• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadPatSki

Putting on skis
Skier

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Mont Saint-Sauveur ski area

Magic is hard at work on the quad that's replacing double black chair. We have a nice view of this from our condo. They seem to be cranking on this.

SmartSelect_20190523-152139_Instagram.jpg

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
QUOTE="James, post: 362084, member: 371"]Woah, Magic with a quad! It's fixed grip?
Where's the pigs flying emoji?[/QUOTE]

N1ZAtLMnqX1U4.gif
Piece by piece, the quad chairlift that served the Stratton Snow Bowl for 27 years has been arriving at Magic Mountain to be reassembled.

MadPatSki

Putting on skis
Skier

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does anyone know if Warren Falls is relatively safe to swim with all the rain? I don't want my kids to swim there if it's a raging rapids. We swam there in the rain all day last year and it was great because it wasn't crowded at all.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Guessing it's fine. The rivers have gone down a lot in the last few days. It's only right after a storm that it'll be raging.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Guessing it's fine. The rivers have gone down a lot in the last few days. It's only right after a storm that it'll be raging.

Thanks dude. Not sure if we're going to make it. The other families are spooked by the forecast.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We are headed to our place at Killington for a little summer fun over the long July 4th weekend. Any good festivals or activities to recommend? We are planning a little hiking and low-grade MTB at this point.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
@Marker

I think the cooler in the mountain concert series has a show on 7/6 at night. It's at snowshed side on the grassy area in back of the lodge but you probably know this :). I believe the beast or at least the town of Killington also has their fireworks going on but not sure which day.

Londonderry has it's town parade on route 100 at 11am oon 7/6 if you are in the mood for some small town fun. They also shoot of the town fireworks at dusk on 765 at Magic mountain if you are so inclined :). I''s on heck of a party and the viewing of the fireworks is amazing because they shoot them off right at the base of Hocus Pocus (main green run running down center of mountain). You feel like they are going to fall on your head :)

Have a great long weekend.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Exciting news in Magic land.

b2e86017-a20a-4bad-a32d-5b0369d66d6a.jpg

Hot off the presses, check out our latest press release:

MAGIC GAINS VT STATE ACT 250 APPROVAL FOR SNOWMAKING POND EXPANSION PROJECT
- New Dam Construction and Stream Alteration Work Begins This Summer-

June 25, 2019, Londonderry, VT--Long a key element of SKI MAGIC LLC's 5-year strategic plan, Magic Mountain Ski Area has gained Vermont state permitting approval for doubling the size of its snowmaking pond to approximately 9 million gallons while taking the pond "off stream" to help create a better aquatic environment for downstream fish. The permit also allows the in-take of water from the Thompsonburg Brook along Route 11 for pond replenishment.

“Expanding Magic's snowmaking capability is critical to the long-term success of our ski area in order to provide skiers more trails with more snow coverage” said Geoff Hatheway President of Magic Mountain. ”No matter what mother-nature decides to bring us in the winter, the doubling of our water resources allows us to cover over 60% of the mountain on both the East and West Sides, so our customers have a great mix of the East's most interesting and challenging terrain to ski and ride over a longer season."

The snowmaking pond and stream work will begin later this summer and will be completed before the season begins.

This is the second Act 250 project approved this year for Magic. The installation of a Poma fixed-grip quad lift purchased from Stratton last year will also be done this summer and fall for the new ski season which will effectively double Magic's uphill capacity. The two projects together represent an investment of $2 million by SKI MAGIC LLC who purchased Magic two and half years ago and has overseen record skier visits each year. Magic has been awarded the #1 ski area in North America each of those seasons by Liftopia's "Best in Snow" survey.

- End press release -

So that's great news as it's been 3-years in the making to get this permitting process complete with over $150K spent on engineering and permitting for the Act 250 sign off working with a multitude of state agencies along the way. While we wish it could have been done more quickly and at a lower cost for our small business, we developed a strong partnership with the state and demonstrated that the "new" Magic was willing to put the time, effort and money behind accomplishing our goals the right way. Special thanks to Tim Jones and DuBois & King for shepherding this process. Now we work with local contractor P&L as well to execute the pond expansion and stream alteration this summer/fall!

Combined with our Quad Lift project (new upper trail has now been cut--and it's going to be another heart-pounding double black!), the snowmaking pond build out will make the 2019-20 season a special one and secure Magic's unique place in the East's ski culture for generations to come!

We hold our first wedding this summer at the new Sunshine Corner venue with the Green Lift shuttling guests up to the ceremony and then back down to the Black Line Tavern for the reception Saturday June 29th. Best wishes to the Healy family--a wonderful long-time Magic family!

It's never too early (or late) to make Magic your soulful wedding venue, just give Kerry a call here at the mountain 802-824-5645 x102.

The Black Line Tavern officially re-opens July 3rd for the holiday week for dinner (fresh new menu by Chef Chris!) and drinks and, once again, we will host Londonderry's American Independence Day celebration on July 6th with a live band (Road Trash 7:30-11)), great food and a huge fireworks show starting at 6pm-midnight. There's even a fun parade downtown at 11am. Go USA!

e0e2e3f6-ad5d-4d4a-aae6-906da546271e.jpg

The 18-hole Disc Golf course is open and starting to get a good deal of play. It's a fun way to walk the mountain and get a little competition in. Thursdays starting July 4th are our family twilight 9-hole outings and Saturdays at 2pm are our highly social 18-hole League competitions But on any day, you can play holes that run by our brooks, in our woods and out on our wide open trails with great downhill views. It's a pretty inexpensive way to get some exercise and enjoy the great outdoors! We also have individual and family disc golf season passes for sale.

Skiing in July?

Earlier than ever before, 2019/20 Day Lift Tickets are now on SALE with limited quantities just for the summer. It's never too early to "think snow" and lock in the lowest prices for your fun winter trips to Magic.

SUMMER TICKET SALE

Hope to see you soon in Vermont. The Quad Lift and Snowmaking Pond projects will be keeping us super busy, but we'd love to see you at the BLT for dinner on the deck or just drop in to the office to say "hi".

Think Sun and fun,

- Geoff
Magic Mountain
Where skiing still has its soul

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Marker

I think the cooler in the mountain concert series has a show on 7/6 at night. It's at snowshed side on the grassy area in back of the lodge but you probably know this :). I believe the beast or at least the town of Killington also has their fireworks going on but not sure which day.

Londonderry has it's town parade on route 100 at 11am oon 7/6 if you are in the mood for some small town fun. They also shoot of the town fireworks at dusk on 765 at Magic mountain if you are so inclined :). I''s on heck of a party and the viewing of the fireworks is amazing because they shoot them off right at the base of Hocus Pocus (main green run running down center of mountain). You feel like they are going to fall on your head :)

Have a great long weekend.
We attended the Killington July 4th activities last year and expect to do the same this year. We are already planning for the cooler music on Saturday, but I get fuzzier as I get farther from Killington.

Glad to see your home mtn is getting improvements like Killington. Ski the East! And that new double black trail...

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
We attended the Killington July 4th activities last year and expect to do the same this year. We are already planning for the cooler music on Saturday, but I get fuzzier as I get farther from Killington.

Glad to see your home mtn is getting improvements like Killington. Ski the East! And that new double black trail...

You'll have a blast in Killington... This is probably our next favorite area outside of Magic/Bromley. Killngton knows how to throw a party. We were there closing day on 6/2 and OMG THAT is how you close a mountain.

Yes so happy my Magic is getting the improvements it deserves.... So many rabid Magic fans out there, I love it. Geoff, Bill and Kerry are doing a great job of running the place. My friend is trying hard to get me to teach at Magic, we'll see. All I go on in the west side is Wizard at this point. Much of the other trails preclude my ability right now but I'll get there. My next one will be Talisman but I need a powder day, a couple shots and some fear management tools before that happens.... I'm all over about everything on the east side. Favorite trails there are Betwixt, Upper trick, Up Your Sleeve and Show Off and on a good day Vertigo, Medium and Lower Mystery.

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
This probably should go in the northeast 19/20 thread that doesn't exist yet. Quad is coming along at magic. Laying all the ground work now. Updates posted frequently on Instagram and Twitter. Here's a few pictures of the grounds at the base area. Red chairs are sleeping for the summer. They fixed the steps up to the lodge from the base, no longer deadly in ski boots or street shoes. Talisman is currently fogged in.

20190816_085411.jpg
20190816_082644.jpg

20190816_082428.jpg

20190816_082423.jpg

20190816_082420.jpg

20190816_082405.jpg

20190816_082357.jpg

20190816_082230.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor