• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

20 steep slower turns through bumps

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
I got a chance to watch some more of the videos... This time I had the sound up, and the snow's firmness comes thru loud and clear. I'm almost at the end of having to stay off the slopes for 4 weeks following surgery, so not much else to do but wait and watch ski videos. I certainly took the the hint for comments the same way I take a forecast for 4 to 8" of snow to mean a promise of 8" of powder.

1) There's a huge benefit to skiing a familiar line, both over a season and several times during a ski day. You'd probably know to avoid that nasty snow snake/twig even if it was covered by fresh snow. Most of the notable rocks at my home mountain are already covered with P-tex from my skis, and I can usually avoid them.

2) I think I would really not like skiing on those blue skis (they don't match my jacket, plus I really did not like my demo of the Rossi Soul 7's, which also have an early-rise shovel). I also have only limited experience demoing different types of skis, my ski experience: (70's/80's: Olins, 80's/90's Volants, 90's/00's Salomons, '07/present Volkls). Would like to try some of the sticks raved about on this site, Stockli, Augment, others...

I'm extremely upset that you divulged to the entire world one of my best-kept ski secrets, "The snow is much nicer along the edge of the run". Don't tell anybody that directly under the chairlift can also be a well-hidden spot for softer snow.

I've only skied using a Go-Pro one ski trip, mounted on the end of a selfie-stick, it was lots of fun to play with on a groomer, and allowed some nice variety of perspectives. -- hold it back over your shoulder, or out in front filming a skier in front, or yourself, or overhead, several other creative options. Might be more challenging to attempt with one hand videoing, one hand pole-planting, while skiing nasty steep moguls. I'm really tempted to go out and get one-- how much time and gloved-hands-fumbling effort is it to actually use on the slopes, though? Might be fun for biking or boating too! I've been disappointed with the time and effort needed, and tiny size of the skier in the frame, in stationary camera videos I've taken.
I've been described as "skiing like I learned to ski in the 1960's" which is correct, but i'm not sure if that's an insult or a compliment. Will have to get a video of myself to find out.

1641240965947.jpeg

Me circa 2003, skiing with my poles.
Right or wrong, I ain't gonna change now... not gonna listen to anybody who tells me I should do anything differently.

TS
SSSdave

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
bb4519b.jpg

A couple images from a 2020 lift chair showing another perspective to bump forms. This first above shows with pink lines, a diagonal pattern of bumps. Such patterns result from enough skilled bump skiers skiing down mogul fields. The south Lake Tahoe cities a have a 50k population, one of the largest nearby to any ski areas where there are a large number of local skilled skiers with more in nearby Carson City and Minden areas. The other Tahoe resort with a significant local population base is Mount Rose.

At Heavenly, there are two favored bump slopes, well known Gunbarrel between 6750 and 8200 feet and Little Dipper between 8900 and 9470 feet. Those comp bump skiers that tend to ski Gunbarrel are referred to as Face Rats. Because of its lower elevation, snow quality is on average noticeably lower. Those that ski Little Dipper have in the past been referred to as Comet Kats, and like this person tend to prefer its more viscerally enjoyable colder drier skier packed powder snow surfaces.

bump-forms1.jpg

The above image is a lift perspective to forms shown on the beginning and end images on my OP video. Orphans don't tend to form as much on moderate gradient bump slopes but when they do may be in groups where they disrupt usual skier technique requiring different turn tactics. I tend to ski such regular bump patterns more conventionally turning against Mound Tops at the L/R Knees and then edge down to the side of next lower Mound Tops, a wonderfully rhythmic feeling when locked in.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 154005

A couple images from a 2020 lift chair showing another perspective to bump forms. This first above shows with pink lines, a diagonal pattern of bumps. Such patterns result from enough skilled bump skiers skiing down mogul fields. The south Lake Tahoe cities a have a 50k population, one of the largest nearby to any ski areas where there are a large number of local skilled skiers with more in nearby Carson City and Minden areas. The other Tahoe resort with a significant local population base is Mount Rose.

At Heavenly, there are two favored bump slopes, well known Gunbarrel between 6750 and 8200 feet and Little Dipper between 8900 and 9470 feet. Those comp bump skiers that tend to ski Gunbarrel are referred to as Face Rats. Because of its lower elevation, snow quality is on average noticeably lower. Those that ski Little Dipper have in the past been referred to as Comet Kats, and like this person tend to prefer its more viscerally enjoyable colder drier skier packed powder snow surfaces.

View attachment 154006

The above image is a lift perspective to forms shown on the beginning and end images on my OP video. Orphans don't tend to form as much on moderate gradient bump slopes but when they do may be in groups where they disrupt usual skier technique requiring different turn tactics. I tend to ski such regular bump patterns more conventionally turning against Mound Tops at the L/R Knees and then edge down to the side of next lower Mound Tops, a wonderfully rhythmic feeling when locked in.
I'd just like to suggest a much more contrasting text color (bright lime green maybe?). For this silghtly color-blind person, the red text is unreadable in a lot of places. It actually took me a second to realize it was text, and not all grass/rocks sticking up through the snow.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Those are some of the most regularly laid out moguls one will ever see outside of a deliberately created bump line, I reckon.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Those are some of the most regularly laid out moguls one will ever see outside of a deliberately created bump line, I reckon.
I agree, they are beautiful. You find ones like that once in awhile, if you are lucky.

TS
SSSdave

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
I'd just like to suggest a much more contrasting text color (bright lime green maybe?). For this silghtly color-blind person, the red text is unreadable in a lot of places. It actually took me a second to realize it was text, and not all grass/rocks sticking up through the snow.

Oops! Meant to do that thank you @dbostedo for the reminder. You are welcome to replace my earlier image with this edited copy.

bump-forms1.jpg

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I used to ski Gun Barrel back in my Tahoe days!

Sponsor

Staff online