• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

16 y.o. runs down bicyclists in TX

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
A quote from the Chief’s statement:
none of the deficiencies that have been identified were due to poor policy or procedure within the department, nor were they influenced by who was involved in the crash or any other personal associations. To put it quite simply, they were due to a lack of knowledge on our part”
Seems rather contradictory. Isn’t a lack of knowledge a direct result from some poor policy or procedure?
Yeah, we investigated and didn't find nuthin... At the end, perhaps they'll find the spoon...

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
A quote from the Chief’s statement:
none of the deficiencies that have been identified were due to poor policy or procedure within the department, nor were they influenced by who was involved in the crash or any other personal associations. To put it quite simply, they were due to a lack of knowledge on our part”
Seems rather contradictory. Isn’t a lack of knowledge a direct result from some poor policy or procedure?
He at least seems more straightforward that some police in this country. The department where I live almost never admits mistakes unless forced to by a lawsuit. They are worse than incompetent in dealing with drivers who hurt/kill cyclists and demonstrate their contempt to cyclists quite openly. Standard practice when a cyclist is killed by a driver is to set up stings to ticket cyclists at the same location for several days. I kid you not.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
He at least seems more straightforward that some police in this country. The department where I live almost never admits mistakes unless forced to by a lawsuit. They are worse than incompetent in dealing with drivers who hurt/kill cyclists and demonstrate their contempt to cyclists quite openly. Standard practice when a cyclist is killed by a driver is to set up stings to ticket cyclists at the same location for several days. I kid you not.
I find the statement to be complete BS. Here is how I read it: "In our manual, it says to do your job regardless of your personal feelings or the people involved" so I did nothing wrong. And: "The officer was wrong, but he has been informed and promises to do better next time."

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"Because officers use a sense of humor as a protective measure and because they have to prioritize their mission over sentiment, they are often accused of being insensitive."

True dat, it's human nature to deal with constant stress by laughing at the macabere. But bad cops are a good cop's worst enemy.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Some quotes from that article:

The driver who caused this harm is under the age of majority per Texas’ penal code. Juveniles are excluded from many elements of accountability that are available within Texas’ criminal justice system for adults.

In Texas, criminally charging someone under the age of 17 as an adult requires a process culminating in certification by a County Court at Law judge, not simply the willingness of a prosecutor to file such charges at their sole discretion.

The Waller County D.A. and Special Prosecutor are neither a judge nor a jury. However, they did take their criminal investigation to an empaneled Grand Jury last week....

....a Grand Jury who would then decide whether or not to indict the Arnolds’ son for the destruction he caused while behind the wheel of their diesel truck that day.

Evidently the Grand Jury decided in favor of the indictment.
And there's this question that the lawyers for the 6 injured bicyclists will be pursuing:

Who physically modified the engine of the Arnolds’ diesel truck which they permitted their son to operate to assault cyclists and crash into our clients? (We understand that in order to “roll coal,” engine modifications must first occur in one of two ways: 1) Increase the fuel flow of the mechanical diesel pump. This way, when the operator presses the gas pedal, the smoke billows from the exhaust pipes, usually for a limited amount of time, or 2) By restricting the airflow to the engine’s intake. The toxic, blinding, smoke is the result of incomplete combustion, therefore removing oxygen will cause the desired effect.)

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Some quotes from that article:

The driver who caused this harm is under the age of majority per Texas’ penal code. Juveniles are excluded from many elements of accountability that are available within Texas’ criminal justice system for adults.

In Texas, criminally charging someone under the age of 17 as an adult requires a process culminating in certification by a County Court at Law judge, not simply the willingness of a prosecutor to file such charges at their sole discretion.

The Waller County D.A. and Special Prosecutor are neither a judge nor a jury. However, they did take their criminal investigation to an empaneled Grand Jury last week....

....a Grand Jury who would then decide whether or not to indict the Arnolds’ son for the destruction he caused while behind the wheel of their diesel truck that day.

Evidently the Grand Jury decided in favor of the indictment.
And there's this question that the lawyers for the 6 injured bicyclists will be pursuing:

Who physically modified the engine of the Arnolds’ diesel truck which they permitted their son to operate to assault cyclists and crash into our clients? (We understand that in order to “roll coal,” engine modifications must first occur in one of two ways: 1) Increase the fuel flow of the mechanical diesel pump. This way, when the operator presses the gas pedal, the smoke billows from the exhaust pipes, usually for a limited amount of time, or 2) By restricting the airflow to the engine’s intake. The toxic, blinding, smoke is the result of incomplete combustion, therefore removing oxygen will cause the desired effect.)

Revolting.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Do we wait until a vehicle is involved in a manslaughter or homicide before impounding them.. Or, do we crack down on ALL illegal mods that increase performance beyond what's needed or optimal for legal driving and fuel economy? The number of vehicles I've owned and driven that weren't 100% street legal far exceeds the number that were/are. I'm good with getting the street racers and coal rollers off the streets, don't get me wrong. However, I'm owning up to the fact that up until age 40 I was all in on having a few little (or major) mods that made my ride faster, handle better, suck more fuel, etc than what was ideal to drive within the letter of the law everywhere..

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like our new signs in Colorado:

2f8c2e28-5bb9-44bd-8722-60258619f8f3.png

Much stronger message than the old signs:

Share-the-Road.jpg

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
. . . therefore you are supposed to slow down and wait for an opening before passing the cyclist.
I know that but...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It's almost like Nevada wants it both ways - the passing vehicle is required to change lanes in 2 lane situations where 3 foot clearance isn't available, but is allowed to go into the opposing travel lane in a no-pass zone? Weird.

I'm pretty sure I like Virginia's better. No-pass zones remain the same; required to change lanes iff 3 feet is not available in the travel lanes.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
It's almost like Nevada wants it both ways - the passing vehicle is required to change lanes in 2 lane situations where 3 foot clearance isn't available, but is allowed to go into the opposing travel lane in a no-pass zone? Weird.

I'm pretty sure I like Virginia's better. No-pass zones remain the same; required to change lanes iff 3 feet is not available in the travel lanes.

I like Nevada's better. And I do it all the time. Frankly I give MORE than 3' every single time unless it is literally impossible. No passing zones are for passing vehicles. You have to go all the way into the other lane and out accelerate a high powered vehicle. With a bike, you only need to go slightly into the other lane, or even right on theh line. And even if it is primetime lance on that bike, out accelerating him is a piece of cake.

One thing I have observed is that if I have to pass a cyclist w/ a line of traffic behind me and I make an exaggerated move, the next 3 cars will do the same. Each one to a slightly lesser degree. The 4 car, nothing. If I have to slow down and wait for traffic in the other lane, all the better. I do it intentionally now. Maybe some kind of collective muscle memory will evolved if we all do it. A lot of people just need to see that example to realize what is reasonable. I have my wife doing it now. :).

Me, modeling good behavior. A lot of old dead teachers are rolling over in their graves . . .

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think having police officers ride bicycles on roads with traffic as part of their training might be what’s needed to change their mindset a little bit.

Throw a coal roller into the mix while they’re at it.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think having police officers ride bicycles on roads with traffic as part of their training might be what’s needed to change their mindset a little bit.

Throw a coal roller into the mix while they’re at it.
This has a very cynical view... but one possible (likely?l outcome of that is police officers who are further convinced that cyclists just shouldn't be allowed on the road at all.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink