• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

20/21 How many days so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
2 at Alta

7DF0D9DB-F438-4BC5-BF33-9E35816AFD3A.jpeg

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Hello all,

Ski season is well underway here in Edmonton, Alberta. We have 4 local hills here and three are already open and the other one is scheduled for next week.

I have gone 2 times to Snow Valley for a couple of hours each time. It is the smallest of our local hills and a couple hours is all one can take when laps are around 3 to 4 minutes. Mask usage has been 100 percent from what I have seen. Pass holders can go anytime, all other must reserve a 4 hour time slot which they do every 30 minutes.
Odd fact about Snow Valley - it has one of a very few pulse chairlifts in the world.

Wearing a mask with eyeglasses is going to be a problem this year. First day I went, is was snowing like mad so I had to take my glasses off and dry/clean them at the top of every run. The second time I went was better. I wore a different mask that came up over my nose more and put my glasses over the top of the mask on my nose. This seemed to work much better as I did not need to stop and clean/wipe my glasses dry all day.

Kent
Lol the house I grew up in was 5 min from Snow Valley over in Aspen Gardens :) Ironically my first time ever on skis was at the Edmond Ski Club, but basically grew up skiing snow valley back when it was just a T-bar and rope tow. I think 3-4 min laps is being generous, but it is a great place to learn to ski. My daughters had their first lesson and first time on skis there while we were home for a visit and my brother actually held is Wedding there.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Six at Mt. Rose. Skied with @Plai and @WadeHoliday's off spring. We did see resident racer, the mango flash, @ScotsSkier.

yes, i has the beer in the truck for lunchtime as well but unfortunately I had to go catch up with my head coach to sort out some details for our program ..... so that took a lot of time and missed lunch...:( (oh and day 5, and 5th different pair of skis -- guess i will need to start waxing some more...)

dovski

Skier
You guys are killing me. Had shoulder surgery in September and doc says no skiing until Feb :( worst part is it is dumping snow in the PNW and all our hills will be open by next week.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Opening day at Sun Valley was beautiful weather, a bit better than average coverage and runs open, but a bit too busy for my tastes. I always say it doesn't start to get good until the week after Thanksgiving.

Feeling my age (73 1/2), though.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I’m going to have to ignore this thread, because I’m getting envious of other people’s numbers. Of course, it takes me 2 /12 hours to get to Crystal, and that travel to will lower to 1 hour 45 minutes when Stevens opens, but still..... those of you who live within 40 minutes of good skiing are very fortunate. Or good at planning your lives. Well, I gotta work, and 2 days skiing a week is probably what I‘ll get, other than any trips.

That said, there are no WRODS and it’s all natural snow, and the skiing’s been good, really good for early season. Basically all trails are open at Crystal (other than some inbound hike-to terrain), and all trails and lifts are open at Baker as well, I hear. When Stevens opens Dec 4, I think most everything will be running and open.

dovski

Skier

I’m going to have to ignore this thread, because I’m getting envious of other people’s numbers. Of course, it takes me 2 /12 hours to get to Crystal, and that travel to will lower to 1 hour 45 minutes when Stevens opens, but still..... those of you who live within 40 minutes of good skiing are very fortunate. Or good at planning your lives. Well, I gotta work, and 2 days skiing a week is probably what I‘ll get, other than any trips.

That said, there are no WRODS and it’s all natural snow, and the skiing’s been good, really good for early season. Basically all trails are open at Crystal (other than some inbound hike-to terrain), and all trails and lifts are open at Baker as well, I hear. When Stevens opens Dec 4, I think most everything will be running and open.
Snoqualmie and more importantly Alpental are supposed to open next week if conditions hold up. A bunch of my friends skinned up yesterday and said the snow was great.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Snoqualmie and more importantly Alpental are supposed to open next week if conditions hold up. A bunch of my friends skinned up yesterday and said the snow was great.
Good to know. That said, it takes me about the same time, sometimes longer, to get to Alpental as it does to Stevens, depending on 405 traffic.

dovski

Skier
Good to know. That said, it takes me about the same time, sometimes longer, to get to Alpental as it does to Stevens, depending on 405 traffic.
It takes me around 40 minutes from my place to Alpental and my kids ski Freeride up there so we are there every weekend pretty much.

rustypouch

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've already lost track. I'd guess about 20 days on snow so far this season.

Errand Wolfe

Ski like Stein
Skier
After much deliberation I renewed my Loveland pass today so zero so far but that'll change soon and I'll be back to post again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor