• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review “Useless” Powder Skis

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tongue in cheek title aside, I’m aware that there is active debate about whether anyone needs wide skis on this site. That said, I own quite a few wide skis and I actually got to use them this year in their intended conditions despite high pressure dominating weather west of the Mississippi due to a combination of planning and luck for some inbounds days combined with cash outlays to heli ski operators.

Here are some thoughts on the fat skis I’ve used this year for some helicopter accessed runs. My hope is that this information is useful to someone (e.g. here) because there really aren’t a ton of reports I’ve read about typical heli conditions and optimal tools for them. I am happy to comment on some powder skis I like more for inbounds things if anyone cares.

About me: I’m a large person at 6 ft, 220 lbs and would self classify as a strong lifelong amateur in terms of ability. My general style was memorably described by a guide on one of these trips as a “freight train” after I double ejected on a steeper and firmer than expected roller into a fully aerial front flip so I am definitely on the "power" side of the spectrum. For powder, I tend to prefer skis in ~190+ cm lengths (or the longest available length of most models).

A note on conditions: I ended up flying in a helicopter to ski for 5 days this season, 1 in the lower 48 and 4 days in Alaska. Snowpack was broadly comparable between the locations and my groups primarily skied medium density settled powder with some faceting (faceting more so in Alaska, less the single day). I would describe the snow as nice and supportive, but to get the weightless feeling I can sometimes access in very deep inbounds (24 inch+) powder I often needed to be going fast because the snow was not inherently “light” feeling.

Terrain was mellow because of avalanche hazard combined with high alpine terrain both places. By mellow, I mean that I routinely ski higher consequence terrain inbounds than anything I accessed out of a helicopter this year. My understanding is that trying to ski “movie” lines that are substantially steeper than I accessed requires better luck with weather than I had and possibly a different group set up.

With that out of the way, here are the skis I used for the heli days.

Ski #1 – ON3P Cease and Desist 189 cm ; Binding: STH2 16

I used this one for the day in the lower 48. The shape is basically a scaled up previous generation ON3P Billy Goat with a slightly lighter core and the ON3P Billy Goat is a powder ski I really like using inbounds so I had high hopes. The most impressive attribute of the ski was that it offered truly incredible flotation even at my height and weight. I couldn’t get far enough forward to sink the tips, even at modest speeds, in the consolidated pow. This is not true for me of the narrower Billy Goat where I have to be conscious of my fore aft balance at the start of a run.

The other very cool thing about the Cease and Desist is that it is easy to break free and pivot. The runouts from high alpine bowls for this day often went through somewhat tight natural forests and I never felt tired from needing to reposition the ski to avoid the trees. Also, if I wanted to throw in a sideways drift for fun while skiing open terrain it was easy to accomplish.

However, there is a bit of a paradox in that while the Cease and Desist felt very agile in certain respects it also felt “clumsy” or “boxy” and had some issues tracking in straight lines at high speed. To explain that a bit, the clumsiness/boxy-ness I’m referring to is a less extreme version of the feeling I get trying to use similarly wide skis on hard pack where engaging the ski into a turn would make it push back pretty hard on my boot. For the Cease and Desist in these conditions, I hypothesize the feeling came from an interaction of the exceptional float the skis offered with the somewhat dense snow and occasional crusts or other funkiness in the natural snow pack. Basically, I think the skis were a bit floatier than I would have preferred for this snow consistency.

The issue I perceived with straight line stability, I think, came from a somewhat too soft flex where I occasionally got some deflection. This was a less systemic problem than the apparent clumsiness and I’m not totally certain how much it may have been influenced by natural snow pack variability or operator error.

• Verdict – I think I would like the Cease and Desist in lower density deep soft snow where the flotation would be at a premium. I suspect it would be an excellent choice for BC style terrain looking at ski movies filmed there, but for me in these conditions it was good and not great.

Ski #2 – DPS Koala 119 189 cm ; Binding: STH2 13

These are a very stiff twin tip that weighs a lot. For skiing chop inbounds (I tried them in resort on a powder day before Alaska), this seems like it could be a magical combination if you have a lot of room to let them run. I was also optimistic about how they would handle more variable conditions in Alaska because I often find I like to have some extra mass in my skis for that.

My particular pair had some issues with the tune that are hopefully being remedied this off season. I also had problems finding a balance point on the ski that let me keep the tips up without pushing me into the back seat. This is possibly related to the mount point for the ski at -6.45 cm from center and I think the stiff flex exacerbates the control problem that created for me.

At present, I am hopeful that the tune will make me feel more comfortable on them next year. They have enough promise I’m willing to keep trying to figure them out, even though I didn’t like them much this year.

• Verdict – TBD, trying to keep an open mind. Maybe I don’t like forward mount points in powder?

Ski #3 – DPS Lotus 124 Alchemist 191 cm ; Binding: Pivot 15

This was, for a long time, Blister Reviewer Paul Forward’s favorite Alaskan pow ski. Now that I’ve taken it heli skiing, I completely understand why he rated it so highly and it was definitely by far my favorite of the three skis for that application. I am quite sad that DPS seems to have significantly changed the shape of the ski when they updated it to have a “Pagoda” core.

Paul wrote a lot about why he thinks the Lotus 124 is a great ski. He both heli skis much more than I have (or likely ever will) and is more articulate. I am not going to try to fully recap the great things about the ski for heli skiing, but I will try to give some context to what I thought was uniquely excellent about it for this application compared to all powder skis I’ve used inbounds or out.

The best part of the Lotus 124 for me was the degree of control it created. At speed, the ski tended to dig the tail in while plaining the font out. This position made it super easy to push into the tips of the ski and arc across the fall line into whatever turn shape I wanted to access or simply go straight down. They weren’t quite as easy to drift as the Cease and Desist at low speed, likely because the Lotus has a much more “normal” side cut profile, but at the same time it was never a struggle to slarve or slide the Lotus with a bit of speed. I can’t think of too many weaknesses in consistent pow or pow with occasional sun and wind crusts, but I don’t think it floats quite as well as the Cease and Desist. While I could imagine wanting more float than the Lotus offers in exceptionally deep dry powder, I don't have any particular reason to think the Lotus 124 would be a "bad" choice in epic conditions. Rather, I feel I can't know whether it would be the "best" choice given my experience with the skis so far.

I did use the Lotus once inbounds on a 12 inch pow day with some wind loading to see how it felt before getting dropped off on a mountain top. The snow inbounds was much lighter than what I was skiing out of a helicopter and provided a more normal way of assessing float for me because I have much more experience skiing limited depth light pow inbounds than extremely deep but consolidated pow out of bounds. The Lotus 124 floats very well, perhaps unsurprisingly given it's dimensions, in light snow. I would need to spend more time skiing this kind of snowpack to be definitive, but I would say the float is as good as you would expect for a 124 underfoot ski with a big shovel. It also handles tight spaces well because it is so light it's very easy to pivot around at my height and weight.

Last, the Alchemist core is definitely impressively damp for its weight, but I don’t think the Lotus would be a first choice for inbounds chop or crud where I would much prefer something like the Koala (even with balance point issues I have had there). I do agree with what Paul said about the Lotus carving surprisingly well for it's width, so if that were more important for your inbounds pow ski than soft chop I could see a case for it.

• Verdict – Really excellent choice for Alaskan heli skiing. Not sure if that would translate to the current version or not. While the Lotus 124 is an excellent out of bounds powder ski (I could easily imagine side country laps some place like Jackson or short tours on my pair in addition to helicopter or snow cat powered laps), I don’t necessarily think it’s the best choice for inbounds days. In fact, I own at least 3 skis I would prefer for all but a handful of inbounds powder days I have ever experienced.

A brief note on other people's skis, almost all of the other guests were on K2 Pon2oons available from our hosts. I never felt particularly tempted to try the Pon2oons out. The Pon2oons seemed relatively soft and I think are more optimized for making powder and crust easy to ski than high speed performance.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
When I saw the title, I was thinking of powder skis that are useless in anything other than untracked powder as there are lots of those out there! Haha

Would agree with your findings on the the above skis and I’m sure if something feels off about the tune on the Koala, it probably is. Find my gut is always right when it comes that.
Another difference worth considering if you don’t have any other skis with the STH2 13 in your quiver is binding delta. If the ON3P had the 22 STH2 16 with the updated sliding AFD, the delta drops from 6mm in the old STH2 16(and current STH2 13) to around 4mm. The pivot 15 is a very flat 1mm delta.

So a base not flat combined with a larger binding delta than you’re used to might be causing some problems. Mounts of the other two skis aren’t too much further back(1.25-1.5cm) but their improved float and flatter bindings might be more forgiving of stance.

TS
A

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Would agree with your findings on the the above skis and I’m sure if something feels off about the tune on the Koala, it probably is. Find my gut is always right when it comes that.
Another difference worth considering if you don’t have any other skis with the STH2 13 in your quiver is binding delta. If the ON3P had the 22 STH2 16 with the updated sliding AFD, the delta drops from 6mm in the old STH2 16(and current STH2 13) to around 4mm. The pivot 15 is a very flat 1mm delta.

So a base not flat combined with a larger binding delta than you’re used to might be causing some problems. Mounts of the other two skis aren’t too much further back(1.25-1.5cm) but their improved float and flatter bindings might be more forgiving of stance.

Re: tune - it did turn out they were railed and I had them ground flat on my return to home base. On the off chance my season isn't over yet, I do intend to try them again. Sorry about the tense confusion in my post (been working on it for a while).

The bindings are a factor I hadn't considered though now that you mention it, it makes a lot of sense. Thank you very much.

I have the STH2 WTR toes which would be much more delta than the Pivots on most of the quiver or even the two skis I have set up with Wardens (I believe 3.5mm). I am aware of consciously adjusting to my pins which are only 1mm more of delta than the STH apparently has so it's quite possible that's a big piece of the equation. Certainly the slightly more forward mount, more symmetric shape and extra delta could be having a compounding effect all together making it very hard to balance for me. Will see about possible solutions there.

I'm a bit reluctant to remount with Pivots just because it is actually quite nice to have a fixed heel to step into out of a helicopter (the Lotus I put Pivots on in case I wanted to go CAST at some later date). The turntable heels on Pivots are a bit finicky, especially if you need to get out of a drop off zone and post hole up to your hips if you're not on skis (not that I would know from first hand experience :roflmao:).

Edit: also, just because I feel like all I've done is complain about the Koala's and never really explained what "promise" I see in them, it's pretty simple. They seem impossible to deflect with anything short of a boulder sized rock and are an interesting take on the "charger/gun" version of a powder ski.

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Glad that the skis were actually off as you may be good now with getting those flat and making sure the base bevels are even at 1 degree.
An edge high ski will be harder to pivot and make those skis feel even heavier and more demanding. Hopefully you won’t have to even worry about binding delta now!

If it’s still an issue, I’d go to the flatter Warden or new Strive on them maybe.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tongue in cheek title aside, I’m aware that there is active debate about whether anyone needs wide skis on this site. That said, I own quite a few wide skis and I actually got to use them this year in their intended conditions despite high pressure dominating weather west of the Mississippi due to a combination of planning and luck for some inbounds days combined with cash outlays to heli ski operators.

Here are some thoughts on the fat skis I’ve used this year for some helicopter accessed runs. My hope is that this information is useful to someone (e.g. here) because there really aren’t a ton of reports I’ve read about typical heli conditions and optimal tools for them. I am happy to comment on some powder skis I like more for inbounds things if anyone cares.

About me: I’m a large person at 6 ft, 220 lbs and would self classify as a strong lifelong amateur in terms of ability. My general style was memorably described by a guide on one of these trips as a “freight train” after I double ejected on a steeper and firmer than expected roller into a fully aerial front flip so I am definitely on the "power" side of the spectrum. For powder, I tend to prefer skis in ~190+ cm lengths (or the longest available length of most models).

A note on conditions: I ended up flying in a helicopter to ski for 5 days this season, 1 in the lower 48 and 4 days in Alaska. Snowpack was broadly comparable between the locations and my groups primarily skied medium density settled powder with some faceting (faceting more so in Alaska, less the single day). I would describe the snow as nice and supportive, but to get the weightless feeling I can sometimes access in very deep inbounds (24 inch+) powder I often needed to be going fast because the snow was not inherently “light” feeling.

Terrain was mellow because of avalanche hazard combined with high alpine terrain both places. By mellow, I mean that I routinely ski higher consequence terrain inbounds than anything I accessed out of a helicopter this year. My understanding is that trying to ski “movie” lines that are substantially steeper than I accessed requires better luck with weather than I had and possibly a different group set up.

I used this one for the day in the lower 48. The shape is basically a scaled up previous generation ON3P Billy Goat with a slightly lighter core and the ON3P Billy Goat is a powder ski I really like using inbounds so I had high hopes. The most impressive attribute of the ski was that it offered truly incredible flotation even at my height and weight. I couldn’t get far enough forward to sink the tips, even at modest speeds, in the consolidated pow. This is not true for me of the narrower Billy Goat where I have to be conscious of my fore aft balance at the start of a run.

The other very cool thing about the Cease and Desist is that it is easy to break free and pivot. The runouts from high alpine bowls for this day often went through somewhat tight natural forests and I never felt tired from needing to reposition the ski to avoid the trees. Also, if I wanted to throw in a sideways drift for fun while skiing open terrain it was easy to accomplish.

However, there is a bit of a paradox in that while the Cease and Desist felt very agile in certain respects it also felt “clumsy” or “boxy” and had some issues tracking in straight lines at high speed. To explain that a bit, the clumsiness/boxy-ness I’m referring to is a less extreme version of the feeling I get trying to use similarly wide skis on hard pack where engaging the ski into a turn would make it push back pretty hard on my boot. For the Cease and Desist in these conditions, I hypothesize the feeling came from an interaction of the exceptional float the skis offered with the somewhat dense snow and occasional crusts or other funkiness in the natural snow pack. Basically, I think the skis were a bit floatier than I would have preferred for this snow consistency.

The issue I perceived with straight line stability, I think, came from a somewhat too soft flex where I occasionally got some deflection. This was a less systemic problem than the apparent clumsiness and I’m not totally certain how much it may have been influenced by natural snow pack variability or operator error.

• Verdict – I think I would like the Cease and Desist in lower density deep soft snow where the flotation would be at a premium. I suspect it would be an excellent choice for BC style terrain looking at ski movies filmed there, but for me in these conditions it was good and not great.

These are a very stiff twin tip that weighs a lot. For skiing chop inbounds (I tried them in resort on a powder day before Alaska), this seems like it could be a magical combination if you have a lot of room to let them run. I was also optimistic about how they would handle more variable conditions in Alaska because I often find I like to have some extra mass in my skis for that.

My particular pair had some issues with the tune that are hopefully being remedied this off season. I also had problems finding a balance point on the ski that let me keep the tips up without pushing me into the back seat. This is possibly related to the mount point for the ski at -6.45 cm from center and I think the stiff flex exacerbates the control problem that created for me.

At present, I am hopeful that the tune will make me feel more comfortable on them next year. They have enough promise I’m willing to keep trying to figure them out, even though I didn’t like them much this year.

• Verdict – TBD, trying to keep an open mind. Maybe I don’t like forward mount points in powder?

This was, for a long time, Blister Reviewer Paul Forward’s favorite Alaskan pow ski. Now that I’ve taken it heli skiing, I completely understand why he rated it so highly and it was definitely by far my favorite of the three skis for that application. I am quite sad that DPS seems to have significantly changed the shape of the ski when they updated it to have a “Pagoda” core.

Paul wrote a lot about why he thinks the Lotus 124 is a great ski. He both heli skis much more than I have (or likely ever will) and is more articulate. I am not going to try to fully recap the great things about the ski for heli skiing, but I will try to give some context to what I thought was uniquely excellent about it for this application compared to all powder skis I’ve used inbounds or out.

The best part of the Lotus 124 for me was the degree of control it created. At speed, the ski tended to dig the tail in while plaining the font out. This position made it super easy to push into the tips of the ski and arc across the fall line into whatever turn shape I wanted to access or simply go straight down. They weren’t quite as easy to drift as the Cease and Desist at low speed, likely because the Lotus has a much more “normal” side cut profile, but at the same time it was never a struggle to slarve or slide the Lotus with a bit of speed. I can’t think of too many weaknesses in consistent pow or pow with occasional sun and wind crusts, but I don’t think it floats quite as well as the Cease and Desist. While I could imagine wanting more float than the Lotus offers in exceptionally deep dry powder, I don't have any particular reason to think the Lotus 124 would be a "bad" choice in epic conditions. Rather, I feel I can't know whether it would be the "best" choice given my experience with the skis so far.

I did use the Lotus once inbounds on a 12 inch pow day with some wind loading to see how it felt before getting dropped off on a mountain top. The snow inbounds was much lighter than what I was skiing out of a helicopter and provided a more normal way of assessing float for me because I have much more experience skiing limited depth light pow inbounds than extremely deep but consolidated pow out of bounds. The Lotus 124 floats very well, perhaps unsurprisingly given it's dimensions, in light snow. I would need to spend more time skiing this kind of snowpack to be definitive, but I would say the float is as good as you would expect for a 124 underfoot ski with a big shovel. It also handles tight spaces well because it is so light it's very easy to pivot around at my height and weight.

Last, the Alchemist core is definitely impressively damp for its weight, but I don’t think the Lotus would be a first choice for inbounds chop or crud where I would much prefer something like the Koala (even with balance point issues I have had there). I do agree with what Paul said about the Lotus carving surprisingly well for it's width, so if that were more important for your inbounds pow ski than soft chop I could see a case for it.

• Verdict – Really excellent choice for Alaskan heli skiing. Not sure if that would translate to the current version or not. While the Lotus 124 is an excellent out of bounds powder ski (I could easily imagine side country laps some place like Jackson or short tours on my pair in addition to helicopter or snow cat powered laps), I don’t necessarily think it’s the best choice for inbounds days. In fact, I own at least 3 skis I would prefer for all but a handful of inbounds powder days I have ever experienced.

A brief note on other people's skis, almost all of the other guests were on K2 Pon2oons available from our hosts. I never felt particularly tempted to try the Pon2oons out. The Pon2oons seemed relatively soft and I think are more optimized for making powder and crust easy to ski than high speed performance.
Love it.

If you do have the time, I’m curious to hear your thoughts on in bounds powder skis. I don’t get any heli skiing done, but most years I do get a few weeks skiing at Niseko. For me, that mostly involves powder in trees, but pretty deep.

Anyway given my typical use your comments on in bounds powder skis will be of real interest to me.

TS
A

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Love it.

If you do have the time, I’m curious to hear your thoughts on in bounds powder skis. I don’t get any heli skiing done, but most years I do get a few weeks skiing at Niseko. For me, that mostly involves powder in trees, but pretty deep.

Anyway given my typical use your comments on in bounds powder skis will be of real interest to me.

I've never been to Japan. Given how big the gap between expectation and reality was with Alaska (I was expecting softer snow pack and was very worried about floating enough to stay on top), I'm not sure I can offer very useful advice about Japan trips. With that caveat, here are my thoughts on various powder skis I use inbounds. I will say that now I've been heli skiing, Japan is near the top of my "dream trips" list (along with skiing steeper heli lines in Alaska) so I had given this question some thought before you asked.

My favorite 12"+ tree ski is an asym ON3P Billy Goat with softer glass. The flex of that ski is pretty similar to the Cease and Desist I talked about above and for deeper snow with fewer tracks I haven't used a ski I would expect to be better than the Cease and Desist. That said, I've never tried a Praxis Protest or a reverse/reverse ski like the DPS Lotus 138. The Koala or any other stiff and heavy rocker/camber/rocker ski is not a first choice for me in the woods, though I have liked stiffer skis like the Koala for open bowl or chute skiing in bounds.

I also tried and ended up buying a Dynaster M-Free 108 in the 192 length this year which has the notable distinction of being the only <110 ski I can recall enjoying in soft snow. Most of the ~100-110 skis I use are designed to perform in crud or are "All Mountain Chargers" (borrowing a Blister category) and the M-Free is dramatically more maneuverable than something like the Legend Pro Rider while keeping a lot of the top end I can actually use (like the vast majority of non-professional skiers, I don't think I can use all of the LPR's available horse power).

If I were planning a trip to Japan, I'd probably take the M-Free 108 as a soft snow biased all mountain ski. Then I'd pair it with a reverse/reverse ski just because I've always wanted to try one and they are supposed to be amazing for conditions like that. I'm hoping to buy one of these if they get made from Heritage Labs. Alternatively, the DPS Lotus 138 definitely exists and you could buy one here (it is more expensive and the longest length is shorter than I would prefer which is a big reason I am stoked about the Heritage Lab project).

Reactions: BMC

David Out West

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I appreciate your first impressions.

I paired pre-2021 wood core DPS Lotus 124 with Marker Duke PT16 bindings this spring at great sale prices. I only skied it once, in bounds on slush… totally the wrong day for that setup. I can’t wait to get it out-of-bounds at Banff, Revelstoke or Hokkaido. At 170-175 pounds, this skier needed more float than my Head Kore 105 were providing on bottomless powder days. Paul Forward‘s review of Lotus 124 was pivotal in my purchase.

In retrospect, I am not sure pairing such a heavy binding was the best choice but it will let me do some skinning – nothing long distance, maybe a few hundred yards – in which case removing the skis to hike might have been the better choice. This ski-binding is too heavy to be considered an AT ski, so a mild case of buyer’s remorse is setting in. I am afraid of breaking the airport scales. We’ll see how it performs next season.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
This ski-binding is too heavy to be considered an AT ski, so a mild case of buyer’s remorse is setting in.

But if it’s just for shorter climbs, weight isn’t such a big deal - not enough time for remorse to set in.

I tend to find for shorter climbs, in comparison with people bootpacking/wallowing, the extra time transitioning skins on/off is more than offset by the faster progress when moving, and the whole experience is a lot more comfortable.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

Good job on this review. Thanks for such an in-depth write up, I probably will not do any heli skiing but some inbounds powder skiing is something that is always an option.

James

Out There
Instructor
Why no Praxis Protest custom at 196cm?
Would seem right up your alley.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Interesting thread although perhaps a bit dancing on a pin head for those of us that rarely have the luxury of multiple heli laps in different conditions. It sounds like you have some very specific requirements around chargerness that probably can be more diffuse for someone looking for a lift access powder or general soft condition ski. (My powder skis Whitedot Redeemer 190, Volkl Shiro 193*)

* To be fair this is a fair bit more versatile,

TS
A

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
I appreciate your first impressions.

I paired pre-2021 wood core DPS Lotus 124 with Marker Duke PT16 bindings this spring at great sale prices. I only skied it once, in bounds on slush… totally the wrong day for that setup. I can’t wait to get it out-of-bounds at Banff, Revelstoke or Hokkaido. At 170-175 pounds, this skier needed more float than my Head Kore 105 were providing on bottomless powder days. Paul Forward‘s review of Lotus 124 was pivotal in my purchase.

In retrospect, I am not sure pairing such a heavy binding was the best choice but it will let me do some skinning – nothing long distance, maybe a few hundred yards – in which case removing the skis to hike might have been the better choice. This ski-binding is too heavy to be considered an AT ski, so a mild case of buyer’s remorse is setting in. I am afraid of breaking the airport scales. We’ll see how it performs next season.

For what it's worth, I think the Duke PT could be a really solid choice. Depends on usage obviously. I have had enough Shift issues I wouldn’t trust it for heli skiing (and I’m not using a pin binding for that either), so my solution was a pair of Pivots that could be CASTified and Dukes have to be lighter than that. Don’t know how much the wood core build adds to weight for your setup. Certainly don’t think I’d be going for a long skin on mine with CAST.

Why no Praxis Protest custom at 196cm?
Would seem right up your alley.

No good reason other than I already own and semi-regularly use 3 pairs of skis over 115 underfoot (Billy Goat, Koala, Lotus 124) and purchased another one this summer (the Heritage C132 will exist!). The Protest is definitely on my short-ish list of pow skis I'd like to try some day, but I am presently pretty happy with that part of the quiver assuming my Koala feels better with a new tune.

Interesting thread although perhaps a bit dancing on a pin head for those of us that rarely have the luxury of multiple heli laps in different conditions. It sounds like you have some very specific requirements around chargerness that probably can be more diffuse for someone looking for a lift access powder or general soft condition ski. (My powder skis Whitedot Redeemer 190, Volkl Shiro 193*)

For what it’s worth, I think I agree with what you’re getting, there aren’t a ton of zones in resorts that ski anything like Alaska does out a helicopter.

If I were to try and condense this down to a news you can use point for resort powder skiing, the big takeaway to me is that it’s a mistake to focus on the “best” powder ski for you across conditions and terrain. I would advocate pretty strongly for more of a quiver thought process, or assuming you don’t want a bunch of rarely used wide skis, a focus on conditions and terrain where you will be using the ski instead of some nebulously broad "powder" category that encompasses low angle forest tours in Japan and helicopter drops in Alaska. No experience with the Whitedot or Shiro unfortunately.

David Out West

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
For what it's worth, I think the Duke PT could be a really solid choice. Depends on usage obviously. I have had enough Shift issues I wouldn’t trust it for heli skiing (and I’m not using a pin binding for that either), so my solution was a pair of Pivots that could be CASTified and Dukes have to be lighter than that. Don’t know how much the wood core build adds to weight for your setup. Certainly don’t think I’d be going for a long skin on mine with CAST.

Thank you for encouraging words. My biggest source of remorse, if you can say ‘remorse’ with a fantastic pair of deep pow skis, is the 23 meter sidecut. I don’t think I fully appreciated how much I’ve grown used to skiing smaller radii, despite having grown up on straight skis in the ‘70s - 80s. The body gradually forgets older techniques.

Without casting aspersions, I read enough about Shift issues that I was willing to accept a weight penalty on my Duke PT. A lighter binding would be a better match for a midweight AT ski. I believe in proportionality to avoid under- or overpowering the ski.

So, I do not suffer too much buyer’s remorse. I will reserve judgment ‘til I get them on conditions they were made for.

Thanks again!

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Thank you for encouraging words. My biggest source of remorse, if you can say ‘remorse’ with a fantastic pair of deep pow skis, is the 23 meter sidecut. I don’t think I fully appreciated how much I’ve grown used to skiing smaller radii, despite having grown up on straight skis in the ‘70s - 80s. The body gradually forgets older techniques.

Without casting aspersions, I read enough about Shift issues that I was willing to accept a weight penalty on my Duke PT. A lighter binding would be a better match for a midweight AT ski. I believe in proportionality to avoid under- or overpowering the ski.

So, I do not suffer too much buyer’s remorse. I will reserve judgment ‘til I get them on conditions they were made for.

Thanks again!
From my limited experience, many heli/cat guides use skis that they purchased at a deep discount or were compt’d. Whatever the shortcoming with the skis, they make it up with technique. Other than a few guides, I rarely see DPS ski, mostly due to the excessive price point.

In the past, most mechanized guides used alpine binding (a few used tech bindings), now many use Shift bindings, for obvious reasons). I have yet to talk to any guide colleagues that use Pivot or Cast bindings. That might change in the future.

Last edited: