• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

$100K TV or a ski trip?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Bad Bob said:
Where could you ski for $100,000.00 :popcorn:
You should start a thread... i.e. "If you won $100K that could only be used for ski trips, where would you go?"

Alright fine.

Here is mine.
Get a plane ticket to Europe for October with return flight booked for June.
Taking a backpack, ski boots. passport, phone, and toothbrush. Follow my nose with 1 pair of skis.
See ya.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am assuming I cannot buy a 50K RV (and keep) and spend the rest skiing the Powder Highway, right?

With that said, I would rent a Earthroamer or something similar that will make it through the worstest of weather actually no. I have to spend 100K? We ahve a great winter vehicle..why rough it. I'd stay in some really nice places on the trip and ski the Powder Highway for a season. I would take a break in the middle and take a trip over to Japan..you know...for variety.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Japan.....I'd go to Japan.
niseko-powder-phenomenon-08.jpg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd probably put a lot of it toward paying off the house too... *sigh*. Or possibly other savings/investments.

But let's assume there was a rule that it had to be used for skiing... I think I'd have a few options I'd love to do:
  1. Splurge on a big house or several condos someplace and invite a few friends and family for a big all-expenses-paid trip.... Maybe Aspen, or Vail, or Steamboat, or Copper, or someplace I haven't thought of yet...
  2. Draft a list of places around the world to visit and take some extra trips for a few winters.... I'm thinking I could do 10 pretty fancy/expensive trips. 3 to Europe, 2 to Japan, 2 to South America, and 3 to North American places I haven't gotten to go yet.
  3. Something in between... several nice trips with just a few friends
I'd probably squeeze a cat skiing trip in there too, to experience it - but it would have to be a "beginner cat skiing" kind of thing, or would probably be wasted on me or over my capability.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I figure we could stretch that $100K for about 5 seasons of lodging in NA.

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I figure we could stretch that $100K for about 5 seasons of lodging in NA.
Yes, but never skied Europe and that kind of seems like a must do.
If you are only going to do something once, should do it right.
If reality doesn't live up to the dream there is another airplane headed to the States or Canada. Somehow just don't anticipate that being too big of a problem.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, but never skied Europe and that kind of seems like a must do.
If you are only going to do something once, should do it right.
If reality doesn't live up to the dream there is another airplane headed to the States or Canada. Somehow just don't anticipate that being too big of a problem.

Europe is great. Completely different experience than skiing in NA. Definitely should be on everyone's bucket list. You are guaranteed a good time.
We were talking about going back to Europe for a season couple years back. Was supposed to be the 21/22 season. Now it looks like probably either 22/23 or 23/24 season. When the world settles down a bit.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Umm, if you "won" $100k, you'd be starting at $76k after fed taxes, assuming you make no other income. If your earned income is what I suspect most people on this site make, more than likely you'd be starting at $65k. Then, if you live in NY, CA or some other high tax state, you're starting at just north of $50k after taxes. Not gonna go very far.
Might even be less if you're Canadian.
#debbiedownermeetsspoilsport

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
How much is a week of heli skiing and can I get a deal if I book the entire season?

Anywhere from $10K to $15K, depending on location, exchange rate, etc.

Just booked two weeks in Iceland. Will probably book another two in Alaska.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I think I’d buy a Revel. You said that I had to spend it, but there’s no rule about adding more money to the pot. Would be a brand new one at less than 50% MSRP with that deal. And that spells build your own adventure for the rest of my (driving) life.

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My past trips to North America and Japan, normally 2 1/2 weeks- 3weeks, from New Zealand have typically cost me approx US$8000 so I could get 12 more trips to places I've yet to ski. I would then do double the length trips using the money that I would normally be spending anyway. I'd certainly be getting in a helicopter or two Then I'll be 73 years old with a massive grin on my face

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'd hit the 4 5 (see below) continents missing from my skiing experience. Probably the other 3 again since I'd be flying by. ;) I'm imagining a year long trip with lots of stops.
  • Africa - The Atlas range in Morocco
  • Asia - I don't know a particular place on the main continent, but certainly Japan would be on the list
  • Australia - I'd get advice from my friend on SkiTalk.com.
  • Antarctica - just because. I don't think I'd need to reach the south pole. I'm more interested in vertical terrain than trans-continental
  • New Zealand - Since I'd be in the vicinity. We learned that technically there are 7 continents, but a quick Wikipedia search shows:
    New Zealand is not part of the continent of Australia, but of the separate, submerged continent of Zealandia.[28] New Zealand and Australia are both part of the Oceanian sub-region known as Australasia, with New Guinea being in Melanesia.
Revisited continents would be, of course:
  • North America - lots of places I've never been
  • South America - Patagonia comes to mind. I've been to Portillo and Cerro Catedral
  • Europe - Skiing in Scotland would be exciting. I'm part Scot. They also have some fine backcountry.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Asia - I don't know a particular place on the main continent
Gulmarg!