• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

20/21 How many days so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
41 ski days seaver.jpg

41 lift-served and probably done. Real happy with that given a late start and all the uncertainty this season. Also had four X-C days.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
As they say length matters.... It's a much more relevant measure.

As an instructor you know. Take my brother as an example, full time instructor at Breck, on the snow almost every day but doesn't actually get to ski much. "Days" are really a meaningless measure. Assuming of course that's the point of this thread.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Let's hear verticals. That's what really matters.
About,
C322CD39-1CDF-4FDE-836E-5DD594E5F800.jpeg
Maybe 4M. Rarely less than 20K or more than 40K per day but there’s a big difference between 30K of steep moguls & the same on blue groomers :huh: .
I didn’t get nearly as much vertical while teaching full time but this thread has always been about how many days.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yesterday and today were 99 and 100 for me.
It was a very good morning at A-Basin today. The clouds and light breeze kept conditions pretty darn good until after 1:00
Its been a long time since I've had some personal time to sit with these ladies and just have lunch and chat after a morning of skiing.

4F37BBAC-EB09-494D-9203-5B3C0C88FE89.JPG

Also, I never noticed how much the frame of the BML looks like the mountain that frames it.
7A3233FC-D11A-4583-B2BF-F245613FCA32.JPG

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
A few Italian and French resorts actually opened main slopes (not summer glacier) this weekend after some extremely late snowfall coincided with relaxed Covid restrictions. So there's some lucky Europeans who got their first day of the season in yesterday or today

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Showed up for 161 out of 170 Days that Killington operated. Last day of the Eastern season was Sunday May 16th. Even drove down the street to hit Okemo for one day this season.
Season vertical total 1,928,248.

Final run
IMG_1149.jpg

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
roy_zoom.jpg

That's probably it for me this year. Strange one, for everyone. Considering I had my knee replaced last summer; the, ya know, Covid thing; and the miserable BC snowpack, I guess it's not too bad. Had a great trip up north in February and several Taos pow days for some spice, but overall, a bit meh. Onward and upward!

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
75, 76, 77 for me this Canadian long weekend. I skied toured up Mount Andromeda in the Columbia Icefields on Saturday and skied the final two days at sunshine yesterday and today. Yesterday was pretty fun. Today was fun too, but it rained to treeline.

That's it for lift-serviced skiing in Canada. I hope to ski in the backcountry the next two weekends, but the weather will have to cooperate. After the first week of June, I'll stop skiing on a regular basis. But if we don't get clear skies and good freezes, I might be done now.

I'll still try to ski one day (or a least a few turns) in June, July, August, and September.

Great season overall. Liz and I didn't visit her parents in Ontario this Christmas and we took a rare February vacation.....so more days than usual even though our work schedules were more or less unchanged.

Some pics from our latest (hopefully not last) backcountry day.
and1.jpg
and2.jpg
and3.jpg
and4.jpg
and5.jpg
and6.jpg
and7.jpg
and 8.jpg
and9.jpg
and10.jpg

Unmarkedobstacles

Back to being the UnofficialAlpine.com guy
Industry Insider
My season finished with 167 of 167 at Alpine Meadows, every day they were open, plus one at Squaw and one at Mammoth for a total of 169 days and 2.6 million vertical feet that my Apple Watch managed to track. It usually missed a run every day or so.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hit 60 last Sunday and that was it for the season as our condo was rented for Memorial weekend. But...my renters just cancelled. Will have to discuss the possibility of getting 2 or 3 more days with my DH.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
75, 76, 77 for me this Canadian long weekend. I skied toured up Mount Andromeda in the Columbia Icefields on Saturday and skied the final two days at sunshine yesterday and today. Yesterday was pretty fun. Today was fun too, but it rained to treeline.

That's it for lift-serviced skiing in Canada. I hope to ski in the backcountry the next two weekends, but the weather will have to cooperate. After the first week of June, I'll stop skiing on a regular basis. But if we don't get clear skies and good freezes, I might be done now.

I'll still try to ski one day (or a least a few turns) in June, July, August, and September.

Great season overall. Liz and I didn't visit her parents in Ontario this Christmas and we took a rare February vacation.....so more days than usual even though our work schedules were more or less unchanged.

Some pics from our latest (hopefully not last) backcountry day.
View attachment 134560 View attachment 134559 View attachment 134558 View attachment 134557 View attachment 134556 View attachment 134555 View attachment 134554 View attachment 134553 View attachment 134552 View attachment 134551
Those pics are incredible.

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Day 1 done, such as it was. 2 hours in the Milton Keynes Snozone (for those not based in the UK, a 170m indoor slope)

Firstly the pros:

- Covid restrictions meant that it was almost empty - so effectively no queuing, just almost endless laps.
- First run out for my Line Blades and I'm in love
- The fitness work I've put in over lockdown has made a huge difference to me - skiiing takes far less effort, even allowing for the ease of the new skis.

The cons

- 15 months since I last strapped the boots on, and eveyrthing aches
- The "snow". I don't know what they've been doing over the last 15 months, but it felt like they'd created a 170m ice sheet and layered some icy crust over the top. It used to feel like 2-3 inches of damp powder
- I'd forgotten just how much I HATE button lifts.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Is a button lift aka platter lift? A disk on the end of a rope/pole? I've never heard them called a button lift but then Brits have different words for many things. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online