• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2017 Stöckli Laser AX vs 2017 Stöckli Laser SX

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What separates these two premium brothers? Purpose.

Laser AX vs SX.png

Stöckli has earned its storied history of producing some of the finest skis on the market, and the Laser collection could be considered the face of that reputation. What can you expect when you consider or compare and contrast the AX and SX? Well, even though they both come from the same collection, they are two very different skis.

Alphabetically, we will start with the AX. What makes the ski unique is how accommodating it is: it's just as comfortable at 10 mph as it is at 40. It doesn't matter what you ask of it; like Wesley from "The Princess Bride," it simply replies, "As you wish." The AX is a ski whose power window is obtainable by almost any skier.

Now, really the only things the AX and SX share are the name "Laser" and a ... subtle ... color palette. The SX needs to be driven. To quote Chris Ryman, ex-PSIA demo team member, “This is the best %$*ing ski I have ever been on” -- and that was just 30 feet from getting off the lift, before he even took a run on the skis. That's how good this ski is. Where anyone can get on the AX and ski it, the SX requires a skilled pilot.
  • Why choose the AX? You appreciate quality and are willing to pay for it. The AX is not inexpensive but very well worth the price, a ski that everyone could own.
  • Why choose the SX? Because you are a good skier looking for an instrument, not just a tool. This is a true luxury high-end ski with few performance equals.
  • Other skis in the class: Kästle MX74, Renoun Z-77, Blossom White Out.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Damn you @Philpug. Damn. You.

By the way, have I told you how little I like skiing the nordicas with the new boots and some of the suckier members of my family?

So unfun.

So, question, with a plate on those 175 AX's you have in the shop, will I be able to ski slow and slarve AND still be able to get the same radical performance I get out of the current nordicas?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They sold today. We are out.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Damn you @Philpug. Damn. You.

By the way, have I told you how little I like skiing the nordicas with the new boots and some of the suckier members of my family?

So unfun.

So, question, with a plate on those 175 AX's you have in the shop, will I be able to ski slow and slarve AND still be able to get the same radical performance I get out of the current nordicas?
I wouldn't plate the AX, I would ski it flat. If you must plate something, I would suggest the SX, maybe with some Head plates and a Freeflex binding.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think the real cage match we'd like to see is the AX vs the Z77
It can be arranged, but a good siblling rivalry is always appreciated.

stockli-jpg.15771

TaosN

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Not sure if this is the right place to ask the question, but can the AX be used off the groomers (moguls, crud, steeps, etc.)? Stockli refers to it internally as an "all mountain" ski but still carries it under their racing line.

Also I'm assuming the only change from the 2016-2017 was cosmetic?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not sure if this is the right place to ask the question, but can the AX be used off the groomers (moguls, crud, steeps, etc.)? Stockli refers to it internally as an "all mountain" ski but still carries it under their racing line.

Absolutely, you can take the AX almost anywhere . Past NGT (New Graphic Technology) they went with a more durable "Turtleskin" topsheet.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I hope so because that's how I use it. I hope I'm not doing anything wrong. :) The tip and tail are more accommodating off-piste than a typical race ski but you can also carve it up.

Last edited:

Bobalooski

Getting off the lift
Inactive

LOOOVE my AXs everywhere. Great ski!! :thumb:

TaosN

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Absolutely, you can take the AX almost anywhere . Past NGT (New Graphic Technology) they went with a more durable "Turtleskin" topsheet.

Okay awesome, I was reading reviews that seemed to have changed their tune from last year and talked about a new amount of "forgiveness" and was worried that Stockli had gone soft all of a sudden. :)

nikonfme

Booting up
Skier
Okay awesome, I was reading reviews that seemed to have changed their tune from last year and talked about a new amount of "forgiveness" and was worried that Stockli had gone soft all of a sudden. :)

I have read that the 2016/2017 AX is now using the Turtle Shell technology which is supposed to stiffen the ski the more you bend it and it softens up as you release it making it a versatile ski at a wide range of speeds. I don't know if this is marketing hype or there really is a change for this year. I have the 2015/2016 model and could not be happier with this ski.

nikonfme

Booting up
Skier
I wouldn't plate the AX, I would ski it flat. If you must plate something, I would suggest the SX, maybe with some Head plates and a Freeflex binding.
The guy that tunes my skis tried to talk me into mounting a plate as I was retiring an older pair of race skis for the AX's. I'm glad I didn't. This ski is extremely versatile and is also a very good performer in bumps and crud. Wondering if a plate would have inhibited some of that performance.

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider

The AX is the perfect narrower everyday ski. Ask SSH; he instructs 40-50 days a year and I think he did every single day on the AX.

The 2017 is even better. I skied the 2015 and 2016 (previous generation) and it was a great ski, but lacking a bit of bite at the tip and top of the turn. The new AX feels more muscular as you engage the tip, hooks up like a real carver. The turtleshell is designed to flex along the longitude of the ski, but when tipped onto edge, it stiffens and results in a more precise engagement. Not dis-similar to what Elan was trying to do with the "cardboard" profiled topsheet. It does seem to add some heft to the ski when pushed hard: it really feels close to the equal on hard snow to the CX, SC, and GS now.

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier

How do you feel about the Attack 13 Demo on the '15-'16 Laser AX? If the choice were that or a bit older PRD12, which would you choose?

Sponsor