• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

10yo-Racing or Development Team?

hw98

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
We are considering enrolling our child in either a ski development or racing progam. Could anybody please describe the differences between the two and what expectiations we shoulld have with each?
Our child has skiied about a total of 2 weeks: comfortable doing blacks in Pennsylvania, blues at Keystone and Killington. Technique is good according to our friend who a ski instructor in the Canadian Rockies. We are looking at programs NH, VT or ME. Thanks in advance!

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We are considering enrolling our child in either a ski development or racing progam. Could anybody please describe the differences between the two and what expectiations we shoulld have with each?
Our child has skiied about a total of 2 weeks: comfortable doing blacks in Pennsylvania, blues at Keystone and Killington. Technique is good according to our friend who a ski instructor in the Canadian Rockies. We are looking at programs NH, VT or ME. Thanks in advance!
At snowbasin everyone starts with development and they will let you know if your kid is ready to race. Then you can decide if you want to commit to travel and stuff for that.

ETA: There is also a significant gear commitment for competition.

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
He's skied 2 weeks? Development team. My kid had close to 200 days by that age. And I'm sure that's going to be even truer for the kids in New England who are in race programs. We were mid-Atlantic with a far shorter season. Many of those kids will have been training for years. There is no way he's comparable technique-wise after 2 weeks.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
He's skied 2 weeks? Development team. My kid had close to 200 days by that age. And I'm sure that's going to be even truer for the kids in New England who are in race programs. We were mid-Atlantic with a far shorter season. Many of those kids will have been training for years. There is no way he's comparable technique-wise after 2 weeks.

I totally agree. My kid was training about 60 days per season by 10 (His 5th year racing).
Also, your child’s willingness to ski blue or black runs (whatever that means at your resort) has very little to do with their technique or ability. But, it does imply that they are “game” which is nice for an aspiring racer.

Don’t worry too much about being behind, I’ve seen lots of kids who put in the effort catch up. Just keep expectations reasonable.

It’s a fun journey, enjoy!

Last edited:

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
Definitely focus on development now. Gain the skills and confidence before jumping into the competitive side of the sport. Don't be discouraged if the first few weeks are very basic and he/she is skiing with younger kids. The other kids will likely have a lot more time on snow, but it is possible to make up ground very quickly. My son has a friend on his race team that didn't start skiing until he was 11 and he is out there ripping around with kids who started nearly 10 years earlier. He will likely never beat them in a race, but he is making great strides and having a ton of fun.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Will you get a seasonal rental and drive from PA?

This would be a good time to start calling ski schools for specific answers. I see some kids plodding around the gates. The thing about club sports is there is a program and price for everyone, just find the one that fits.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Difficult question because there are differences between race programs and race programs, and not sure what a development program is (ski lessons?). Anyways... 10 y/o means 1st year U12 in racing language. In most places––a big step up from U10. You ski two distinctly different diciplines: SL and GS. At the same time, any good program will have lots of directed free skiing and tech development training, drills... Not only "racing". It will be a "crash course" in skiing and your kid will most probably feel that he/she is light years behind others at first. With that said, some kids don't bother and just work and kids tend to learn incredibly fast. So for rapid development, nothing beats a race program inme. But it will be a steep learning curve and quite a challenge for your child. But I have seen kids entering racing at U12 level, with only free skiing experience, and kind of catch up in a couple of seasons. But tbh, it's fairly uncommon. For the right kid, doable but difficult.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid