• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are going to start the thread....go back and change the title to 2018-2019 Utah Weather and Stoke. It will be like all the other regional threads and easier to the eye in locating the thread.

TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
perhaps a moderator has the ability to amend the title, i either dont have the skills or the option to do so.

Reactions: BC.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I got it.
Were there more than one Utah thread last year?

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
40 degrees F on the Ogden bench and the steady rain continues. Can’t wait to check out the resort web cams tomorrow!

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm not there to see it, but OpenSnow reported a dumping at Brian Head over the weekend - a foot or more, I believe.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Trying to not get it into my head that this will mean a great winter here this year, but it's hard not to giggle at the snow outside on my grass!

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This at 6600’ outside the house this morning 4BA94FC5-6283-4E73-ACAF-4DA0035D85EF.jpeg

I am sure Deer Valley got dumped on last night. I can’t imagine what Alta and Bird got

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
Trip booked for Jan 19 to 23rd so I plan on monitoring this thread closely. ogsmile

Plan is to do a 3 Day Ski City pass and hop between Alta and Snowbird exclusively. Hotel in Midvalley.

Always down to meet up with any cool people willing to guide a Midwestern boy around the big, scary mountains.

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
If one was looking to book a trip to the SLC area, what week/month would be the closest thing to 'sure thing' for good snow conditions? Understand it can't necessarily be predicted, but certainly there are better times than others.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If one was looking to book a trip to the SLC area, what week/month would be the closest thing to 'sure thing' for good snow conditions? Understand it can't necessarily be predicted, but certainly there are better times than others.
^^^ Hmm...been there 5.5 winters and the best month might actually have been different every year. I'll have to think about that. But running the standard deviation in my head while drinking coffee I'd say...February,...wait no January....um March?

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
^^^ Hmm...been there 5.5 winters and the best month might actually have been different every year. I'll have to think about that. But running the standard deviation in my head while drinking coffee I'd say...February,...wait no January....um March?

Yeah I know it's tough to say. Trying to plan/juggle a few different trips so looking for any discriminating information to help me decide when to plan which for.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Statistically, you can answer it. Looking at http://bestsnow.net and http://zrankings.com (which uses some bestsnow data) gives you a bunch of historical info.

Here's the Bestsnow page for Utah : http://www.bestsnow.net/utahnet.htm which includes the odds of a 6"+ powder day, but doesn't break things down by month.

And here are the ZRankings snow graphs for Alta, the first showing the best coverage/depth, and the second showing the relative snow comparison to other resorts.

upload_2018-10-27_11-53-10.png

Of course, Alta ranks number 1 for snow, so the first graph reaches 100%, and the second is pegged at 100%. Looking at Snowbasin gives a different picture :

upload_2018-10-27_11-54-40.png

Now this doesn't quite address conditions, since that will depend on how recently snow actually fell, and how light it is, which is impossible to predict accurately more than a few days in advance. But it does say when the most terrain is likely to be open, and when there should be the best chances of getting snow.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier

FWIW, I would say the last week of January to mid February is probably your best bet for all the Salt Lake and Ogden area resorts. If you are focusing on the Cottonwood resorts (Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, and Solitude) you could push that out to the end of February.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That kinda looks like January through March to me.

Yep, and until we get any better indicators that's probably about as accurate as you can be. Some of the long range forecasts coming out might help, but it's still a crap shoot.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ When I added the fact that I may not be in UT much this winter to the European Model it started smoking and blowing tubes.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January