• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

20/21 How many days so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Is a button lift aka platter lift? A disk on the end of a rope/pole? I've never heard them called a button lift but then Brits have different words for many things. ;)

That would be the same thing. Not so bad on the end of a rope, but these were on a pole. They're a truely abhorrent piece of design with no thought at all given to user experience (not helped by the snow undetneat them having damned near worn away to a very sticky rubber mat

EDIT - not so much a Brit term, I think at least it's the English translation of the Euro term. First described to be by an ESF instructor in Chamonix

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
That would be the same thing. Not so bad on the end of a rope, but these were on a pole. They're a truely abhorrent piece of design with no thought at all given to user experience (not helped by the snow undetneat them having damned near worn away to a very sticky rubber mat
We called our button lift at Cranmore Mt. 'the Poma' as it was a Poma (brand) lift. Back in the 50s and 60s, it was what served the beginner terrain. Unfortunately it was an advanced lift. It was the metal pole variety and the springs would bottom out quick and hard making it a real challenge for novice skiers. Basically it started out like a bucking bronco causing more than a few to fall off right at the get-go.

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
We called our button lift at Cranmore Mt. 'the Poma' as it was a Poma (brand) lift. Back in the 50s and 60s, it was what served the beginner terrain. Unfortunately it was an advanced lift. It was the metal pole variety and the springs would bottom out quick and hard making it a real challenge for novice skiers. Basically it started out like a bucking bronco causing more than a few to fall off right at the get-go.

Yeah, that's pretty much how these things are today. I completely get why you;re not going to put any sort of chairlift on 170m run (although there is a chairlift in Morzine that's almost that short) but this thing could put a beginner off before they even consider making the hop to the Alps

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Day 1 done, such as it was. 2 hours in the Milton Keynes Snozone (for those not based in the UK, a 170m indoor slope)

Firstly the pros:

- Covid restrictions meant that it was almost empty - so effectively no queuing, just almost endless laps.
- First run out for my Line Blades and I'm in love
- The fitness work I've put in over lockdown has made a huge difference to me - skiiing takes far less effort, even allowing for the ease of the new skis.

The cons

- 15 months since I last strapped the boots on, and eveyrthing aches
- The "snow". I don't know what they've been doing over the last 15 months, but it felt like they'd created a 170m ice sheet and layered some icy crust over the top. It used to feel like 2-3 inches of damp powder
- I'd forgotten just how much I HATE button lifts.
1 day later... everything hurts, but less than I have might expected. Need some more slope time and a lot more fitness before next year

bgimby

Losing an edge
Skier
62, I think? I've lost count. But, 5 this week at timberline. Pic from top of Palmer below.
20210611_074934.jpeg

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Day 2, over a month later thanks to zero free time. Not hurting quite as bad this time, but that bloody lift........

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think that's about 14 so far for me in NZ. Lost a few weeks mid-season because of lockdown.
The upper slopes of Treble Cone were skiing great today even though it closes in 2 days.
View attachment 143651
I've been thinking about you guys. How long did lock down last? Did I hear right that you had some decent snow just about the time lockdown happened?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I've been thinking about you guys. How long did lock down last? Did I hear right that you had some decent snow just about the time lockdown happened?
This is interesting and I was just wondering if this thread should be separated into two threads, one for Northern Hemisphere and one for Southern Hemisphere since the seasons are reversed?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is interesting and I was just wondering if this thread should be separated into two threads, one for Northern Hemisphere and one for Southern Hemisphere since the seasons are reversed?
Eh, its a fun way to keep the thread going and see how our friends in the Southern Hemisphere are doing.

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeah, it has been another strange season down here. The ski fields were closed for 21 days starting August 18 which is pretty much prime skiing time. You're right, there was a nice storm right before lockdown. I was luck enough to enjoy a rare NZ resort powder day on 17 Aug, with about a foot of the good stuff at Cardrona. Treble Cone had even more snow, but were unable to open before lockdown - what a waste!

Unfortunately Auckland is basically still in lockdown, with people there not allowed to leave the city.

TS
Mothertucker

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I forgot to tally up for the season. I only did 73 more days after this first one. I usually get into triple digits, but opted for quality over quantity this past season. Mammoth having a short Spring had an effect as well.
IMG_20210123_185031833.jpg
Screenshot_20210220-192846.png
Screenshot_20210318-194421.png

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah, it has been another strange season down here. The ski fields were closed for 21 days starting August 18 which is pretty much prime skiing time. You're right, there was a nice storm right before lockdown. I was luck enough to enjoy a rare NZ resort powder day on 17 Aug, with about a foot of the good stuff at Cardrona. Treble Cone had even more snow, but were unable to open before lockdown - what a waste!

Unfortunately Auckland is basically still in lockdown, with people there not allowed to leave the city.
Crazy times, eh?
I remember the drought season here in 2019/20 and having the big resorts close things down on the first real powder weekend of the season.
Ski shop customers where clamoring to get snow shoes, back country gear or anything that would help them get out and enjoy the snow after it finally arrived.

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier

Aha, I remember that first day of lockdown very well. Every Canterbury ski area was closed on the 17th because the storm was still happening up here, and pretty much every skier/boarder I knew including myself had arranged to take the 18th off work.....

.......yeahhhhh.

I'm up to the low 20s in days. Between covid lockdowns and some other stuff I had going on, it's definitely been harder to rack up the days. Last season finished around now, and I had exactly 40 days at the end.

The snow has overall been much better this season, though! At least up here in Canterbury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online