• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mount Snow opens this Saturday, October 27, with more available terrain than any resort in the Northeast with skiing and riding from top to bottom.

Killington opened on October 19 and currently has three trails open ahead of this weekend - Rime, Reason and Upper East Fall - all for intermediate and above level skiers.

Wildcat received over 10 inches of snow and will open this Saturday, October 27, with 2,100 vertical feet of skiing and riding on Lynx, which is the most available East of The Rockies!

Sunday River received over 10 inches of snow and skiing will continue on upper Locke Mountain this weekend.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
This will be a tough Saturday to be open due to the warm nor'easter Saturday and the Red Sox. Wildcat over to Sunday River has best shot for snow, maybe 6 to 10 inches.

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
The folks at OpenSnow commented this morning that another storm will be hitting the northeast, but that it could deliver anything from rain to significant snow depending on its eventual track.

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Looks like Killington is trying to open the top part of great northern by the weekend so you can ski down to the northridge off the gondola rather than do the walkway. We'll see if it happens.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
Killington , Wildcat, Sunday River got 2-4 inches out of this wet storm, along with power outage at Killington. People are out though, Mt snow has a decent turnout on a wet opening day.

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like Mother Nature cooperated this weekend!

Looking ahead it seems like temps will be in the rise across most of the northeast Iver the coming days. Next weekend could be challenging for some resorts to keep open or maintain whatever progress they have made thus far.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like Mother Nature cooperated this weekend!

Looking ahead it seems like temps will be in the rise across most of the northeast Iver the coming days. Next weekend could be challenging for some resorts to keep open or maintain whatever progress they have made thus far.

Yeah, this is why only a few areas open so early. The risk / reward ratio isn't there in our fickle climate. (After this snow, it could decide to stay warm for six weeks or more.)

That said, I was in the Sugarloaf area today and it was looking pretty wintry for October.

20181028_115634-01.jpeg

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
This thread beginning is not the same since Stowe stopped playing the early season games. Less than Epic.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
This thread beginning is not the same since Stowe stopped playing the early season games. Less than Epic.

?? I don’t ever recall Stowe trying to open early; they’ve never (in my recollection...) tried to stretch their season on either end.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Saved Stowe tickets to get in some springtime bumps last year on some of Vermont’s best terrain. They closed mid April before it even got warm. In past years they would make it to the end of April/ first week of May. Maybe my memory is bad but I never remember them closing so early.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Saved Stowe tickets to get in some springtime bumps last year on some of Vermont’s best terrain. They closed mid April before it even got warm. In past years they would make it to the end of April/ first week of May. Maybe my memory is bad but I never remember them closing so early.

Found this item, on the StoweToday.com site, regarding the latest closing of Stowe :

"According to Mike Leach’s history timeline on the Mount Mansfield Ski Club website, that would be May 2 in 1983."

Looking at that site, the actual quote is :

"May 2 closing date marked latest closing in Stowe history."

Sounds like that was the latest at that time - maybe not the latest ever. But the timeline doesn't have anything later more recently, and I don't see anything chronicling closing dates since then, except for the last 4 or 5 years.

But it seems like Stowe probably hasn't made May often, and then only to the first weekend.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, my memory is that Stowe picks a closing date well in advance, and then sometimes will extend by a week or two. I don't recall them ever stretching as long as possible.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Up at the condo this weeked and Magic and Bromley have a nice dusting. Bromley starts to blow snow next weekend and will open the day after thanksgiving and Magic has plans for the same.

45847603_10156032958618014_1077073589045297152_n.jpg

45800804_10156032958983014_2231977908254015488_n.jpg

45809487_10156032952028014_1462716658148704256_n.jpg

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wildcat was great, had a long single trail open T2B with good snow depth. Snow guns & towers blasting at certain sections and no grooming. The sections with no snowmaking, I can see nice moguls lines. This is the earliest I have skied and had to call it quits by noon, it was either my legs giving out or being covered like a snowman with ice forming on my goggle from the guns and towers.

Wildcat's MO is they will let the place bump up but will groom it out once it gets slick between the bumps. They let Lower Catenary bump up and those bumps are really nice now.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ooh. Should have made the trek.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had a fun second day of the season yesterday at Wildcat. It was raining in the morning driving from Boston, but as I started to get near Conway there was snow on the ground. And then, literally a minute or two from the Wildcat parking lot, the rain turned into snow! My favorite part about the day is that it truly felt like winter, with snow on the ground, in the trees, and falling from the sky.

Unlike last Sunday at Killington, there were zero lines yesterday, despite top-to-bottom skiing on a high-speed quad. Wildcat reported getting six inches overnight, with more accumulation throughout the day. It was heavy snow, and it quickly got bumped up in some sections and choppy in others. It was fun but exhausting skiing (though that's also because it's early season and I'm still getting into shape, leg blasters only go so far). I only lasted until 12:30 as my legs were getting tired, and conditions on the top of the open trail started getting worse.

Some pictures:

I only got a couple of quick glimpses of Mount Washington through the clouds. At one point I saw a ravine that looked impossibly steep (not pictured here), and I was wondering if it was Tuckerman's or not. I've seen pictures and videos of Tuckerman's, and I know it's steep, but this looked much steeper. Looking now on Google Maps, I think it might have been the east side of Huntington Ravine?

My favorite part of the day was the snow coming down! I haven't skied while it's been snowing since late March.

The clouds appeared to be parting just as I was leaving around 1. This was the first time I could see the summit from the base.

I would love to visit Wildcat again (preferably on a bluebird day with views of Washington), but I probably won't this season as I am trying to maximize days on passes I have. It had an old school New England vibe to it, similar to Cannon or Pico. Really neat.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would love to visit Wildcat again (preferably on a bluebird day with views of Washington), but I probably won't this season as I am trying to maximize days on passes I have. It had an old school New England vibe to it, similar to Cannon or Pico. Really neat.

Been a while since I've been to Cannon, both Wildcat and Cannon has that neighborhood feel. Lots of locals and none of the ski in and ski out crowd. Closer to Boston, Berkshire East and Pats Peak has that feel as well.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I only got a couple of quick glimpses of Mount Washington through the clouds. At one point I saw a ravine that looked impossibly steep (not pictured here), and I was wondering if it was Tuckerman's or not. I've seen pictures and videos of Tuckerman's, and I know it's steep, but this looked much steeper. Looking now on Google Maps, I think it might have been the east side of Huntington Ravine?

c8a32d5df28933e715f887da6f44f0d2.jpg
This was taken from Wildcat on a clear day. That round bowl shape up there in the middle is Tuckerman Ravine.
To its left, the long chute in full shadow is Hillman's Highway.
Beyond the picture to the far right, where the pitch is very steep as the ground drops out of sight, is Huntington Ravine.

Tuckerman Ravine is steep.
775812.JPG

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Great pictures and directions.

On the other side of Mt Washington, how is the cog railway for skiing? I think it was opened to the public a few years ago. We tried driving up the base road one time but I turned around when I realized we were driving on pure ice and don't have studs.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Hike up the back side along the cog, ski down. There are multiple routes. There's a ton of info on the timefortuckerman forum if you are interested, and on famousinternetskiers.
http://www.timefortuckerman.com
http://www.famousinternetskiers.com
The cog won't get you up there in the winter; it's closed for the season. As is the auto road on the other side.

Hiking up to watch or ski Tuckerman in spring is a fun thing to do, on a 45-55 degree day with sun and crowds on a Saturday. Make plans.
I sense you are ready.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online