• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review 2017 K2 Pinnacle 88

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Pinnacle 88 was one of a few skis that we were able to get in multiple sizes, 177 and 184. It is the 2017 addition to the Pinnacle series, which already included the 95, 105, and 118 (which is based on the old Seth series). The shape of the 88 is very similar to the 95 and 105, but the contact length is longer, giving the 88 a bit more hard-snow performance without losing the playfulness that people love about this year's Pinnacles. The 88 also boasts a bit different construction, in that K2 uses a fur-Nanolite core versus the aspen-Nanolite of its bigger brothers, giving the ski a damper feel for hard-snow performance. All the skis use a metal laminate.

img_9365-jpg.8953

• Who is it for? East Coast one-ski quiver for someone who likes trees, bumps, and mixed conditions.
  • Who is it not for? Full-on chargers -- these want to play.
  • Insider tip: You don’t need to size up, these ski truer to length than the 95 or 105.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The 88 is my favorite Pinnacle. By a mile. I spent the better part of a day on the Pinnacle 88 at Loveland in late April. The semi-firm groomers were nice and gave me a good idea of the ski's plentiful energy. But where the ski came alive was off The Ridge in refilled boot deep powder. The tip stayed above the snow and the ski was silly fun carving the soft, creamy goodness. This ski's playfulness was apparent in the pow-pow and continued into the chopped up soft crud. I also liked the ski in the few moguls I took it in. Hard snow conditions are a question mark for me as I didn't get a chance to ski in those conditions. K2 is on the right path with this ski.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Loved this ski. Thought it was super playful but decently solid for up to moderate input. A great ski for the skier not wanting a full-on, more demanding 88 ski like a head or Kastle.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From DH:
Recently skied A Basin as a season ending, fun weekend with my ski buddy who luckily happens to be my wife. She introduced me to Phil. When Phil saw my K2 Pinnacles 105s he suggested I try the K2 88s, promising they'd be better on the not-yet-soft morning, spring snow, yet still provide the amazing agility and smoothness I enjoy with the 105s. I'm a 72 year old experienced skier who still does bumps and trees but enjoy groomers as well, Clearly the stability of the 88s and their ability to attain higher speeds gave me the confidence on the early morning steeps. I can't choose which is better between the two so next year I may be buying the 88s for those hard pack days. Thanks, Phil.

Sponsor