• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

$100K TV or a ski trip?

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ski in every country in the world that has skiing. Would 100K be enough?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Take some friends to Europe and see what happens after that.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You should start a thread... i.e. "If you won $100K that could only be used for ski trips, where would you go?"

Alright fine.

Here is mine.
Get a plane ticket to Europe for October with return flight booked for June.
Taking a backpack, ski boots. passport, phone, and toothbrush. Follow my nose with 1 pair of skis.
See ya.
Let's see, 8 months, maybe 5k a month plus 1000 flight. That's living comfortably

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
A 1 week booking for a full ship at the Tsaina lodge is conveniently exactly $100K…

In truth I think that’s too high variance an option if you have “only” $100K to spend on skiing but it would still be fun.

Probably a “better” usage of the money is a trip to Japan for 1 week in January, then a trip to one of the CMH properties in February, a cheaper Alaska trip in March and finish up at Deplar farms in April.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wow... that's for 3 guests with 2 guides. I would have guessed at least a couple more guests than that.

As far as I can tell that’s more or less what a private heli week costs. You can upgrade to 6 guests/4 guides for $12k more so I think the issue is more that you’re booking the heli time than anything else (so they can’t subdivide it up and sell 8 seats per day for 1,500 a pop).

I don’t recall the Valdez refund policy for the private package, at quite a few you just eat the loss if your week has bad weather which is the real reason it’s a sport for billionaires not millionaires.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Rent the entire Comfort Inn of Avon, CO for one week in March and invite all SkiTalkers with over 250 posts to come stay for free.
Not sure if $100k would cover that, but when the money's gone we could break out the sleeping bags for the motel room floor :P Sleeping bags and Beaver Creek - nice mix.

helmut's trail.jpg

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Copters are great and the skiing can be off the charts on a good day. But that was then and this is now. You see "old and slow" by my avatar for a reason; because I am.
Having been a guide in a past life wouldn't want to inflict my pace on a group of chargers who paid all the money for a ride on the bird. If you can copter or cat ski, do it (for a run, a day, a week) it offers a perspective to our sport that can not be found inside the ropes.
Prefer to just putter along at my own casual pace somewhere at the edge of a run and let the kids fly.
Now Europe on the other hand with all the unskied regions and an endless supply of untried beers ............ HMMMM!
Joy has many variants.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Famous last words.

Yup, we got time. Until we don't. Not going to change things much.
I believe 5 years is a good short term time frame for us to plan and execute our life at this point. We are pretty happy with what we are doing currently. Really do not see any requirement for change at the current moment. We'll keep revaluating as we go along though and project further into the future.

If the end of time for me do come. No worries, mate. Cuz I won't be here to see it. :ogbiggrin:

You see "old and slow" by my avatar for a reason; because I am.

Now Europe on the other hand with all the unskied regions and an endless supply of untried beers ............ HMMMM!

You "old and slow" too? So am I. We must be twins separated at birth. :ogbiggrin:

Food is pretty good over there too. No Epic burger though. :ogcool:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I'd hit the 4 5 (see below) continents missing from my skiing experience. Probably the other 3 again since I'd be flying by. ;) I'm imagining a year long trip with lots of stops.
  • Africa - The Atlas range in Morocco
  • Asia - I don't know a particular place on the main continent, but certainly Japan would be on the list
  • Australia - I'd get advice from my friend on SkiTalk.com.
  • Antarctica - just because. I don't think I'd need to reach the south pole. I'm more interested in vertical terrain than trans-continental
  • New Zealand - Since I'd be in the vicinity. We learned that technically there are 7 continents, but a quick Wikipedia search shows:
Revisited continents would be, of course:
  • North America - lots of places I've never been
  • South America - Patagonia comes to mind. I've been to Portillo and Cerro Catedral
  • Europe - Skiing in Scotland would be exciting. I'm part Scot. They also have some fine backcountry.

I think that if I did a multi-continent year, the dollar amount would have to be more like $100M. I'd want a private jet. Even flying international first or business doesn't compare. Years of international business travel really scarred me from getting on planes. Just so over it.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Europe for a couple months for skiing. Though skiing that long would be a hard sell for my SO. It would probably really only be $30K for skiing and remainder on some other trip in the area.

To be honest, if someone gave me $100K to use for travel, but it was only to be used for 'one trip' I would probably not use it for skiing (blasphemy!) since my family doesn't like to ski. I'd do a week-ish long trip with them. African safari (photo) would be good.

Sponsor

Staff online