far they need to go to achieve true mastery. Compared to most friends and coworkers I've skied with I could be considered an "expert". When compared to the truly good to great skiers I have had the opportunity to tag along with I suck and will always suck no matter how hard I work at it.

But you're sucking at a higher level now, so at least you got that going for you :ogbiggrin:

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You guys out West have an entire other level of "Suck" that hasn't been mentioned when it comes to Eastern visitors. I've had beginners out west, hand me my east coast lungs & legs in a BAG!!!!!! It's tough getting absolutely trounced hiking the peak w/ a buddy who casually chats and marathons all the way on the hike up, and watching him rip you a new one in a stem and christie off the peak all because you can't breathe!!!!! LMAO Been there...... done that! :beercheer:

One of my buds was a "weak" intermediate Tele skier at the time (I was actually the first one to ever hike him up to the top of the peak on skis) but lived out in the mountains of Chama and hiked off season, all the time. We got to the start of one particular trek up and he jumped on the hike before everyone else. Line of around 15 of us hiking up, absolutely sucking wind and on the limit w/ his intense pacing. He stops halfway up, looks down the S turn steps, finds me at the end of the line struggling, looks at me w/ a shit eating grin and yells Mark, watch this!..... He SPRINTS the entire rest of the hike ALL THE F'N way up the peak. NOBODY moved and we all just watched!!! OMG I was hurting too badly to laugh at the moans and groans as they watched him. Eventually, the group all started moving again.... The comments were INSANE!!!!:beercheer:

There's all kinds of levels.... and sometimes self designated experts can be beginners and the other way around! How do you measure guys that can break trail ALL DAY LONG and easily hike the peak 5x in a day, but ski like they are struggling in the deep??? :huh:

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With that in mind, @dbostedo, @Tricia, @Philpug, and I were at Palisades a couple of years ago. Conditions were pea soup/ping pong ball/flat out crappy vis with manky, chopped up terrain. In our little group we also had Daron Rahlves and his kids for a few runs. At least I think they were with us. I saw them on the chair. Once off the chair and chatting stopped Daron took off with some massively powerful skates and disappeared into the ether. I went, soon to hear more than see ZIP ZIP as his kids went by. Consistency in all conditions. When we got to the bottom he graciously allowed that visibility was a little tough. There's always a bigger, stronger, faster fish.
That was with @Justin Koski, me and @Philpug
Daron had super dark goggles on and when we mentioned the visibility he simply said, "Ya, it can be hard to see on days like this"
Meanwhile he skied like it was bluebird.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That was with @Justin Koski, me and @Philpug
Daron had super dark goggles on and when we mentioned the visibility he simply said, "Ya, it can be hard to see on days like this"
Meanwhile he skied like it was bluebird.
Oops, not @dbostedo. You should have been there Dave!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, they farmed the work out to me. I didn't quite understand the mission, so I kept trying to help him. We were on either Ernie's or North American. He did ok at the top and fell apart as he got tired.

You did fine for your first AA session. Nobody died. He only had to take a day off.
Mamie is a old hand at it. I am sure she kept you honest.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I'm sure I've mentioned this a couple of other places on here... but when there is a large group of skiers waiting to ski-off for Taos group lessons, most of the instructors will tell you they'd get almost everyone into the right groups just by looking at how they stand on their skis, and maybe move a bit around the lodge, without ever seeing them ski.

Yeah, pretty much. Watching 3 skates to the lift line confirms things.

fundad77

Aspiring Ski Bum
Skier
Everything is relative. Compared to the beginners I teach on the bunny hill all season, I am absolutely an expert skier. Compared to Candide, I am an absolute beginner. A person saying they ski blacks is just a way they define their progress relative to where they started. I've also seen level 2 instructors get humbled real fast on greens in clinics so there are truly no absolutes.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
What do you mean? What did you wear before that between the car and the lift?
Boots, helmet, ski socks and sometimes even my ski pants go on in the lodge. I've even been known to strip down to briefs at the end of the day to put my jeans and sneakers on before my long drive home. In NE most people don't bat an eye and you can carry on a conversation with them while you do it, OTOH, I've gotten some strange looks in UT.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I boot up inside, everything stays in the bag until then. Hmmm. Maybe I should be more careful in the parking lot!

Ah, I see, that´s different. Here if you dont’ stay at a ski-to-door hotel at the resort, you drive to the parking lot suited up, then boot up there put helmet on and walk 20-50 meters to the lift so the helmet is always on.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If I boot up inside the lodge, which I mostly, but, not always do, my helmet goes on and off in the lodge. Maybe I should start wearing it to and from the car? Not a terrible idea... Think I'll compromise and wear it when walking conditions are treacherous.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah, I see, that´s different. Here if you dont’ stay at a ski-to-door hotel at the resort, you drive to the parking lot suited up, then boot up there put helmet on and walk 20-50 meters to the lift so the helmet is always on.
It's often like that here, too, at big western resorts. Here in the east, where civilization persists against all odds, there is a thing called a "base lodge." It's a big public room with tables and chairs, where skiers can change, eat, store a bag with extra clothes, etc.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
It's often like that here, too, at big western resorts. Here in the east, where civilization persists against all odds, there is a thing called a "base lodge." It's a big public room with tables and chairs, where skiers can change, eat, store a bag with extra clothes, etc.
I have to give Killington credit for not ruining this with the new K1 base lodge. The bottom floor has padded benches to boot up as well as shelves and lockers to store your gear. They also have a "free" bag check upstairs but I always tip the attendant especially if I need to access it a couple times in a day. Booting up in the car sucks most of the time, IMO.

Sponsor

Staff online