• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sponsored 11 Most Influential Skis of All Time

https://www.skiessentials.com/
TS
SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
Really" You wouldn't consider the first major marketed TWIN TIP freestyle ski "influential"??

Oh, it most certainly was. Heck, there's a pair of Olin Extreme Comps sitting next to my desk and a Mark IV just around the corner. The Mark IV, however, didn't kick-start mass-produced twin tip skis like the 1080 did. There were some borderline angry employees over not including Olin! :beercheer:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Oh, it most certainly was. Heck, there's a pair of Olin Extreme Comps sitting next to my desk and a Mark IV just around the corner. The Mark IV, however, didn't kick-start mass-produced twin tip skis like the 1080 did. There were some borderline angry employees over not including Olin! :beercheer:
I have to go with @SkiEssentials with the Salomon 1080 being the first "influential" twin. While the Mark/Comp IV and the Kastle Freestyle Pro had turned up tails, they did not have skiing switch in mind when they designed them.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Might have switched the Seth Pistol out for the Armada JJ. I'd lobby for inclusion of the Atomic double deck design, but not sure if that's turned into an evolutionary dead end.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I have to go with @SkiEssentials with the Salomon 1080 being the first "influential" twin. While the Mark/Comp IV and the Kastle Freestyle Pro had turned up tails, they did not have skiing switch in mind when they designed them.
Are you sure?? How about the Ballet?? It's not like Salomon just came up with the concept on their own. The argument for the Mark IV setting the stage for the 1080 is the same as the argument for the ROC or ST or others setting the stage for the SK and more modern race skis.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Are you sure?? How about the Ballet?? It's not like Salomon just came up with the concept on their own. The argument for the Mark IV setting the stage for the 1080 is the same as the argument for the ROC or ST or others setting the stage for the SK and more modern race skis.
The Ballet? Maybe a dozen people bought ballet's as regular skis. Twin tios changed the skiing landscape along the lines of the way SUV's changed the automotive market. The Mark IV was important but not significantly more than a Yahoo 2 or Rossignol Freestyle or Dynastar Pulsar, it was just Olin's offering in that segment. It didn't change everything.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The Ballet? Maybe a dozen people bought ballet's as regular skis. Twin tios changed the skiing landscape along the lines of the way SUV's changed the automotive market. The Mark IV was important but not significantly more than a Yahoo 2 or Rossignol Freestyle or Dynastar Pulsar, it was just Olin's offering in that segment. It didn't change everything.

There were a plethora of other twins available same era as 1080 as well. It was Salomon's offering. In fact, wasn't the Scream also a turned up tail before the 1080? I own all three of the skis in this conversation.. I'd say they are chicken and egg going back to the Mark IV being the first mainstream twin. Just because it wasn't a shaped twin means nothing.. especially since there were other shaped twins before the 1080. Kastle, Blizzard, Rossi, and others seemed to come out after the Olin early twins, RIGHT after but tons of other twins, shaped and not prior to the 1080.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There were a plethora of other twins available same era as 1080 as well. It was Salomon's offering. In fact, wasn't the Scream also a turned up tail before the 1080? I own all three of the skis in this conversation.. I'd say they are chicken and egg going back to the Mark IV being the first mainstream twin. Just because it wasn't a shaped twin means nothing.. especially since there were other shaped twins before the 1080. Kastle, Blizzard, Rossi, and others seemed to come out after the Olin early twins, RIGHT after but tons of other twins, shaped and not prior to the 1080.
The XScream was not the first in the in the segment either, example, the PowerKarve beat it but it is a situation where the early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese. Salomon has has a history of being a very successful second mouse...along with being very innovative. Hard work creates a lot of luck.

TS
SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials

SkiTalk Sponsor
The XScream was not the first in the in the segment either, example, the PowerKarve beat it but it is a situation where the early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese. Salomon has has a history of being a very successful second mouse...along with being very innovative. Hard work creates a lot of luck.

Agreed, although I don't think the 1080 falls into the "second mouse" category. They were much more innovative than any other twin tip at the time and the influence they had on the sport (partly because they were on the feet of the New Canadian Air Force guys) was huge.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Agreed, although I don't think the 1080 falls into the "second mouse" category. They were much more innovative than any other twin tip at the time and the influence they had on the sport (partly because they were on the feet of the New Canadian Air Force guys) was huge.
Agree there... and probably close to half of the USSA and FIS Freestyle competitors were on Olins from 78-82. It was the 4SK of freestyle.

I know I'm nit picking but again, it's really not complete to only have 2-3 pre Y2K skis in your top 11 all time influences when so much more skiing and innovation was happening all through the ages starting with metal edges, better laminates, twin tips, wider powder skis (Chubbs cough cough cough). etc.

I'd agree your list is spot on for post Y2K advancements but misses the mark almost entirely for the first 50 years of skiing..

snofun3

Putting on skis
Skier
No skis make the list between 1950 and 1989 - really? REALLY?

OK, the ST650 was already mentioned then there was of course the (pre 102) Strato, the VR17 and the others of that day. Then they take the K2 4 of that era? Hey, maybe you missed the one in the 70's well before the blinking light that was THE go-to ski then. No mention of any of the Hexcel line?

There were skis between 1950 and 89 (even Head had the 360) that everyone wanted.

Granted it is tough to come up with a 10 best ever list, but this one sure isn't it.

TS
SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials

SkiTalk Sponsor
I'd agree your list is spot on for post Y2K advancements but misses the mark almost entirely for the first 50 years of skiing..

Granted it is tough to come up with a 10 best ever list, but this one sure isn't it.

We knew there would be lots of different opinions as there were lots of different opinions among our own staff. We certainly aren't pretending to be a skiing encyclopedia, just a fun topic to discuss among our staff and share with our customers through this article. The points you both bring up are points that were brought up in our office by various staff members. Let's just say there have been multiple versions of this list over the past few weeks. :roflmao:

To quote the article:

"Take a gander, get those feathers ruffled, and when you’re ready, tell us how you really feel in the comment section below!"

We're psyched people are taking that sentence seriously ;)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
To quote the article:

"Take a gander, get those feathers ruffled, and when you’re ready, tell us how you really feel in the comment section below!"

We're psyched people are taking that sentence seriously ;)

AND GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

pause

Putting on skis
Skier
Nice piece and a lot of fun to read. Strong case for all of these skis. I'll argue for the Volkl Explosiv instead of the Mantra. Maybe the first fat ski to gain a loyal following of hardcore rippers because it was built like a race ski but with the girth to float. Intro'd in '95, a decade in production with pretty much cosmetic changes only, then it gave us the Mantra as its offspring. Pretty solid 22 year legacy.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
And wasn't the Explosive a tweaked Snow Ranger?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree there... and probably close to half of the USSA and FIS Freestyle competitors were on Olins from 78-82. It was the 4SK of freestyle.

I know I'm nit picking but again, it's really not complete to only have 2-3 pre Y2K skis in your top 11 all time influences when so much more skiing and innovation was happening all through the ages starting with metal edges, better laminates, twin tips, wider powder skis (Chubbs cough cough cough). etc.

And there you have it... to be influential it has to be in common usage outside the USA as well. In Europe Olins were pretty much a small player...

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
And there you have it... to be influential it has to be in common usage outside the USA as well. In Europe Olins were pretty much a small player...
That is because in Europe they are VERY supportive of their local industry unlike us Americans.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nice list! Was also thinking "Snow Ranger" is absent, but very nice memories! Now the latest list would include......drum roll........yo momma says you only get one guess, the "Black Pearls" ................. and you thought I was going to say "The Bones" psyche!!!!!!:beercheer: Ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister