• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

~00:27:43.02 of heart thumping action

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Less than 28 minutes is my rough estimate of all my combined race time this winter. Laughably short it you think about it. :)

Race season appears to have wrapped up for me this year, as much as I’d have loved to make the trip to Masters nationals, just not in the cards. Hope I can still ski well enough to make it worthwhile in the coming year(s)…perhaps even bump into a few of the racers on here that prowl the Masters circuit.

After completing a reasonably successful weekend warrior turned NCAA Div 1 racer, I regressed into a rec skier and enjoyed just skiing on my own terms (though I still tended to make big fast runs between forays into the woods when conditions were right.) I dabbled with a beer race league at our local 240 vertical foot, ~20 second, pseudo SL hill, but when that was cancelled last year I needed something…I found New England Masters (and bought 30m skis to accompany my SL skis) and gave it a go. Event 1 was a 2xGS on one day, those skis were a handful, I came the learn the course had some serious offset, but I was questioning my sanity…I stuck it out and ended up doing 9 races for the 2021 season, met some great people, and realized how much I missed racing.

This year I did a 4-day camp and got my 1st coaching since 1995, made some good progress, and did, IMO, well on my season goals. I now feel comfortable on the 30m skis, had some good finishes, and know areas I need to work on to get faster.

My race season was 00:27:43.02 (give or take… ) of time between the wand and the finish beam…and hours in the car, but I had a great year and, while ready for golf season, am excited to continue the journey towards gaining some of my old form and speed.

The total tally of events for 2022:
  • 7 Beer league dual pseudo-SL
  • 7 SL
  • 5 GS
  • 3 SG
  • 1 Dual GS

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice going! I played stalker and checked out your times while I was looking at the results for the North East regionals as there are some folks I know who raced them. You certainly came back with some good results.

Yes, pretty crazy the ratio of actual race time vs. ski prep, driving etc. not even counting the equipment, travel, and ticket/race fees. Still a blast though!

James

Out There
Instructor
Mikaela gets11hrs of racing and timed practice runs, for the entire year.
What camp did you do?

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Last Masters ski racing of the season today at Olympic Valley—a fun head to head parallel with a NASTAR’ish gate set around 18m.

So what ski to use? Some folks were on 25-30m GS skis, others on 13m SL skis. The two fastest individuals I observed were on roughly 180cm 18-20m skis, but my 165cm/13m Blizzard FIS RD SL were not far behind!

Going “Mano a Mano” for each successive heat brought out my competitive spirit. This was a total blast of fun that was a nice way to end the ski racing season!

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
As described in several previous posts, since starting my journey to race again, I've been experimenting with various skis, trying to find the optimal options for my Masters racing quest. I am now generally very happy with my "race quiver" for SL, GS, SG, but am still tinkering with my DH set-up. Below is what I ended up with for 2021-2022 and what I will continue to use next season (w/the possible exception of DH):

GKR Race Skis 21_22.JPG

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
GKR loosing by 0.2 sec.jpeg

Me on the blue course losing to my grad school classmate by 0.2 sec....

(He was on a Bliz 180 cheater GS and I was on the Bliz 165 FIS RD SL)

Last edited:
TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
As described in several previous posts, since starting my journey to race again, I've been experimenting with various skis, trying to find the optimal options for my Masters racing quest. I am now generally very happy with my "race quiver" for SL, GS, SG, but am still tinkering with my DH set-up. Below is what I ended up with for 2021-2022 and what I will continue to use next season (w/the possible exception of DH):
I like you dedication to one brand. :) My collection is about as diverse.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Yup. Like I wrote in another post, I try to pick the most capable ski for me in each event, based purely on my performance on them. With racing skis that is easy, as the timer does not lie. Obviously, I am not devoted to a single brand and freely use skis from a variety of vendors--whatever works best.

At this point if for some reason I could only go with one manufacturer for Masters racing--it would likely be Nordica/Blizzard or Rossi/Dynastar.

TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm very happy with the Blizzard SL skis, looking forward to testing the Blizzard GS skis I just picked up next season.

Sponsor

Staff online