• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

16 y.o. runs down bicyclists in TX

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thankfully no one was killed, though two had to be airlifted to the hospital.
Story is here.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sh*t!!! I've dealt with these a$$holes before. "Rolling coal" is the term.
Immature guys working immature "pranks" that can turn serious.

I hope they throw him in the clink for awhile where he can learn about taking things seriously.

Last edited:

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You know, when I was 16 I did "dumb" things. But I didn't mow down six bikers and send four of them to the hospital.
There's a difference between dumb and criminal.

PS: I got hit by a pickup truck last November. Three days in the hospital and about three months recovering from internal injuries and bruising and broken ribs. I was LUCKY.
The guy who hit me? SIx "accidents" in ten years, with numerous violations on his record. Legal resolution? Loss of license for 60 days and $150 fine.
Think I'm a bit sensitive about this topic? Yeah.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I hope his parents are rich... because I smell a lawsuit...

not to mention insurance premiums are going up on the parent's policy, since the kid is likely under the parent's policy instead of their own

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
If a judge can't throw his butt in jail for a fair period of time at the very least confiscate his vehicle and allow him the pleasure of getting around on a bicycle for an extended period of time.
This guy is a dangerous fool.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I like the bike idea. But mommy & daddy will just chauffeur his lame ass around.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm just going to get on the advocacy high horse here:

It's always a driver - a person - who crashes into a person on a bicycle. Unless the car/truck/van is an autonomous object with no human inside, it's always a person striking another person.

And it's always a crash, not an accident. An accident suggests that the interaction was unavoidable. In this case it certainly was avoidable.

OK, dismounting the horse again...

. . .

First off: driving is not a right, but a privilege. So the best thing is to revoke this kid's license to drive until he's 18. In my ideal world he'd have it revoked in perpetuity, but wishes and dreams and all that...

And the bike idea is fantastic. Add to that a transit pass and it would be ideal. A creative judge would issue such a sentence. And sure, his parents or siblings would cart him around but there are ways of enforcing use of the transit pass, at the very least (its use can often be traced if the pass uses RFID technology).

"Smoke rolling" or "coal rolling" is actually an enforceable offense in many states, including Virginia and Maryland.

My guess is that this teenager inherited this reckless behavior from a parent. It's not uncommon for young drivers to model their biases after those of their parents.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Unless that truck was modified it probably wouldn't "roll coal" in the first place, at least not much. I have a 2018 Ram diesel. No visible exhaust even starting from a stop pulling a 5th wheel. The coal is an over-fueling issue that is mitigated by proper injection timing run by the computer. Tampering with that by changing the programming or adding larger injectors, at least in a lot of places, is illegal and subject to a hefty fine; I believe it's an EPA thing. I'd be interested in seeing if the authorities take a peek under the hood.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Back when Diesel engines were mechanical, increasing the rail (fuel) pressure/oversized fuel pump button, oversized injectors, bigger turbo,ect. Big power~high dollar, Chicken hauler.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm jaded. I'm pretty sure the "he's a good kid" defense will get him off in court.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
There are two separate issues here. One is is it appropriate for a person that age to be driving a big truck.

The other is the general "I own the road. I want to threaten and harm (rolling coal) cyclists or other less powerful road users." The second is social/political issue that too many Americans tolerate or even applaud. There's a love of violence in that that must be called out. He may not have want to hit the cyclists, but he sure wanted to scare them. There are 16 year olds who are bad drivers because they don't care about being reckless (and if they hit or kill someone, that's terrible). But this was worse in terms of intent.

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The article isn't clear on how he ended up running over cyclists.
It appears, as near as I can tell, that he got ahead of a (the second one of three) group of cyclists and floored it to be a jerk and cover them with diesel exhaust smoke, but was so intent on watching them in his mirrors he didn't notice the group in front of him until it was too late for him and ran into them. He stayed at the scene after the accident. Is that correct?

If so, I commend the cyclists restraint.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Well-put, @jt10000 - and needs to be part of the discussion. This issue of imagining oneself as having this power, and reinforcing the power by wielding it over others, just to exercise that power (and be an a**hole). I think the comment about this being Texas springs from this frame of reference.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It appears, as near as I can tell, that he got ahead of a (the second one of three) group of cyclists and floored it to be a jerk and cover them with diesel exhaust smoke, but was so intent on watching them in his mirrors he didn't notice the group in front of him until it was too late for him and ran into them. He stayed at the scene after the accident. Is that correct?

That's the way I read it, but it was a bit confusing without enough description.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier

Not exactly correct. The bicyclist, Chase Ferrell, said:

After the truck blew exhaust on cyclists in Ferrell's lane, the driver attempted to do the same maneuver on cyclists riding ahead of Ferrell, the cyclist said, culminating in the collision.

"The reason he couldn't stop is because he was accelerating to blow more diesel fuel on these cyclists," Ferrell said. "He ended up hitting three people before his brakes even started."

He was in the act of blowing smoke all over the group ahead of Ferrell when he started running over them, and was accelerating (to blow this exhaust) so it took some time to brake. At least that's how I read it.

Sponsor

Staff online