• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

1954 NewYorker article about Tenzing Norkay

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just thought that it was interesting, and then realized this article was originally from 1954.
Kinda cool.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
I always thought it was Norquay but I'm biased and probably dislectic.

James

Out There
Instructor
Himalayas? Or Himalaya?
Apparently it’s the Himalaya or Himalayan.
Himalaya is singular and plural.
—————————-
Applying the word "Himalayas" to the Himalayan mountains is a piece of linguistic butchery that became popular in the last century and now seems to be in decline. Its origin appears to lie in the European fondness for pluralising mountains - the Alps, the Andes, the Apennines etc - coupled with a failure to appreciate that the correct plural of "Himalaya" is "Himalaya," just as the correct plural for the English word "sheep" happens to be "sheep."
———————-

“Norgay” seems the most common usage.

1986, New York Times:

TENZING NORKAY, 72, IS DEAD: CLIMBED EVEREST WITH HILLARY​

LA Times:

Everest Conqueror Tenzing Norgay Dies​

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And since his name is in Sherpa, a Tibetic language, does it really matter how it’s spelled in English?

My birth name can be spelled two different ways in English, Pinyi or Wade-Giles system. But neither come even close to what it actually sounds like. So I could care less about how it’s spelled!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That's a long article. I'll have to take the time to read it later.
From the various stories and filmed accounts I'm familiar with of the 1953 summiting of Everest - the world got lucky that two thoughtful and heroic guys like Norgay and Hillary were the ones that did it. It's not a given that greatness and goodness go together.

James

Out There
Instructor
And since his name is in Sherpa, a Tibetic language, does it really matter how it’s spelled in English?

My birth name can be spelled two different ways in English, Pinyi or Wade-Giles system. But neither come even close to what it actually sounds like. So I could care less about how it’s spelled!
Well, no, but every language has to settle on something otherwise we go round in circles. It can change over time.
We know you as Rainbow Jenny. ogsmile

Likely at some point before the written word, people argued about how ridiculous it was to try and make marks for spoken words.
The Navajo language wasn’t even formally written till the 1930’s.

Meanwhile, I guess ‘Norgay’ became the preferred form in English based on his memorial marker in Darjeeling.

37F957DB-C395-49A7-9C89-04DF4D32332E.jpeg

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, no, but every language has to settle on something otherwise we go round in circles. It can change over time.
We know you as Rainbow Jenny. ogsmile

Likely at some point before the written word, people argued about how ridiculous it was to try and make marks for spoken words.
The Navajo language wasn’t even formally written till the 1930’s.
Yes, it's fascinating how only half of the languages spoken today have written form, many will never have a written form. Who knows how many spoken languages have been lost already.

In Taiwan I've seen street signs for the same road spelled 3 different ways. Having spent time working for an UN organization, one also quickly gets use to multiple spellings for the same name.

But it's awfully simple and straightforward to know you just as James. ogsmile

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
In Taiwan I've seen street signs for the same road spelled 3 different ways. Having spent time working for an UN organization, one also quickly gets use to multiple spellings for the same name.

We don't even have to go to Taiwan to get multi-spelling roads - "Viers/Veirs Mill" and can you tell which end had more literate German immigrants?

The funny part is when people who have never heard the word source-pronounced insist on reading it in their own accent and vowelization - "because that's how it's spelled!"

Anglo orthography is effectively its own language - different from any variant of English it corresponds to - and everyone is working with a back-translation from the orthography.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I dunno. Rainbow Jenny seems pretty straight forward to me. :)