• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Early season the early bird gets the worm. The ice is more a function of traffic and time. Soft morning corduroy quickly becomes ice under early season everyone on same run traffic. Until springtime every condition is better early.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
My son wants to go out and visit a friend in Park City the weekend of 12/15. My guess is it will be kind of a crapshoot but will it be worth my going with him and skiing? He plays a college sport in the spring and this is pretty much the only chance he will have to go out there.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My son wants to go out and visit a friend in Park City the weekend of 12/15. My guess is it will be kind of a crapshoot but will it be worth my going with him and skiing? He plays a college sport in the spring and this is pretty much the only chance he will have to go out there.

Where were you going to ski? ANd what terrain were you interested in?

There was no natural snow on the ground at snowbasin until this weekends storm. They have been making snow like crazy and got a dump of 20" of very thick base building snow. They are reporting a 20" base, that needs to be 35"+ before you can venture off the groomers with out hitting sage brush and rocks every other turn. The resort will need at least another good storm or two to open more interesting terrain.

Just a quick looks at Alta's website shows a 35" base, Alta needs to be about 45"+ to cover most of the rocks off trail. So more storms are needed. Alta is usually the best place in UT to go for good expert skiing in early season.

Check back later and see what happens with possible storms later this week and terrain openings this weekend.

Last edited:

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
Where were you going to ski? ANd what terrain were you interested in?

There was no natural snow on the ground at snowbasin until this weekends storm. They have been making snow like crazy and got a dump of 20" of very thick base building snow. They are reporting a 20" base, that needs to be 35"+ before you can venture off the groomers with out hitting sage brush and rocks every other turn. The resort will need at least another good storm or two to open more interesting terrain.

Just a quick looks at Alta's website shows a 35" base, Alta needs to be about 45"+ to cover most of the rocks off trail. So more storms are needed. Alta is usually the best place in UT to go for good expert skiing in early season.

Check back later and see what happens with possible storms later this week and terrain openings this weekend.

I am not expecting lots of off groomed skiing in December. I live in New England and the snow in the East is crappy this time of year. I was thinking of getting a VRBO in Park City because that is where his buddy is. Will there be groomed front side skiing? How far is the drive from PC to the other resorts if we decide to go somewhere else?

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am not expecting lots of off groomed skiing in December. I live in New England and the snow in the East is crappy this time of year. I was thinking of getting a VRBO in Park City because that is where his buddy is. Will there be groomed front side skiing? How far is the drive from PC to the other resorts if we decide to go somewhere else?

That might be true in general, but this is shaping up to be one of the best early seasons in New England that many can remember. There are plenty of resorts here where you can safely go off-piste already in certain places. Killington is forecast to get 21" over the next 5 days! Who knows if the cold air and snow will last through mid-December, but if our good fortune continues, you could be having a lot of fun here in the East :)! That said, please don't let me dissuade you from going out West because I would do the same if I had the opportunity.

TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Nothing like jumping into full blizzard mode on day 1 of the season. -Saturday morning - I woke up to some white stuff on the lawn! ( always a good sign when the snow hits the valley floor)- i got on the road nice and early and headed for Brighton - 20 minutes into my drive i get a text from my buddy saying he just woke up - oh well catch them later. it was a bit of a white knuckle drive up BCC. there were the token idiots who attempted to drive the mini van up the mountain stuck on the side of the road slowing things down , but i got up there and parked by 830 , booted up and ready for my first chair of the season. get to the RFID and the Ikon pass doesn't work! - i hollar, they let me through -im instructed to go get a day pass when i get down. after a great run through the trees in fresh tracks skiers right of sawbuck i get back down to the brighton center. its pure mayhem down there. i had to wait about 45 minutes for a day pass to replace the Ikon. alot of angry folks waiting around for the same. one would think they would test this stuff out! - good thing it was still dumping hard and the refills kept on coming. the lines on Crest were pretty sizeable for a while there. but they opened snake creek and things thinned out a bit. the wind was seriously howling around the summit. the snow kept hitting until i packed up for home around 3pm. pretty wild white out conditions for the first day out but i enjoyed the hell out of it (other than IKON failure) . hot tub and beers put this guy to bed early. gotta get the ski legs back!

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, tomorrow is it for me! Powder Mountain opens (Sundown lift only per usual). The first day of skiing always brings excitement and a bit of apprehension. Did I forget how to ski? What is I FORGOT how to ski?! OMG!
One thing is for sure: My summer fitness program of fly fishing and beer drinking is once again going to prove a failure.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
TONS of new snow at Snowbasin. It was very dense, too dense for my knees to play in the powder (I tried) but what a hoot on the groomers and anywhere that had gotten tracked out and developed soft moguls. I skied all morning, and am grabbing my daughter to go back up! It was starting to snow heavily when I left. This next wave is forecast to be much lighter and colder, and still another 10 or so inches.
:daffy:

TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
One thing is for sure: My summer fitness program of fly fishing and beer drinking is once again going to prove a failure.

Great stuff right there! sounds familiar

headed up to the Solitude opener tomorrow - should be great conditions with all the fresh lately and more due tonight.The Grill is coming out

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
TONS of new snow at Snowbasin. It was very dense, too dense for my knees to play in the powder (I tried) but what a hoot on the groomers and anywhere that had gotten tracked out and developed soft moguls. I skied all morning, and am grabbing my daughter to go back up! It was starting to snow heavily when I left. This next wave is forecast to be much lighter and colder, and still another 10 or so inches.
:daffy:
Just what is needed to cover the rocks and brush up quick.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
1C8FE111-5D33-4538-9A24-86341047C5EE.jpeg Friday was delicious at Pow Mow. Very good coverage and some legit powder turns to be had! Great opener!
Opening up more terrain Saturday if they can get everything dug out.

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
What's the best way to get from SLC airport to PC/Canyons area? Hotel I'm at doesn't offer a shuttle.

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
What's the best way to get from SLC airport to PC/Canyons area? Hotel I'm at doesn't offer a shuttle.

I'm assuming you don't have a car, so Uber would probably be the ticket. Or if you see any Pc shuttles out front of the airport then ask them how much for a ride.

Sponsor

Staff online