• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2017 Blizzard Brahma vs 2017 Rossignol Experience 88 HD

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We are now going to compare two of the more established reference skis from the “Crazy 88s,” as Sierra Jim has described the category.

Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 7.48.00 AM.png

While they have many similarities in flex patterns and stiffness, that is where their likenesses end. These two skis have very different feels and purposes on the snow, they are 70/40 skis depending what you are looking for: the E88 is a wide narrow ski, while the Brahma is a narrow wide ski. Wait, how does 70/40 add up? Keep reading.

The Blizzard Brahma was introduced a few years back right after the Bonafide, and it immediately harnessed that momentum; some consider it a better Bonafide for more people, and indeed it has been one of the best-selling skis on the market. Yes, this is a 70/40 ski, with the 70% being an off-piste bias and the 40% being the ability to carve trenches. Don’t get me wrong, under the feet of an accomplished skier, the Brahma can make deep tracks in the snow, but frankly, such a skier can make tracks with any ski. For the mortals reading this, the Brahma is biased more off piste: in the bumps and mash. Its beautifully sculptured early rise from the Flipcore’s rocker/camber/rocker profile allows it to work mixed conditions like very few skis in the class. For 2017, the addition of carbon at the extremities adds lightness and a bit of dampening, so the ski is even smoother now.

This year's Experience 88 HD also has some carbon in its extremities, resulting in the same, um, experience as the Brahma but, because it is happier on firm conditions, with less nervousness. Yes, the 70/40 of the Rossi shows on the groomers: all you have to do is look at its shape to recognize that it likes to be on edge and doing something. From the snub-nose tip to the balanced flex to its wide flared tail, the E88 HD has one purpose: making precise 18m railroad tracks. Again, can it be skied off piste? Sure, but what makes the Rossi so good on the groomers, that snub tip and flared tail, limits its versatility when off piste.
  • Why choose the Brahma? No Brahma drama here (I was not going to write this without not fitting that in somewhere). It could be the one-ski quiver for someone who is happy with an 88 and wants to explore the whole mountain.
  • Why choose the E88 HD? You are a groomer zoomer who doesn’t want a bit of crud ending your day. Think of an SUV with a sport suspension.
  • Other skis in the class: Armada Invictus 89Ti, Dynastar PowerTrack 89, Salomon X-Drive 8.8 FS, Völkl Kendo.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How is the new E88 HD different from the older version w/o HD......... I have the Grn/Blk version....... from two yrs ago?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How is the new E88 HD different from the older version w/o HD......... I have the Grn/Blk version....... from two yrs ago?
It ia a little more solid at speed and a better connection to the snow.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Okay....... makes sense as my current E88's have a DEFINITIVE top end. Pass that and it's hold on for your life...........but wow they Love to carve a turn, anywhere, anytime and on a dime......... a nice carving tool for when I'm in that mood.

TimF

Putting on skis
Skier
How bout' an update or new cage match. I'm looking for a more groomer focused 80's width ski for small hill telemark skiing with NTN setup. I've got a Fischer race SL already but just want a longer radius ski to open it up. Most of the 16-17m radius carving skis come with system bindings so don't work well. Fischer Pro Mtn 86 ti vs Rossi Exp 88 HD??
Thanks.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How bout' an update or new cage match. I'm looking for a more groomer focused 80's width ski for small hill telemark skiing with NTN setup. I've got a Fischer race SL already but just want a longer radius ski to open it up. Most of the 16-17m radius carving skis come with system bindings so don't work well. Fischer Pro Mtn 86 ti vs Rossi Exp 88 HD??
Thanks.
We will be having a whole series of cage matches coming soon.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Found a pair of last years? E88s at shop near our SLT cabin. Will have to confirm if HD. Guy said he'd give me $100 off $349.99 price on them or any other demos. Other interesting pair was Black Crowes.

I'm more looking for my son although with the (heavy-ugh) Rossigol/Look demo bindings I could take them out if get a day when everything is packed down and he is not using them and I have them. He is skiing Volkyl 724s demos that we're given to me that I thought I'd worn out. He is strong and young enough that he was cranking turns in trees in powder off Sky chair last year, but I know he'd benefit from an upgrade. Since he's more a weekend warrior, he does not get as much pow as me.

Maybe the purchase will depend on if they can replace storage wax with wax for today by 8-830 while I run a couple of errands before heading to Kirkwood on my way home. I know the 100s would make a better OSQ, but they'd be over 2x the cost.

E221b

New Yorker Dreaming of the Mountains
Skier
Can anyone speak to this comparison with the 2018 models of the same skis? I’m trying to decide between the two. For reference sake, I currently ski the old version of the E88 (173cm) and I just got the Enforcer 100 for my out West ski. Or maybe the Nordica Enforcer 93 or the Navigator 90? Any advice? (I’m thinking about sizing up to appx 180cm for this purchase.)

Oh, I’m 5’-11”, 178 lbs. I like to ski aggressively and prefer on-piste to off, but I’m also looking to keep improving and ski all of the mountain!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Can anyone speak to this comparison with the 2018 models of the same skis? I’m trying to decide between the two. For reference sake, I currently ski the old version of the E88 (173cm) and I just got the Enforcer 100 for my out West ski. Or maybe the Nordica Enforcer 93 or the Navigator 90? Any advice? (I’m thinking about sizing up to appx 180cm for this purchase.)

Oh, I’m 5’-11”, 178 lbs. I like to ski aggressively and prefer on-piste to off, but I’m also looking to keep improving and ski all of the mountain!
So, you are looking for a complement for your Enforcer 100? Well, the newer E88 is evolution from what you have now and a good complement if you want a groomer biased ski in this range. The new Brahma has even more hard snow performance than the older one with it's new tip, shape and flex and a good way to go. Between the two, if you are more on the groomers, go with the Rossi, if you venture into the woods and bumps..the Bonafide. Others in the class...

Charger---Monster 88, Kastle MX89

Mix: Armada Invictus 89, DPS Foundation Cassiar 87, Dynastar Legend X88, Nordica Nav90

With having the Enforcer 100, I wouldn't go anything over 90...in fact, there are some great skis in the low to mid 80's that are great options too.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I have salomon XDR 84 coming that may fit the bill. Once I ski them I'll report

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
We are now going to compare two of the more established reference skis from the “Crazy 88s,” as Sierra Jim has described the category.

While they have many similarities in flex patterns and stiffness, that is where their likenesses end. These two skis have very different feels and purposes on the snow, they are 70/40 skis depending what you are looking for: the E88 is a wide narrow ski, while the Brahma is a narrow wide ski. Wait, how does 70/40 add up? Keep reading.

The Blizzard Brahma was introduced a few years back right after the Bonafide, and it immediately harnessed that momentum; some consider it a better Bonafide for more people, and indeed it has been one of the best-selling skis on the market. Yes, this is a 70/40 ski, with the 70% being an off-piste bias and the 40% being the ability to carve trenches. Don’t get me wrong, under the feet of an accomplished skier, the Brahma can make deep tracks in the snow, but frankly, such a skier can make tracks with any ski. For the mortals reading this, the Brahma is biased more off piste: in the bumps and mash. Its beautifully sculptured early rise from the Flipcore’s rocker/camber/rocker profile allows it to work mixed conditions like very few skis in the class. For 2017, the addition of carbon at the extremities adds lightness and a bit of dampening, so the ski is even smoother now.

This year's Experience 88 HD also has some carbon in its extremities, resulting in the same, um, experience as the Brahma but, because it is happier on firm conditions, with less nervousness. Yes, the 70/40 of the Rossi shows on the groomers: all you have to do is look at its shape to recognize that it likes to be on edge and doing something. From the snub-nose tip to the balanced flex to its wide flared tail, the E88 HD has one purpose: making precise 18m railroad tracks. Again, can it be skied off piste? Sure, but what makes the Rossi so good on the groomers, that snub tip and flared tail, limits its versatility when off piste.
  • Why choose the Brahma? No Brahma drama here (I was not going to write this without not fitting that in somewhere). It could be the one-ski quiver for someone who is happy with an 88 and wants to explore the whole mountain.
  • Why choose the E88 HD? You are a groomer zoomer who doesn’t want a bit of crud ending your day. Think of an SUV with a sport suspension.
  • Other skis in the class: Armada Invictus 89Ti, Dynastar PowerTrack 89, Salomon X-Drive 8.8 FS, Völkl Kendo.
I really like my first generation Brahmas.

Sponsor