• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2017 DPS Cassiar Foundation 95 vs 2017 K2 Pinnacle 95

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It ain’t easy being green.

Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 7.09.45 AM.png

Ever notice that different width segments of skis have color trends? Blue for 80-84mm, orange for 88mm, red for 98-100mm, and so on. Okay, not all skis are those colors, but you get the idea. In the 95mm range, green seems to prevail. Not sure why, maybe because they are trying to define the segment and it is not ripe yet, maybe because they are so new, so fresh.... Whatever the reason, it is a segment that is moving to the forefront with some very good skis.

DPS’s new Foundation collection brings an affordable price point to a boutique brand. Visually, the entire collection is stunningly simple, from the beautiful gradient graphics to the textured topskin with the slight bevel. And it isn't just a pretty face: on snow they have the lightness and playfulness that you can only get from a DPS. DPS brought the Cassiar design philosophy to the new 95 Foundation. The 95 worked well in almost every condition I skied it, from snow as firm as I would expect a 95mm to be able to hold an edge to crud and shin-deep Colorado powder. I will say that 11/10th skier could overpower it, but normal-sized skiers will have a ball.

The Pinnacle collection is a departure for K2. Whereas the Annex series that it replaced was warmed-over designs from previous generations, the new Pinnacle 93 was as fresh as anything we have seen from K2 in over a decade, maybe since the turn of the century. The elongated tip design, moderately balanced flex, upper-mid-teens turn radius, the bit of rise out of the tail -- all these things make the P95 uber playful. The tip may be a bit flappy at speed, but the ski will still hold nicely on the hard pack.
  • Why choose the Cassiar 95 Foundation? This not a “me too” ski; for someone who wants to be an individual, chances are they will be the only pair on the mountain on any given day. That gives you the license to grin, Yeah I know something you don’t. It's a boutique ski but not with a price tag that has a comma in it.
  • Why choose the Pinnacle 95? The K2 is for who likes tequila and understands why you drink it. The Pinnacle 95 just wants to have fun. Get it in the bumps, it will pivot, it loves playing in the trees -- but if you still want a high edge on the groomers back to the lifts, not a problem. It will do it all with a smile on its face. Oh, you want to err on the longer of two sizes if you fall in between.
  • Other skis in the class: Atomic Vantage 95 C, Dynastar Cham 2.0 97, Kästle FX 95, Line Sick Day 95, Salomon QST 92.

Sponsor

Staff online