• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2017 Stöckli Laser AX vs 2017 Stöckli Laser SX

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Couple of runs today again on the AX ski.

Let me add a little thought to this test--if I were to teach skiing and work on my skis every day in every condition, the AX would be my ski. Does absolutely every type of turn and is just "easy". I would recommend this as the ski in the laser line for 99 percent of the skiing public.

The only failure I noticed is that I felt like it didn't have much energy when I really drove it as hard as I could.

Now, the sx in comparison?

Has very little on the low end, but no lack of snap and energy on the high end.
More surgical, more slice and dice.

AX is a chef's knife, SX is a surgeons tool.

AX is a BMW M5, SX is a Porsche 911 Turbo (SX FIS is a 911 Gt3 RS)

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I really WANT the AX!

...starting to get some Christmas money, hmmm

I am 6'3" and 220 lbs -- what would be the ideal length for me? 183?

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Looking to demo the AX but nope can't find. Read lots of get things about then. Too expensive to buy without a demo. Looking for the 167cm. Someone will have to sell a pair sometime right.

gozoogle

Booting up
Skier
Yesterday was demo day at Windham (single digit temp, hardpack conditions) and I got to try every model in the Laser line (3-4 runs each). I was pushing to go as fast as I could around the tourists, I would guess between 40 and 50 mph, mixing SL and GS turns. Best skis I've ever been on, which makes me really want to try the Renouns if they're supposed to be better.

What I found curious after yesterday is that no one talks about the CX. The SL (tons of energy and snap, more than my Fischer RC4 WC SC but smoother at the same time) and the SX (felt like I was skiing on mercury) were my favorites until I got to the CX as my last pair. Very similar to the SX and felt a tad quicker. They're narrower waist (68 vs 70), wider tip (122 vs 120), resulting in 14.1 vs 15.4 turn radius at 170.

There are literally no reviews/articles anywhere talking about the CX, it's all SX and AX. Can't understand why... I feel like it's a great East Coast piste ski and I'm thinking about getting it over the SX. From the website, it doesn't seem like there is any difference in the construction, just the dimensions.

My ideal non-racing East Coast quiver at this point:

CX over the SX

Renoun Z-90 over the Endurance 98 (based on reviews, can't wait to try next season)

park twin tip (currently Fischer Nightstick but just got a Faction Candide 1.0 that I need to mount)

Last edited:

gozoogle

Booting up
Skier
I am pretty sure the current SC and CX are the same skis, but with different width. The SX is stiffer for sure.

The reps there told me SC had metal and was closer to the SL, whereas CX has no metal but does have the turtle shell and is similar to the SX. I think it's confusing and they have too much overlap, could probably do with just 4 Lasers: SL, GS, CX or SX, AX.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
FWIW- I mounted mine +5mm and put a Fischer (tyrolia) RX Z13 with the "standard" plate and then shimmed the toe by 4mm. That puts me about 21mm up and only 3mm on ramp. I absolutely love this setup. I am very happy with the freeflex and the extra height just makes the AX even more responsive edge-to-edge.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ That is really tempting. Maybe I should have a back-up to last year's model. But then which would be the back-up?

Hey look...an AX vertical.

IMG_1928.JPG

Reactions: Ron

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
PFFF, Scott @dawgcatching has a couple pairs of 175's with Aattacks used for literally less than 2 hours each pair for $950!

Almost tempted myself TBH, except the shipping to Australia will add about $300. Then the exchange rate makes it nearly $1700 AUD. There's a shop here that has a pair of 175's advertised at $1100 AUD. Not sure if that's flat or with binding. Only problem is the shop is closed until April 21. Presumably the owner is ripping it up somewhere in the northern hemisphere. :daffy: Patience, grasshopper!

Reactions: Ron

Sponsor

Staff online