• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is an interesting article that should interest
17 Ski Resorts Where You Can Sleep in the Parking Lot
While I'm not likely to camp in a ski resort parking lot, there are many who do and make this a way to get a lot of amazing ski travel.
I'm going to give @DanoT a shout out on this one.
Screen Shot 2015-11-14 at 4.50.10 AM.png

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Schweitzer Mountain always has a pretty good group of campers in the mid-lot right below the lodge and next the the beginner hill. They have quite a party/gathering at times - lots of fun.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I was aware of the link to the 17 RV friendly ski resort list thru a TGR thread that I subscribe to and I have added some western Canada RV friendly resorts in the comments section, so I won't repeat them here. I bookmarked the page for future reference.

Most Walmart stores in or near ski country don't allow overnight parking but the one in Sandy Utah does. An even better spot when skiing BCC or LCC is to stay at the Park and Ride parking lot across from the Alta Canyon Recreation Center on South Highland Drive for access to pool, fitness rooms, sauna, hot tub, showers.

As mentioned in the article, Castle Mountain in southern Alberta did have overnight plug-ins but no longer offer it and now they want $15CDN/night to park with no services except access to showers/washrooms. However about 10 kms before arriving at Castle you drive by a sometimes plowed parking lot staging area for snowmobiles in winter and quads in summer. I plan to stay there this winter while visiting Castle, probably in early March.

SKIBUM 6

Putting on skis
Skier
Steamboat has a very nice campground within 15 minutes of the mountain.
You are speaking of the KOA. Stayed there 8 nights last year. $60 per night. Does anyone know of a place in Steam boat that I can park/camp overnight. The transit station no longer alows overnight stays.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^ yeah, this would be an interesting thread to update, since things have changed a lot in the past 6 years. I did stay at the Targhee lot last season, I think it was $15 a night? But a lot of crackdown due to the increased popularity of #vanlife among other things.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
^^ yeah, this would be an interesting thread to update, since things have changed a lot in the past 6 years. I did stay at the Targhee lot last season, I think it was $15 a night? But a lot of crackdown due to the increased popularity of #vanlife among other things.
Crazy how things have changed in 6 years.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We stayed at Bachelor last season. Deets are on their website.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wolf Creek allows overnight parking.

They also offer an indoor facility and welcome guests to bring picnic lunches (they sell beverages and snacks). I find this a remarkable contrast to the Vail-type business model.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've stayed at a snowmobile staging area on Hwy 191 a couple miles south of the Hwy 64 turn off to Big Sky. Also a pull out on Hwy 64 just before the turn to the Big Sky Village and lifts.
Whitefish Resort overnight parking is $17. Also the campground in town is open year round.
My info is 3-4 years old: Whitewater is $25CAD or $40 for a 15amp plug in (bring your own long extension cord).
Red and Silver Star are free.
Sun Peaks is $25.
Lake Louise Government campground (short walk to the village) is $35+ includes plug-in, washrooms, showers, 4 season water fill up.
Revelstoke RV lot is free but limit to one night. I think the KOA or other campground near town is open in winter.
My driveway, 18 kms from Sun Peaks is free with a limited power plug in...bring groceries and a 4x4/awd RV :ogbiggrin:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We stayed at Bachelor last season. Deets are on their website.
I didn't know this was a thing until we went to Bachelor last year. Walking from the lot I was surprised to see the RVs were plugged in, not just parked there. Maybe sometime we'll drag our 5th wheel up there.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
49 Degrees North, WA. No hook ups but a lot of spaces. They do run the bus for you though. Bring your groceries next store 10 miles down the hill.
Pro tip: 49 is closed Wed and Thur. Get there for thur night and catch 1st tracks for Powder Friday.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Whitefish Resort overnight parking is $17.
RV Parking & Overnight Hard-sided Camping
Camping trailers and RVs are allowed in the Aspen Lot for a maximum stay of 3 days. There are limited camping spots and availability is first-come, first-served. There is a fee of $15 (plus tax) per day and registration must be completed at Lodging Check-In in the Upper Village. No lodging discounts or promotions are available for RV/Trailer parking.

Camping & RV Parking Rules
No hookups or dump station available.
All overnight vehicles must be self-contained.
Follow any fire restrictions that may be in place.
Quiet hours are from 10pm–7am.
Pets must be leashed.
All children must be accompanied by an adult.
No littering, glass containers, fireworks or fires.
RV and hard-sided vehicles only, no tents please.
Please by respectful of your fellow campers.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Never saw a house door on a vehicle. Anyway, cant hold a candle to the inhabitants of this camper. They are real skiers for sure to spend the night in the parking lot.

Reactions: Tex

SKIBUM 6

Putting on skis
Skier
I've stayed at a snowmobile staging area on Hwy 191 a couple miles south of the Hwy 64 turn off to Big Sky. Also a pull out on Hwy 64 just before the turn to the Big Sky Village and lifts.
Whitefish Resort overnight parking is $17. Also the campground in town is open year round.
My info is 3-4 years old: Whitewater is $25CAD or $40 for a 15amp plug in (bring your own long extension cord).
Red and Silver Star are free.
Sun Peaks is $25.
Lake Louise Government campground (short walk to the village) is $35+ includes plug-in, washrooms, showers, 4 season water fill up.
Revelstoke RV lot is free but limit to one night. I think the KOA or other campground near town is open in winter.
My driveway, 18 kms from Sun Peaks is free with a limited power plug in...bring groceries and a 4x4/awd RV :ogbiggrin:
DanO, thanks for offering your driveway. What brand of beer do you like?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
DanO, thanks for offering your driveway. What brand of beer do you like?
I'm a non drinker, but like I said in my earlier post: You bring the grub. ogsmile

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
Wolf Creek allows overnight parking.

They also offer an indoor facility and welcome guests to bring picnic lunches (they sell beverages and snacks). I find this a remarkable contrast to the Vail-type business model.
Pagosa Springs is a bit of an old time Colorado holdout, but they are losing ground daily.