Cage Match Comparison 2017 Masters and Beer League GS Skis

TS
ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Bump to ask whether this still applies with recent models: are the Blizzard WRC and Nordica GSM (both with piston) similar, and are they both at the high end of race performance for skis with radius around 20m?
Yes, still very similar and at the higher end performance wise. Also now there is the Augment GS pro which is another quantum leap ahead and closer to a real GS ski than any of the others in this category but also at a premium price

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Looking forward to trying these Augment World Cup Pro Masters GS skis that recently fell into my lap!

Augment.jpg

Don'tfit

Putting on skis
Skier
The current Nordica GSM at 20.5meters is at 185cm in length. I skied it a couple of times last season and it is a lot of lumber. Best to know the tendencies of the sets where you are going to use it. That can be a big 20m if you're hanging out waiting for feedback from that ski.

slow-line-fast

Putting on skis
Skier
The current Nordica GSM at 20.5meters is at 185cm in length. I skied it a couple of times last season and it is a lot of lumber. Best to know the tendencies of the sets where you are going to use it. That can be a big 20m if you're hanging out waiting for feedback from that ski.
Anyone have a comparison with this or similar (WRC etc) skis with long U16 GS skis of similar length (around 25-27m radius)?

Lorenzzo

Still Waiting on Pow
Skier
Well…the Atomic FIS slaloms seem to be really scarce in fact right now I can’t find any. Any suggestions as to what might be similar, particularly in terms of engagement?

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor

JTurner

Always tryin' to get better
Skier
Anyone have a comparison with this or similar (WRC etc) skis with long U16 GS skis of similar length (around 25-27m radius)?
Well, not specifically that ski, but every 18-23 meter GS cheater ski I’ve tried has basically automatically initiated a turn when rolled up on edge. In comparison, the 182/25m head RD ski just wants to go straight even when tipped up a fair bit. It actually completes turns almost as easily because it isn’t super stiff longitudinally, but you have to initiate the turns correctly. That’s the primary thing I think most people just trying them would notice.

Beyond that the other big difference is the straighter and narrower ski is smoother and more stable in rutted courses.
Generally free skiing this makes the cheaters more fun, but they’re not as fast in courses.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
"Beyond that the other big difference is the straighter and narrower ski is smoother and more stable in rutted courses. Generally free skiing this makes the cheaters more fun, but they’re not as fast in courses."

What a great comment! The 18-21m or so radius (often 67-70mm wide) recreational, sport-carver, "cheater" pseudo-GS skis I've tried respond exactly as you describe--lots of fun free-skiing, easy to turn, but not as fast, stable, or capable in the race course as the 25-30m radius 65mm wide real GS skis. Some of the 21-23m "GS" skis sort of bridge the gap between these two extremes.