• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 20-21 Four Corners Weather, Conditions, Stoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you all going to make a (mini) gathering in Taos this January?

With the current outlook, I don't believe a January gathering would be a prudent decision.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
that sucks. People in Santa Fe seem to better in following the rules.
That’s what I heard about SSF too. Taos was good up until Christmas. A different crowd came and took over. I hope they will move out after the NY and hopefully won’t leave much negative impact in the community.

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
Does the staff enforce the rules? If not, please share your experience with Taos management or direct message their twitter or instagram. They would want to correct what they can before bad behavior will get them shut down.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
For masking up, staff are constantly reminding guests and not afraid to speak up so kudos to that. They have signs everywhere telling people to remain 6 ft apart and not to congregate indoors but yesterday, a bunch of people (at least 12-15) were camping out in the locker area, all maskless, to eat, rest, chat, etc. also quite a few congregating in the bathroom without masks too. I really don’t get how people just don’t get it or don’t care!
The lift line was good early in the morning but the latecomers with day tickets aren’t paying much attention in line.
I emailed TSV about it and I got a response from someone saying they will monitor better. Today, they put up partitions in the bathroom area to block off empty spaces so people cannot sit around, but by doing so, it forced people to walk by each other within inches and caused a bottleneck when busy. I emailed them about it but no response yet.
As for the line, people are still packing together. They have signs in line showing people where to stand to social distancing but people just didn’t pay attention. I honestly don’t know what or how they can make it better if so many people don’t listen or cooperate.
One improvement they made was to have someone direct traffic at the merge for loading so there is proper distancing. Previous days was free for all so people packed it in like sardines.

F9E6B785-2088-4BE8-9ECA-A831842D3CB6.jpeg 71879E56-BB6A-408B-AF7A-F8E270FF173E.jpeg

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
They roped off Al’s 1/3 way down and I have never seen so many people falling/sitting around on Al’s. Same for Inferno. It was not the snow because I found light fluffy powder and the bumps were soft and good sized.

Plenty of skiers/boarders laying around on all the groomed runs too. Pioneer (bunny slope) was quite empty but for some reason there were alot more beginners scattered on the rest of the mountain. Maybe that’s why it felt crowded?

The primary reason for the mass of beginners on the hill is due to the absence of group lessons. The beginners are lacking the initial guidance usually received during their lower level lessons.

Few years back, I was riding chair #1 in the afternoon with the then SSD. The hill was very empty. I turned around and noticed the Pioneer lift area was swarmed with skiers resembling an ant hill. Must be at least 30 yellow jackets there. I turned to Mugsy and said, "Now I know where you make all your money." He said, "Yup."

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Booked a trip to Purg first week in Feb. Was wanting to get up to Snowbowl in the next couple of weeks, hoping the holiday crowd has died down but jeez...

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Booked a trip to Purg first week in Feb. Was wanting to get up to Snowbowl in the next couple of weeks, hoping the holiday crowd has died down but jeez...
I will be at Purgatory that same week, and so will @RobSN . My dh and granddaughter will be along as well. We should meet up!

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I will be at Purgatory that same week, and so will @RobSN . My dh and granddaughter will be along as well. We should meet up!

Indeed! We are driving up Sun 1/31, skiing Mon Tue & Wed and headed home Thursday. I will PM you contact info as we get closer.

Tom

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In news from the Sunrise website:
- They have the webcam up and running. I see people skiing but I cant tell what/where the view is from.
- No snow report on the website, but there is a note "to get the snow report, call ####" I called and got the report for March 15.
- They have a new trail map! Looks nice but it's low res and no way to zoom in and actually be able to read it.
https://www.sunriseskipark.com/mountain-info

Bless their hearts. :huh:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
- They have the webcam up and running. I see people skiing but I cant tell what/where the view is from.
- No snow report on the website, but there is a note "to get the snow report, call ####" I called and got the report for March 15.
- They have a new trail map! Looks nice but it's low res and no way to zoom in and actually be able to read it.

In my browser, if I right click and hit "view image" the trail map opens much larger.

cholla

Booting up
Skier

I actually called the snow report number, because I find it incredible that there is no snow report on their website, and they want you to call for a phone report, in the year 2021. When I too got the recorded report for March 15th, I spoke with someone. He told me they have a new website, sunrise.ski - and they in fact do have the snow report on that website. The fact that the old website still exists and does not point to the new site, well, that appears to be par for the course.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hope springs eternal...:golfclap:

AlertSantaFe - National Weather Service Warning:

Winter Storm Warning issued January 8 at 2:49PM MST until January 10 at 11:00AM MST by NWS Albuquerque NM
Description: ...POTENT WINTER STORM BRINGS SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS TO
NORTHERN MOUNTAINS AND EASTERN PLAINS SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
SUNDAY MORNING...

.Significant snowfall accumulations of 6 to 12 inches over the
Sangre de Cristo Mountains

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hope springs eternal...:golfclap:

AlertSantaFe - National Weather Service Warning:

Winter Storm Warning issued January 8 at 2:49PM MST until January 10 at 11:00AM MST by NWS Albuquerque NM
Description: ...POTENT WINTER STORM BRINGS SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS TO
NORTHERN MOUNTAINS AND EASTERN PLAINS SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
SUNDAY MORNING...

.Significant snowfall accumulations of 6 to 12 inches over the
Sangre de Cristo Mountains

:crossfingers::snow::crossfingers::snow::crossfingers::snow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online