• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review 2016 Head Monster 88 in-depth review

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider
Ski reviewed: Head Monster 88 177cm; ERA 3.0 rocker (slight early rise at the tip, full tip taper, 2 sheets of metal with Graphene inlay). Mounted with an Attack 13 demo binding. 17M radius

Ski is carried over, no changes save for graphics, for 2017.

Skier: 5 foot 9, 155-160lbs. Skis 10-30 days a year. See video (not yet attached) for skill level and skiing style

The terrain: Copper Mountain soft snow, super cold pow, up to 12” deep; soft powder bumps, groomers, and some trees. Skied over 2 days. Mainly steeper bumps on Resolution and the Alpine liftline; Spaulding Bowl and the steeper pitches off Sierra, random trees, and zippy Colorado Hero groomers.

First off, a disclaimer and a little bit about me: we are www.dawgcatching.com and have been a Head dealer for around 20 years now. They have usually made a great ski (although the REV wasn't my favorite and the Rock n' Roll was the best ski with a the worst graphic of all time). The original Monster was a bit of a standout in the category: a real “skiers ski” that was exceptional if you knew how to ski it. From there, the line evolved (some would say devolved) into the Peak series: some of which were very good to great skis, and some quite underwhelming. The REV worked for some, not for others; in steps the Monster reboot, in several key sizes. The 88 is reviewed here, although I have skied the 98 as well, and my comments would apply to the 98 as well.

Please give us a call if you would like more information about the skis we carry, and don't forget the Pugski member discount! 541-593-2453. We have these on mega blowout right now for $449.

I was able to ski this hard for 2 days and put it through it's paces. I found the 88mm width to be money for the conditions at Copper: just enough float for the bowl's new snow,, but just narrow enough for skiing bumps at speed, staying zipper line. Great do-everything width for Colorado, and this was just after a big dump of around 22” over 2 days. I would encourage anyone looking at a one-ski quiver for Colorado to check out an 88mm-ish ski: you give up bump performance and a lot of fun with a wide 105, only to gain some float which you will rarely use. Ski choices are always trade-offs, but I love that width for typical Rockies conditions where the snow doesn't fall 3 feet at a time. I apologize for the digression.

Review: the Monster 88 isn't what it first appears to be. Upon glancing at the ski, most observers would note a fairly stiff ski, 2 sheets of metal, basically full camber with a tiny bit of early rise, and a non-tapered tip. If it were 72mm wide it perhaps would be called a carver. So this is a wide carver, correct? As they say in sports “that's why they play the game”. It's also why we are here to review skis!

First few runs: groomers, fast and wide, buffed out. The Monster doesn't come across as a ripping groomer ride. It is somewhat deliberate when getting tipped into the turn: once there, it holds like glue, but there is little energy to speak of. An aggressive “down the fall line” release coming out of a big angulation will put some light between your skis and the slope, but only a bit. Overall, it is competent, but lacks energy here. I was feeling a bit “off” and did some one-footed release drills on it: the Monster is a very competent slow-speed ski, and suitable for groomers. I was trying to help my S.O. advance on her previous day's lesson (discretion highly advised) and puttering around at slow speeds, I found the Monster to be agreeable. Consider it a worthy teaching ski.

The original Monster was considered a superb all-mountain, do everything right board. A true all-terrain ski that could handle any condition and not suck anywhere. AKA road trip ski. That is where the Monster started to sing for me. Sure, the groomers were nothing to write home about, but groomers is a spot where you notice the zip, the power of certain skis. Those same skis often leave a lot to be desired when traveling off-piste. The Monster is slightly weighted toward off-piste performance; they have the typical resort expert covered very well in this regard. I spent probably 20 runs bashing bumps over on Resolution (9 minute lift ride, 4 minutes back down) and the Monster did not disappoint. The top section has a fairly good steep section with widely spaced bumps: the Monster loved the slightly longer spacing in those bumps. The action I used was an aggressive down the hill pole plant when turning on the backside of a bump; a strong unweight by pulling the feet back and moving over the skis; tipping and turning the inside ski's tip; then getting the skis back onto edge when finishing the turn, allowing them to drift to the next bump. The initial steep section is about 10 turns long when skied direct fall line, and very fast. The Monster ate it up! I was extremely confident in each and every turn: I honestly couldn't ask for more.

Once in the tighter, lower angle bumps down underneath the lift, I found the Monster to again be capable. With this ski, tipping the inside ski and moving down the fall line was the most important movement. The tail of the 88 was solid but not stout: I could recover from a backseat screwup well enough. Get over the skis and push them forward, and the 88 was again a very happy camper. Very easy for this level of performance. It seems that ski just keep growing in forgiveness while retaining their top end.

Next, I got the ski over to the slow lift next to Super Bee. The bumps there are more spaced out, higher speeds, more like crud piles that you would see on an old-school ski movie from the 70's. On the Monster, I was able to emulate the high-speed float from long spaced bumps, the weightless transition and slower edge to edge changes. Again, stay on the tip of the ski, and you will be rewarded with hero turns. Wow.

I also got the ski into some new snow off Spaulding. Even 2 days after the storm, only a handful of tracks existed over there. It isn't exactly scary steep, but enough to put a ski through it's paces. What I learned about the Monster: it loves cut-up crud, and will blast through anything. It also isn't the floatiest ski: average for this width category. I didn't need any more float, but I wouldn't have wanted to spring for the Monster 83. It loved an aggressive release in the steeps: totally unlike a Rossi Soul 7, which almost seems to fold under countering and snappy releases. This isn't a skid and steer ski (not suitable for Texans I suppose) but a precision tool that delivers. It is quick, powerful, and comes around in a hurry. Same could be said for bashing tree openings and following tree bumps: it goes where you want, with the confidence to know it will turn on a dime. Not to mention the stability that comes with 2 sheets of metal, yet without the extra loss of sweet spot.

I loved this ski. If I were skiing the occasional groomer, doing drills on it, yet required a mid-width all-mountain ski, the Monster 88 would be at the top of my list. For those who spend a lot of time on the groomers, I would get something a little more snappy for that terrain, and likely pay a bit of a penalty off-piste (either a ski that is more grabby or stiffer). There are a whole lot of areas where an 88mm ski is the perfect everyday width, and this is one of the best models on the market. It was a superb partner for 2 days of off-piste skiing at Copper; it made me look better than I actually ski!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thorough review as always. Thanks! Looking forward to hearing what you think about the Titan and Rally (next year's purchase is a new "frontside plus" ripper in the 80 or less size).

BTW agree with your comments on widths!

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
nice review, I also really enjoyed the 88. I too found it a little vague on engagement (I was skiing it on the line and felt it would have benefited by moving it up about +5mm or so) ) but that worked to its advantage on broken and crud. It was more than adequate for rippin' around all mountain skiing for sure. A ski that should be on anyone's test list in the overcrowded 88 segment. Given the price of many of the top-rated 88's this ski is a steal.

Where did you ski it mounted? Like Many Heads, I feel they can be moved slightly forward to get better engagement.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
*grin* funny thing is I was doing some drill work with an instructor on the 2015s and he dinged me for being too far forward.

TS
dawgcatching

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider
Thorough review as always. Thanks! Looking forward to hearing what you think about the Titan and Rally (next year's purchase is a new "frontside plus" ripper in the 80 or less size).

BTW agree with your comments on widths!

I found the Rally to be a bit of a step back for my personal taste. It is now more "pure carver" in that it is beefed up all around. I took it into El Cap chutes at Rose, and it was OK, but more of a handful than the old Rally in 170. That ski is incredibly friendly; the new one feels like a race carver. I have a use for a versatile frontside technical ski, but not a thoroughbred carver, so it wasn't my cup of tea. Super fun though! Not a ski I would purchase (due to funds and having too many skis). Skis like the MX and Laser AX are more up my alley. I was bummed that Head went this way, as they already have a stable full of full-on carvers. What made the Supershapes unique was that they blended 95%+ of the performance from a full-on carver with all-mountain characteristics. My old Magnum was one of the most versatile skis I have ever used. Probably better for most people: the new skis will require a higher level of technical skill and expertise than the old models. Of course, one man's copper is another man's gold, so there is a market for these skis. Just not really for myself.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Huh, sorry for the thread drift, but perhaps a leftover this year's Rally in 177 would suit me (see recent "Slow Ski Shopping" thread).

The Monsters sound like great skis that would have suited me years ago, when friends bestowed the moniker of "Two Turn Tom".

The Motive 95s I bought based in no small part on your review suit me more the more I ski them, but the spin of the wheel has had me on firm snow more than anything else the last three weeks.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Me. They're mounted on the line. I'm tempted to suspect I was compensating for *something* as I've never been guilty of too far forward before.

I just felt they were just a smidge too far back. I felt they weren't engaging as quickly as they should when sking short/med radius turns on the groomed . they were fine in the bumps and broken (3d) where that wont show up as much. That said, this is a great ski.

TS
dawgcatching

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider
I just felt they were just a smidge too far back. I felt they weren't engaging as quickly as they should when sking short/med radius turns on the groomed . they were fine in the bumps and broken (3d) where that wont show up as much. That said, this is a great ski.

I could see that being the case. The shovel on the 88 is quite stiff; might benefit from being 1cm forward. It has a lot of tip too, mounted on the line. I will try that and report back

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I could see that being the case. The shovel on the 88 is quite stiff; might benefit from being 1cm forward. It has a lot of tip too, mounted on the line. I will try that and report back

I would start at +5, I really felt they were just off a bit

Africa

Booting up
Skier
Just skied the monster 88 in the 177cm length. I played around with the mount point with the rental bindings. The original mount wasn't 100percent accurate(within .5cm of the mark). At the mark, the tip felt quite heavy, it skied fine, but I could see it getting tiring. At 1cm forward, it felt much more balanced, this is where I will keep it. I also tried about 2cm forward(a smidge less as it's not totally accurate) and the skis felt fairly light and quick in the tips, the tails felt heavy though. At 2cm forward it was almost playful for a stout ski, for me, I already have a playful ski, so I still want this to be pretty stout.
1cm forward, maybe 1.5 is great. The position I liked the least was on the mark.

PS: The conditions were full on spring slush, wet and heavy.
Thanks for the original review, this is an excellent stout ski for skiers with decent skills and a preference for speed.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Monster88 seems to be a fairly popular ski among the ski instructors at Squaw (the types you usually see on Experience 88, or Volkl RTM type of ski). Based on the review, it certainly fits the bill.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I'm just curious about how those who own the Monster 88 found the original tune to be. I read a review of them on another forum and the owner, who is pretty knowledgeable about ski tuning, found them almost un-skiable until corrected. I know it is just one piece of data. My home mountain had them on sale at 40% off at seasons end, it was very tempting.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm just curious about how those who own the Monster 88 found the original tune to be. I read a review of them on another forum and the owner, who is pretty knowledgeable about ski tuning, found them almost un-skiable until corrected. I know it is just one piece of data. My home mountain had them on sale at 40% off at seasons end, it was very tempting.
Since you didn't like the MX88, I am not sure the Monster 88 would be the tool of choice for you either. Maybe the 83? I do recall some of the very early 88's having a bad tune, but that was very early production.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Personally I would always tune a ski brand new.

Doing two head rev 105 and one collective 105 in the last year, I would definitely tune the edges. I do 1/3 but I think they come standard 1/2. The base edges were not all consistent. I tune all new new skis when I get them. Granted, I started serious tuning my own skis 3 years ago.

I really need to try the Monsters. I will be looking for new skis next season and based on how I like the Rev 105s, I need to demo the Monsters.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I spent a couple days on the Monster 88 this season, including last Friday at Highlands. These are 177s with Attack demos, which I put one notch forward. I'm not sure what that equates to, maybe a couple mm? Anyway, I don't have too much to add except agreement. It is really a solid, capable ski, quick but not particularly high energy, stable but not sluggish. Skied a lot of slush bumps, and they were super fun. Skied some thick leftover-Easter-mashed-potato bumps, and I was glad to be on those rather than something skinnier. As for length, I personally wouldn't want to go any shorter; 177 is right in my sweet spot, and these felt just fine.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Personally I would always tune a ski brand new.

Doing two head rev 105 and one collective 105 in the last year, I would definitely tune the edges. I do 1/3 but I think they come standard 1/2. The base edges were not all consistent. I tune all new new skis when I get them. Granted, I started serious tuning my own skis 3 years ago.

I really need to try the Monsters. I will be looking for new skis next season and based on how I like the Rev 105s, I need to demo the Monsters.

A very very different (thankfully IMHO) than the Rev 105, but given that you like the 105, the same may not be true of the monster.