• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 20-21 Four Corners Weather, Conditions, Stoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@raisingarizona, I’d pick February and March, for the best snowpack and conditions. The drawbacks there are President’s Day and Texas spring break - crowds, but the biking is fine out on the desert during those holidays.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
@raisingarizona, I’d pick February and March, for the best snowpack and conditions. The drawbacks there are President’s Day and Texas spring break - crowds, but the biking is fine out on the desert during those holidays.

I was thinking February/March but it may end up being January/February. Thanks man.

Cody is all in, I’m going to teach her the ways of the dirt bag ski bum

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like Telluride has retired the name "Coonskin" from both the trail and the oldest running chairlift in Colorado. No new name yet... the conditions website calls the run "Lift 7 upper" and "Lift 7 middle" ("Lower Coonskin" was previously renamed to "O'Reilly's" 5 or 6 years ago). Growing up in the 80s, I remember hearing that the name Coonskin came from the outline shape made by the aspens on the hillside above the river bottom. A purported reprint of a 1910 article seems to back up/add to that story.

But I'm guessing maybe animal rights activists objected to the name? Or maybe its addition to trail maps right around the time that Ralph Bakshi's film full of stereotypes was released?

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looks like Telluride has retired the name "Coonskin" from both the trail and the oldest running chairlift in Colorado. No new name yet... the conditions website calls the run "Lift 7 upper" and "Lift 7 middle" ("Lower Coonskin" was previously renamed to "O'Reilly's" 5 or 6 years ago). Growing up in the 80s, I remember hearing that the name Coonskin came from the outline shape made by the aspens on the hillside above the river bottom. A purported reprint of a 1910 article seems to back up/add to that story.

But I'm guessing maybe animal rights activists objected to the name? Or maybe its addition to trail maps right around the time that Ralph Bakshi's film full of stereotypes was released?

Not surprising considering all the other renaming going on this year.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowing at Purgatory yay!!

Still, lines like I've never seen before. Hope it is just the holiday crowd...

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowing at the Snowbowl, YAY!

Chillonthehill

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I know they’re not selling lift tickets on site this year, but is there a top price for Snowbowl lift tickets this year? They are listed as $155 for tomorrow! I know there’s new snow, but not even 40% of the runs were open today and only 5 or so inches are expected.

I’m curious how crazy the lift lines will be but am guessing the cameras will be off and I’m not interested in being in that crowd.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Power Pass question: Seems that when I was researching the purchase back in May, there was an offer of some free tickets if the pass was purchased prior to some date. Now I don't find any mention of it, only 6 discounted tickets. Was I dreaming or is there a free ticket offer assuming I purchased before the deadline and if so, how does one collect?

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Power Pass question: Seems that when I was researching the purchase back in May, there was an offer of some free tickets if the pass was purchased prior to some date. Now I don't find any mention of it, only 6 discounted tickets. Was I dreaming or is there a free ticket offer assuming I purchased before the deadline and if so, how does one collect?

OK, used the Wayback Machine to find this: "Purchase our premier pass, the Power Pass, by May 29 and receive: ... Two FREE Lift Tickets ..."

So the last question applies, how does one collect these tickets? (guess I could always call the Snowbowl, haha )

Chillonthehill

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
OK, used the Wayback Machine to find this: "Purchase our premier pass, the Power Pass, by May 29 and receive: ... Two FREE Lift Tickets ..."

So the last question applies, how does one collect these tickets? (guess I could always call the Snowbowl, haha )

My understanding is that these are “buddy passes” and are the only tickets that can be bought on site at Snowbowl. The pass holder and the “buddy” have to be present.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Taos Ski Valley. Supposed to be operating at 25% capacity. I have never ever seen crowds like this during x’mas/ny holidays in the last 6 years...
D4566247-40F6-42A5-818B-993A326EA381.jpeg 1C7499C8-106F-47DF-8EDF-1EE6B7B65E44.jpeg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Taos Ski Valley. Supposed to be operating at 25% capacity. I have never ever seen crowds like this during x’mas/ny holidays in the last 6 years...
View attachment 119493 View attachment 119494
Is it actually crowded? Or is this more an effect of partially loaded chairs on the only lift out of the base? Or maybe a bit of both?

How crowded are the actual slopes and other lifts? (Are 7 and 4 open yet?)

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is it actually crowded? Or is this more an effect of partially loaded chairs on the only lift out of the base? Or maybe a bit of both?

How crowded are the actual slopes and other lifts? (Are 7 and 4 open yet?)

If this is a normal season, I wouldn’t call it crowded. But at 25% uphill capacity during a pandemic. It is crowded.

Yes, 7 and 4 running but they did not open Papa/Baby bear so everyone has to go back to Honeysuckle/7 to go to 4.

They roped off Al’s 1/3 way down and I have never seen so many people falling/sitting around on Al’s. Same for Inferno. It was not the snow because I found light fluffy powder and the bumps were soft and good sized.

Plenty of skiers/boarders laying around on all the groomed runs too. Pioneer (bunny slope) was quite empty but for some reason there were alot more beginners scattered on the rest of the mountain. Maybe that’s why it felt crowded?

I didn’t have to wait for 8,7 or 4, but there was a crowd on 2 during the morning. It definitely didn’t feel like 25% capacity at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January