• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018-19 Scott Team Issue poles

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
Scott just taught a masterclass on how to screw up a perfect ski pole. Team Issue pole was the gold standard of freeride ski poles, tough, light and virtually indestructible. So how do you screw it up? You add a feature! The new poles have SRS system which an all to clever attempt to combat skiers thumb injury. The strap is attached via a plastic tab that releases when pulled up. Sounds good, but... The damn tab releases at a slightest tug in that direction and it's nigh impossibke to put it back if you are in gloves. Royal PITA. Moreover the strap is now attached via a tiny thin piece of ribbon that frays and breaks after less that a season. Scott is good about sending replacement straps , but really??? Why screw up something that was perfect???

I get it. I had to take mine into the on-mountain ski shop the other day to find someone who could put the plastic tab back into the handle. After thanking the guy in the shop, I said that I hope it don't it doesn't happen again. He said "if it does happen again, just bring them back in. Everybody else does".

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
This could be written as an open letter to Scott.
Dear Scott,
Why did you fix it until you broke it?
And ask them why their customer/dealer support is non-existent.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here was my solution:

poles.jpg

After digging a few people out of snowdrifts inbounds, pinned under by their own equipment, I view straps as a safety hazard; even with SRS. After two days of riding without straps, I don't even notice they're gone. Never dropped a pole, even with numerous falls and one tomahawk.

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Here was my solution:

View attachment 126433

After digging a few people out of snowdrifts inbounds, pinned under by their own equipment, I view straps as a safety hazard; even with SRS. After two days of riding without straps, I don't even notice they're gone. Never dropped a pole, even with numerous falls and one tomahawk.

I guess you have earned your username! I can’t imagine tomahawking and still gripping my poles. That takes skills and presence of mind. Hats off!!!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess you have earned your username! I can’t imagine tomahawking and still gripping my poles. That takes skills and presence of mind. Hats off!!!
Maybe he is a whitewater boater. ("Hold on to your paddle!")

Anyway, I can't imagine that either, and don't want to. I'm very attached to my relaxed grip and don't plan on fixing that anytime soon.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

No presence of mind. Just gripping out of sheer terror.

Fortunately I didn't get hurt. When the tumbling stopped I was preoccupied with digging the snow out of my jacket and pants. It wasn't until I was back on the lift that I realized I didn't drop my poles.