• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
So this season required a trigger to start the thread.

What prompted me to do it?

Was it the 109 degree temperatures here in Placer County?

Was it the tent sales this weekend and the anticipated new ski gear? (Maybe)

Was it the new issue of Powder next to my toilet? (Print is dead though, right?)

Was it @Philpug's insistence? (probably)

IMG_1228.jpg

(Yes, here at the Peters House we do use a squatty potty.)

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
My crew will be in Tahoe mid January. On the MCP so will be checking out Squaw Alpine. Hoping for clear days so we can get great photos of the lake.
Then moving on to Mammoth. Not hoping for clear days there.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will be at California Ski Company in Berkeley this weekend of anyone is around and wants to swing by to talk skis!

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Besides a waterspout over the Lake, it also snowed near South Lake Tahoe.

"Lake Tahoe had its first snowfall of the season on Tuesday, Sept. 13.

Kirkwood Mountain Resort reported around 3 to 4 inches of wet snow early in the morning. The resort's base is at 7,800 feet.

Sierra-at-Tahoe, located at 8,800 feet, also reported snow."

I'm going this weekend for Sample the Sierra and seeing that SLT temp is predicted to drop to 26 next Tuesday (and nobody is scheduled to use my family's cabin for a while), I'm shutting off water.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We got some...
Besides a waterspout over the Lake, it also snowed near South Lake Tahoe.

"Lake Tahoe had its first snowfall of the season on Tuesday, Sept. 13.

Kirkwood Mountain Resort reported around 3 to 4 inches of wet snow early in the morning. The resort's base is at 7,800 feet.

Sierra-at-Tahoe, located at 8,800 feet, also reported snow."

I'm going this weekend for Sample the Sierra and seeing that SLT temp is predicted to drop to 26 next Tuesday (and nobody is scheduled to use my family's cabin for a while), I'm shutting off water.
We got fooled by that too, it was 2016.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Def. was a waterspout yesterday, though, unless there's fake news on the radio, too. I'd love to find pix of it.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
We got some...

We got fooled by that too, it was 2016.

Good catch. It did snow Sept. 8, 2017 on Carson Pass according to http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/news/winter-forecast-be-ready-for-everything/ which also quotes Bryan Allegretto and Nina Oakley, regional climatologist for the National Weather Service.

Def. was a waterspout yesterday, though, unless there's fake news on the radio, too. I'd love to find pix of it.
See http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article173218521.html for a video

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'll be holding things down here at Kirkwood this winter it looks like.

For now I'm still thoroughly enjoying summer so no rush.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Epicpass sent an email indicating my auto pass renewal was imminent so reviewed what the options were for this coming season. Then Monday phoned their office and had my pass changed from Kirkwood only no restrictions senior $469 that I've had since Vail bought the resort to the Tahoe Value Pass senior $399. Vail could have gotten more of my money if they would have offered a Tahoe Local Pass with a senior discount which they do not for unknown reasons?

Thus outside the holiday black out dates will now be able to ski Heavenly 7 days a week and either Northstar or Kirkwood all but Saturdays. No big deal because I retired in February from my 8-5 m-f hi tech career in Silicon Valley of 4+ decades so skiing weekends no longer matters. Gunbarrel and East Face moguls on Saturdays when those slopes are most dug up and loose by other skiers is perfect for my interests.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Where is the Tahoe crew??? The Colorado thread is smoking us 66:13, lets get the stoke going here.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Does Northstar have an official opening date yet?
Nothing official yet...quite frankly, "Official Opening Day" claims are as useless as the paper they are typed on. When they have enough snow to where it makes sense to open, they will. Having "Official Opening Day, November 15th" is useless if it is 70* two weeks leading up to it.

The Dad

reducing mountain town property values
Skier
My crew will be in Tahoe mid January. On the MCP so will be checking out Squaw Alpine. Hoping for clear days so we can get great photos of the lake.
Squalpine isn't the absolute best place for lake photos - Homewood and Heavenly have us beat in that respect, albeit that respect only. But if that's your goal, you should bear in mind that Alpine is essentially in a valley between Squaw and Big Blue, and closer helps.

Here's a shot from February.
IMG_20170211_135630.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online