• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2017 Head Monster 88 vs 2017 Stöckli Stormrider 88

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Red or blue? tough choice :drool:
Thanks Phil, always great advice! :hail:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Okay, so I've skied my new Monster88s one day. Decent snow, but WROD filled with shit show. So not exactly the best assessment. But my first impression is that there is an awful lot of tail there. Thinking of moving (Aaatack 13 demo) back a cm. Will let you know what I think, but interested in any thoughts in this regard.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just picked up a pair of Monster 88s, liked the description of them from everyone here. any thoughts on mount point?
There are some different thoughts posted about the mount point. Most go with suggested mount point, recently someone said they liked it back. See SkiBob's post above. :huh:

pdiddy

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
thanks for ALL the comments. :)

read somewhere that for the 2016-2017 models, head moved the "line" +1 cm from the 2015-16 models?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@pdiddy that may be why Bob feels like its too far forward??

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
@pdiddy that may be why Bob feels like its too far forward??
Yeah, I am not sure if I will use them Sunday or not. But if I do, I will move them back a cm. BTW, my original comment may have been vague. I mean that I felt that the tails washed out a little bit. I tend toward forward stance, and I am big enough to engage the tip on almost (almost) any ski made. And it was mostly "dodge the noobs" mode on Wed when I was on them.

If I don't take them sunday, it will be a week or two. But I'll be sure to update.

Vince Faro

Skier
Sorry to hijack, Phil, I bought last years SR 88's , I prefer the topsheet from last year . I'm looking for bindings . I have skied Marker Griffon's on all of the demos I used to decide which ski I wanted to buy, I guess they are fine, I don't care for the large release on the back. I am 6' 2" 187 , experienced skier mostly on piste with Salomon CS120 boots in orange and white (yuck). What do you recommend?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry to hijack, Phil, I bought last years SR 88's , I prefer the topsheet from last year . I'm looking for bindings . I have skied Marker Griffon's on all of the demos I used to decide which ski I wanted to buy, I guess they are fine, I don't care for the large release on the back. I am 6' 2" 187 , experienced skier mostly on piste with Salomon CS120 boots in orange and white (yuck). What do you recommend?
A couple of choices. Look Pivot 12/14 for a short mount distance and responsive. Tyrolia Attack 13, a fan favorite here. Salomon Sth213 is also a great option. Can't go wrong with any of these three.

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A couple of choices. Look Pivot 12/14 for a short mount distance and responsive. Tyrolia Attack 13, a fan favorite here. Salomon Sth213 is also a great option. Can't go wrong with any of these three.

Would gave a +1 on the Look Pivots. Nice binding. Just had them mounted on the Renoun Z90.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I mean that I felt that the tails washed out a little bit. I tend toward forward stance, and I am big enough to engage the tip on almost (almost) any ski made. And it was mostly "dodge the noobs" mode on Wed when I was on them.

Not seeing an update - but check the tune. I am also not slight and also quite quite forward - never had tail washout on that ski.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Not seeing an update - but check the tune. I am also not slight and also quite quite forward - never had tail washout on that ski.
LOL, I was just thinking about this. You've heard about the winter we've had? They actually would have been good today but went for the safe choice (Motive 95). But truth is, I haven't been back out on them again! I will. Maybe next weekend.

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
What are the primary differences between the 2016 and 2017 models of the Stormrider 88?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

The long tuning saga of my 16-17 M-88... Skied it out if the wrapper. They were flat, the structure appeared to be fine, tossed on some wax as I needed them for work, and off we went. All was pretty good, but not as good as I recalled from the ones I's spent time on last spring... setup was the same, skied at +1. (184, 6', 200#). Took them for a tune at a well reputed shop near the hill as I didn't have time to take them to the usual tune guy. It was ok, but still wasn't feeling the love. They felt kind of clunky, mushy, and weren't holding well on firm snow. Thankfully I knew this wasn't the ski. Put them in the closet until I could get them to the regular tune man. He did a new base grind and a .75/2 edge bevel. Skied them yesterday in deep, cut up crud that later became bumps of many varieties with the occasional return to the old hard layer underneath on wind scoured steep pitches here and there. Making a short story long, things are back to normal. And to second Cantunamunch, even mounted a bit forward, I've never had an issue with the tails washing out before, during, or after sorting out the tune.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What are the primary differences between the 2016 and 2017 models of the Stormrider 88?
Between 2016 and 2017 the differnce is the core, they went to a lighter bamboo core that created a more nimble feel. The 2017 design in carrying over to 2018.

Tom Chew

Skier
Mounting point IS important and can greatly change a skis performance. I wish that there were better bindings that could be moved forward or aft. I discovered this because I have some Volants on which I had Salomon rental bindings mounted because that's what I had sitting around when I was a poor student. 1 cm of movement will affect how a ski performs.
That being said, Head had determined that the binding position they've recommended for Monster skis in the past should be adjusted to 1 cm forward of the COB line.
I just bought Monster 98s and had bindings mounted this way. This weekend was my first opportunity to test them but we heard about the mudslides before we left for Tahoe. So no valid review. Yet.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mounting point IS important and can greatly change a skis performance. I wish that there were better bindings that could be moved forward or aft. I discovered this because I have some Volants on which I had Salomon rental bindings mounted because that's what I had sitting around when I was a poor student. 1 cm of movement will affect how a ski performs.
That being said, Head had determined that the binding position they've recommended for Monster skis in the past should be adjusted to 1 cm forward of the COB line.
I just bought Monster 98s and had bindings mounted this way. This weekend was my first opportunity to test them but we heard about the mudslides before we left for Tahoe. So no valid review. Yet.
The Tyrolia Attack 13 Demo and the Salomon Warden Demo are two of the best adjustable bindings.

Vince Faro

Skier
ThanksPhil I went with the Tyrolia's . I Had them mounted last week and skied for a couple of days in Mammoth . They work great . Easy to get into, I like them a lot, And of course the SR88's are just great for me. I love them. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Last edited:

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I have a pair of 2015 186cm SR88's on the way and I'm reading that several of you/us have experimented with demo or adjustable bindings on these and I've read on the line, -1, +4...in short, all over the place. Is there a consensus on mounting points? I'm most tempted to go with the recommended line but thought I'd see what you all think before I commit to drilling.

In case it helps:

Me: 5'11", 165-170lbs, mid 50's. Better skier than most but not nearly as good as a lot on the hills I ski. Boots are Lange plug ZA flex.

My current quiver is really two skis I use 50+% of the time plus some others just to mix it up:

Atomic FIS SL 165cm.12.5M (go to ski on groomer/hard snow days) I like these on the line or +/- 1cm for really icy or really soft
DPS 112RP Pure 184cm/18M? (go to ski on soft snow days) I have these on the line.

Old Dynastar GS 184cm/21.5M radius-- I have these on the line.
Volkl FIS GS 188cm/30M -- I like these +1
Atomic SG 201/33M--I like these on the line
Stockli Stormrider Pro 178cm/23M --I have these on the line and they feel right
Dynastar Legend Pro XXL 187CM/37M--I have these on the line and they feel right
Moment Belafonte 187cm/27.4M --I have these on the line and they feel like they are too far forward until I adjust.
I also tried some DPS 124's on a cat trip, they were on the line but felt too far forward to me (maybe I'm too old school for new-school skis?)

I hope to fit these in as an easy ski for cruising with friends who want to explore all over the mountain on non-powder days. I usually would go with the SL, 21.5M GS or the Stormrider Pro's on these days but I invariably get dragged into the tight trees in wonky snow where all of these skis can be a lot of work and have me longing for my 112's. I just don't like them on chattery/icy slopes.