• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review 2015-2016 Head Monster 83 177cm

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
@jmeb I've got a nice pair of Atomic GS's that I'm not using. 183cm, 26.2 meter. I think they are 2015's. PM me if you are interested.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I always look for opinions on mount points so or those of you that have a new pair and are wondering...

I read what I could and asked quesions of those who have demo bindings and I went with 5mm forwad of the line (2015-16 model). If I did it again, I'd probably go with the recommended mark. They feel great where they are but I never feel like there is too much tip but have occasionally thought there isn't enough.

Caviat: I am used to race skis and ski in plug boots. Most of my skis are longer too.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah I am mounted right on the line....

FlimFlamvanHam

Putting on skis
Skier
Does anyone know if if there were any changes to the Monster 83 from 15-16 to 16-17 to 17-18 model years?

Happened to be reading this thread and even though old thought I'd post up for some info. I own the 16's in 177 for what it's worth; mounted +1 and agree with all that has been posted: stiff; great carver; cannot go slow; etc, however wanted to clarify that the 83 was the ONLY ski in the Monster line that Head left exactly the same (except for top sheet) through the 3 models years 16, 17 and 18. There is no slight softening of the tips and no slight add to the rocker like on the 98's and 88's (don't know about the 108's) that happened for '18.

The hammer head 19's are a different ski. Similar construction, but softer, tighter sidecut; much more accessible.

I find it amusing whenever I see an online shop listing the previous gen as 'intermediate' skis. I guess because, of course, width dictates the target market, right? Kinda funny how that works because in this case (or the Brahma's for that matter) that is so inaccurate.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have the 170cm version of this and my impressions at that length are different to the above. It’s a great carver etc but in a 170cm length I find it great in short/medium carved turns. I find the flex more forgiving than a Brahma at 173cm but the skis are close in performance. For groomed snow skiing I prefer the Heads.

Also I had no issue that I noticed anyway in slow speed turns.

Heads are damp so it also did longer turns as well as a 170 could

Sponsor

Staff online