• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2017 Boots: What Are Your Questions?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Boots are not as cut and dry as ski and bindings. We very well will still say you have to see a fitter without seeing your foot. But we still might be able to discern differences between model to model annd flex to flex. I will start by saying, there is not such thing any more as a "Lange (or whatever brand you plug in here) Foot", every manufacturer offers a multitude of shape boots for a multitude of feet. You can put four Nordica boots on that will fit four different ways.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Boots are not as cut and dry as ski and bindings. We very well will still say you have to see a fitter without seeing your foot. But we still might be able to discern differences between model to model annd flex to flex. I will start by saying, there is not such thing any more as a "Lange (or whatever brand you plug in here) Foot", every manufacturer offers a multitude of shape boots for a multitude of feet. You can put four Nordica boots on that will fit four different ways.
Questions . . . so, who, other than Fischer and Salomon have heat moldable boots?

I REALLY like this (I know others have had less favorable experiences). I am in Fischer Progressor 13s (2015) right now. I like them. But I used to have a pair of Salomon Quest 110 (I think it was called that--their first gen heat moldable).

All in all the Fischer is a better boot, but the Salomon was a better fit. I've tried on the newer X-Max 110 and seems like exactly the same fit. This has a lower volume instep that fits my foot*. The Fischer has a higher instep which gives me too much fore/aft movement in my boot. And yes, the heat mold closed that up as much as possible, but still too big. The Fischer is also a bit too stiff. I'd consider going 120 on the Salomon and I think apples to apples the Fischer # is stiffer than same in Salomon. So, the Fischer is very good. But I am interested in the salomon because I know it fits better.

So my question really is, other boots I should consider with very low volume instep, medium last, narrow heel, and heat moldable?

*ridiculously low volume instep, high arch, wide toes, narrow heel, Size 11 (29.5) street shoe. Size 27.5 boot. So I am down 2 sizes from my street shoe, which, with the right fit is PERFECT. Custom footbeds.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Heat moldable boots sound like they would be the answer to all the worlds boot fitting issues, the silver bullet. These boots are an option and there for extreme cases but in reality, the traditional pastics are not going anywhere and are still the choice amongst most fitters. The two brands that you mentioned, Salomon and Fischer are very big in racing (Salomon, not so much in the US but in Europe they are) and they do not use this technology in their race boots. Because there is a cost for heat moldible plastic and that cost is performance. My suggestion is to go into the fitting session with a complete open mind, you might walk out is a CS shell but you also might walk out with a tradiitional plastic. Oh, Atomic has brought over custom shell plastic from Salomon called which they coined Memory Fit.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
I have a question.

What boot fits my feet? I want to buy that one that is recommended on the internet. Can I get a discount on it? It'll work awesome for the 4 days a year I actually ski (albeit 4 actual ski hours per day due to logistics).

Thanks!

--A loyal reader, moving east.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
OK Phil, you have seen me ski, and you have seen my EE feet. What boots should I consider?
I have tried modifying norrow boots, and I have tried working with wide boots, but it's always a compromise.
Any ideas?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have a question.

What boot fits my feet? I want to buy that one that is recommended on the internet. Can I get a discount on it? It'll work awesome for the 4 days a year I actually ski (albeit 4 actual ski hours per day due to logistics).

Thanks!

--A loyal reader, moving east.
The Blue ones.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
OK Phil, you have seen me ski, and you have seen my EE feet. What boots should I consider?
I have tried modifying norrow boots, and I have tried working with wide boots, but it's always a compromise.
Any ideas?
Need to see the feet. But there Are some good high volume boots now. *Blue ones, **Orange ones and even the new ***Red ones. A good place to start but really just guessing at this point.

*Lange RS130Wide
**Tecnica Mach 130HV
***Nordica Speedmachine 130

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Looking for a very narrow last, 92, 93, maybe 94 (yes, plugs probably).
Need very narrow ankle/low ceiling over the instep.
But the toe box needs to be wide.

Is there one? Head? Rossi/Lange?
Or does my bootfitter need to be able to widen the toebox without thinning the plastic too much this time?

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier

Or does my bootfitter need to be able to widen the toebox without thinning the plastic too much this time?
Your feet sound a lot like mine. I realize people like to caution to not expect to much of heat moldable boots, and its a very good point. But let me tell you what I like about them. Both pairs I've owned (I've also tried on others that just weren't right), I stuck my feet in first time and they fit. But not comfortably. I ski two sizes smaller than my street shoes typically. I stuff my feet in. The toes are flat. Nothing is pinching. Nothing goes to sleep. The toenails are not being tweaked. But they're cramped. You know, just not what I would call comfortable or pleasant. Could I ski in them? Yes, I've skied in many boots that fit like this. Many of us have come to accept it as a compromise that is required for control and stability.

But, then what happens when they heat mold is amazing. Suddenly all that sensation of being cramped is gone. There is just comfort. The boot expanded and contracted minute amounts in all the right places. Pure comfort, day one, with no loss of control and stability.It really is all its cracked up to be.

IF.

If you start with a good fit, you can get a great fit. If you start with a great fit, you can get an amazing fit. I don't have experience with starting with a poor or mediocre fit, but I think the biggest hesitation people like us have is there is a lot of unjustified hype out there that these things are the end of boot fitting. You just ask their size, heat mold the boots and make everybody happy. Unh-uh. Nowhere close. I'm not preaching at you @LiquidFeet . Just addressing the issue in general. Heat molding does absolutely nothing to replace the process of getting the right boots on your feet. It just takes you that last little bit to amazing fit. Its not a miracle worker.

I started with a pair of Salomon Quest 110. The initial fit was great. The resulting fit was amazing. Truly amazing. The boot however was too soft and the liner was sh*t. Replacing with a good liner would have helped.

Instead I moved to a Fischer Progressor 13. In some ways this was a mistake, but not a big one. The initial fit was good. The resulting fit was great. But the boot is a little too stiff, and I miss the fit of the Salomon.

The difference between the two for me has been the instep. The Fischer is a higher volume boot than the Salomon. I unreasonably expected that heat molding would be able to solve that too. After all, the touted difference for Fischer was the upper cuff is moldable too, whereas Salomon the lower boot was the only moldable. In hindsight, the upper moldability was useless to me because the Fischer is just a little too voluminous. And the Salomon was just right. That said, where I think the upper moldability would come in handy is for people with thick ankles and calves, and short lower legs where the calf muscle is IN the boot. Neither of these is me.

So, the Fischer is a really good boot and a really good fit, the second best fitting boot I've ever had. Being a perfectionist, I want to try the new Salomon X Max.

If you are used to race plugs, maybe there is nothing out there that is stiff enough for you. Although I will say the Progressor 13 is a damn stiff boot. But that is the point of heat molding to me. IF its the right boot for you, the heat molding will make you love it. If its not the right boot for you, heat molding won't do a damn thing to change that.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

It is easier to add room than it is to take up so start with fitting the heel. You might be starting with a race boot like a Lange/Rossignol ZA or ZAJ, these will have a lace up liner. Head's Raptor 110RS W is a sub 95mm width under 24.5 shell. Again, these are places to start.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

Sounds like you need to try on a Head Raptor B5 to compare to a Langes Phil suggested.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
My question. Head Raptor 140.... Black or white? :)

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My question. Head Raptor 140.... Black or white? :)
140 RS or Speed RS, age old question. White to match your purity or black to match my soul.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
So one black and one white? I'm a complicated man... :)

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So one black and one white? I'm a complicated man... :)

No, you are a simple man with complicated needs. Personally, I am a traditionalist, go with the white.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
@LiquidFeet you may want to have your skiing analyzed by a pro bootfitter utilizong video.

I really wanted a Head boot, but based on mobility, stance, and skiing video analysis, it was determined that the Lange was the proper boot for me.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
No, you are a simple man with complicated needs. Personally, I am a traditionalist, go with the white.

Actually my ski needs are few... a good boot well fit boot, a well tuned ski, a hill, some friends, some, food, and a beer at the end of the day. :)

chemist

Falling off the lift.
Skier

I have a high instep and I've tried on both the Head and Lange plugs. They're both narrow, but the Lange Z-series has a high instep (for a plug). The Head B-series has a low instep. Can't exactly recall how they compare in width.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Thanks, Chemist.

Lange and Rossi also have that rivet right above the toes in the toe box.
What's with that? Is that rivet (a problem for me last year) in only the Langes and Rossis?

Sponsor

Staff online