• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2017 Masters and Beer League GS Skis

TS
ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you know a shop that has access to flex tested/marked race skis? Nothing too special, just a bit above no markings.
You could pick a somewhat stiffer version of whatever. Could be a few years old.
go get yourself an Augment WC GS 188/30 in a 4 flex. Problem solved

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yes sevral good raceplaces here locally where I can choose stiffness , even have a 12'oclock date to look at some skis at one of them (and pickup boots after some work)

new skis in stock here in 188/30 FIS spec (womens?) I can get head, atomic and volkl

@ScotsSkier I just felt rather old, because I remember buying thoose "not that long ago" ;)

on 2n'd hand market there are mostly 19/20, and some 20/21 head skis with 188/30 avail, bot browsing through local race stuff

TS
ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
yes sevral good raceplaces here locally where I can choose stiffness , even have a 12'oclock date to look at some skis at one of them (and pickup boots after some work)

new skis in stock here in 188/30 FIS spec (womens?) I can get head, atomic and volkl

@ScotsSkier I just felt rather old, because I remember buying thoose "not that long ago" ;)

on 2n'd hand market there are mostly 19/20, and some 20/21 head skis with 188/30 avail, bot browsing through local race stuff

look at it this way, getting old beats the alternative :ogbiggrin:

I would point you towards the Atomic (medium flex) or the Volkl. The Head IMHO always feels a bit dead. @DocGKR can give some guidance on that, i think he had a similar view and he is closer to your size

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All 188/30 are womens specific FIS ski right now? correct?

I found this golden oldie hiding in the deepest corner of my downstairs ski storage. I remember I used this everywhere.

View attachment 155875
View attachment 155876
Not sure about this year, but 188/30s are also approved for transitional men skiers, such as U18 and U16.

There are also male GS racers that would have liked a switch to men's specs similar or closer to these, as the 193 men's has caused lower back injuries for some of them, with its greater rebound force.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Not sure about this year, but 188/30s are also approved for transitional men skiers, such as U18 and U16.

There are also male GS racers that would have liked a switch to men's specs similar or closer to these, as the 193 men's has caused lower back injuries for some of them, with its greater rebound force.

See section 1.1.2.

188/30 is the standard for men below continental cup. That's a lot of great skiers.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I had the opportunity to try a Blossom Numero Uno GS 183/20m (114-69-99) today. This is a recreational “GS” sport carver (not a true race ski) that is quick and fun to free ski and is perhaps suitable for NASTAR, but is not applicable for Masters GS racing. For a ski of this type, it was surprisingly nice in moguls, and offered a reasonable edge hold on firm groomers, but did not grip well on a dense race surface compared to FIS skis. In contrast to a few other GS style sport carvers I've recently used, the Blossom Numero Uno GS was not as powerful as a Nordica GSR RB or Head Rebel e.Speed Pro, nor as smooth as an Augment GS World Cup Pro or Stockli Laser GS. The Blossom had neither as much rebound energy, nor as high a speed limit as these other sport carvers.

IMG_9192.JPG

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@ScotsSkier

188/30 2020 atomic popped up locally, 38-32 flex, medium stiff. yay or nay?

Head RD GS Pro Master 189/27 is what I am on.
If I can ski and feel good on these, there is no doubt you could do that too.
Perhaps the longer version of these-191 methinks.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I bought an atomic 183/23 of the new revoshock master ski but still racestock which is surprisingly for me, stiff enough! considering the plunge to 190/27 or 188/30 later, condtions has been kinda rough her for trainings though, not as much ice, as polished ice that gets "steel floor" feeling :eek: SL hill has been great to us though! so more focus there lately. having a 23-27 not 30 ski definetly has been the key to be able to get through gates without throwing ski sideways

189/27 is an older ski? links?

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
The Head RD GS Pro Master 189/27m has a 68mm wide waist. After experimenting with 67-71mm wide "Masters" GS skis, many Masters racers around here have ditched these wider skis and gone back to 65mm waist GS skis which have generally proven more effective for most folks.

For Masters racing, I use both 185/27m and 188/30m GS skis--finding both useful depending on course set, snow conditions, my fitness level, and amount of training I've gotten.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
which skis are 185/27? junior/masters?

Rossi Hero Athlete GS

Boolini

Booting up
Skier
I would be wary of the Atomic Masters skis, they are a little wider in the waist than the FIS skis and as a result a bit slower edge to edge. Most of my athletes that were using it switched back to the U16 FIS 186/26 ski (tweener) instead. However i suspect the tweener might be a little light at your weight. It would be worth trying the G9 FIS W in 188/30 if you have the opportunity, a bit more suited for Masters than the 193/30 FIS M
Hi Scott........I'm an ex racer who likes to free ski now on groomers. Which do you recommend between the Atomic FIS U16 G9, the 180 w 24 m radius or the 187 w 26 m radius? Is the junior FIS ski fun to free ski on? I'm 5' 9" and 150 lbs. Thanks for your input.

TS
ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi Scott........I'm an ex racer who likes to free ski now on groomers. Which do you recommend between the Atomic FIS U16 G9, the 180 w 24 m radius or the 187 w 26 m radius? Is the junior FIS ski fun to free ski on? I'm 5' 9" and 150 lbs. Thanks for your input.
@Boolini
you are right on the cusp between these two. It really comes down to what sort of mountains you are skiing, large or small. If you want it to be slightly more manageable rather than being primarily gs focused and/or you ski smaller hills think about the 180

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What’s the most FIS-like construction cheater gs ski? I note that you can get the Nordica/Blizzard with the piston plate, which would seem to be a significant advantage over cheaters with “system” bindings. I ask because currently my only use for a gs ski is beer league/NASTAR on 300’ Minnesota hills, if I was on bigger courses I’d get something FIS, but for me I suspect something closer to 20m vs 30m would be better.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
What’s the most FIS-like construction cheater gs ski? I note that you can get the Nordica/Blizzard with the piston plate, which would seem to be a significant advantage over cheaters with “system” bindings. I ask because currently my only use for a gs ski is beer league/NASTAR on 300’ Minnesota hills, if I was on bigger courses I’d get something FIS, but for me I suspect something closer to 20m vs 30m would be better.

Head eSpeed Pro. 18m @ 180cm. Strong ski.