• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 10.41.36 AM.png
Some cage matches are tougher than others; this one of them. When the skis are more similar than different, my work gets harder -- but of course that's why you pay me the big bucks.

So where do we start with the similarities? The same factory? The same parent company? Where, oh where do we start? Well, both of these skis evolved from platforms that had been around for at least half a decade. The Nordica replaces one of the reference skis in this 110-115 category, the Patron, a powder ski as popular in the East as it was in the West. The Rustler replaces the Gunsmoke, which (sorry) never lived up to its Flipcore roots from the Freeride Bull collection.

Yes, both of these skis are all new. The Enforcer 110 took DNA from both the Patron and the perennially sold-out Enforcer 100 and created a much better Patron that is more powerful yet not as heavy and planky as the Helldorado. The longer Enforcer wheelbase is the ingredient that solidifies the 110's place in the lineup. Blizzard seemed to try too hard to make the Gunsmoke likable: the ski just felt contrived. If you asked four people where it should be mounted, you would get six different answers. Not so much with the new Rustlers: you would think that a ski that is pretty similar couldn't be so different. Well, dropping the tail and changing the flex makes you completely forget about the uhmmm ....
  • Why choose the Enforcer 110? You are looking for a little more power; this is the bigger Enforcer 100 we were waiting for. For 11/10th skiers, there is the Enforcer 115 Pro.
  • Why choose the Rustler 11? You want to relax in the crud, you don't need to be the first one back at the lift. But what if there are drinks on the line? Well, if you end up paying, you won't be able to blame the skis.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Love the Patrons in heavy Tahoe powder (they just don't seem to get hung up on anything, even a light refrozen crust), but they do start to get thrown around once the snow gets packed down. Not sure I necessarily need the power of the Enforcer 110 on a powder day (though it could certainly be fun), but I'm very curious to give the Rustler a try. Looks like it could be a perfect mix of the Patron's easy-going (though highly carveable, should the desire arise) nature with a little of the crud-busting abilities of the bull series thrown in.

allgash

Booting up
Skier
Thanks @Philpug for this comparison! Both of these skis have gotten fantastic reviews, and they both seem like great choices.

Would you say that the Enforcer 110 is any harder to drive than the Enforcer 100? One website I looked at listed the Enforcer 100 as being an advanced through pro ski, whereas the 110 was considered just a pro ski. But on the other hand, Blister's review makes the 110 sound like basically a 10mm wider version of the 100. I'm writing this as someone who is about 5'9" and 140 lbs loved the 100, and is considering the 110 as a powder/crud ski, but is worried that it will be too much of a ski :cool:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice comparo! I'd love some Enforcer 115 input from the technical skiers on this site.

The shape calls to me. Noticeably less tail rocker than the 110. But the days of me needing a Big Boy Huck Stick that doesn't come alive until 35 mph are FAR gone.

Kurt

Ski 4 Life
Instructor
Thanks for the comparison. I loved my Patrons, the early version with less mainstream graphics, until they delaminated and I had to move on to another ski. As others mentioned the only time I questioned them was when it got packed out. Ended up with a totally different ski in the Volkl Katana vWerks and love them for different reasons than the Patron; not only fun in powder but better on packed than the old Patron. How is the Enforcer 110 on packed?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for the comparison. I loved my Patrons, the early version with less mainstream graphics, until they delaminated and I had to move on to another ski. As others mentioned the only time I questioned them was when it got packed out. Ended up with a totally different ski in the Volkl Katana vWerks and love them for different reasons than the Patron; not only fun in powder but better on packed than the old Patron. How is the Enforcer 110 on packed?
On the packed, the new Enforcer 110 was significantly better than the old Patron ever could be. The longer wheelbase and additional stiffness allowed the 110 to be a lot more stable. Sure, it lost some of the playfulness that the Patron had but the pluses out weights that loss.

procos

Putting on skis
Skier
I currently have the Enforcer 100 and LOVE IT. I ski on it for my trips out west for anything up to 6". My other ski I bring is the J Ski The Metal which I really like but feel the recommended mount line is to close to the center. I prefer traditional mounted skis. I mounted the Metals on the recommended line which is -6cm from center. I am trying to sell the Metal. I do also have a Atomic Auto 117 to bring in place of the Metal if when I go the forecast calls for some big storms. With that being said if I replace my Metal I am looking at either the Rustler 11 or Enforcer 110.

If you had to pick either the Rustler 11 or Enforcer 110 to add to the Enforcer 100 as an outwest 2 ski quiver which way would you go? I would ski the Enforcer 110 in 177 and the Rustler in 180. Keep in mind I go to Alta/Snowbird and spend most of my time in the steeps, bumps and trees.

Thanks,

Chuck

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If
If you had to pick either the Rustler 11 or Enforcer 110 to add to the Enforcer 100 as an outwest 2 ski quiver which way would you go? I would ski the Enforcer 110 in 177 and the Rustler in 180. Keep in mind I go to Alta/Snowbird and spend most of my time in the steeps, bumps and trees.

Thanks,

Chuck
Well....
  • Why choose the Enforcer 110? You are looking for a little more power; this is the bigger Enforcer 100 we were waiting for. For 11/10th skiers, there is the Enforcer 115 Pro.
  • Why choose the Rustler 11? You want to relax in the crud, you don't need to be the first one back at the lift. But what if there are drinks on the line? Well, if you end up paying, you won't be able to blame the skis.
Since you have the Enforcer 100, if you want to replicate the feel, the Enforcer 110. If you want to complement it., the Rustler 11. No wrong answer.

procos

Putting on skis
Skier
If
Well....

Since you have the Enforcer 100, if you want to replicate the feel, the Enforcer 110. If you want to complement it., the Rustler 11. No wrong answer.

I like that answer. I was thinking the Rustler 11 for that exact reason. I also like the extra 3cm in length and the extra 4mm in width. I do believe the Rustlers are lighter as well.

Rdp

It's just skiing
Skier
Skied my 180 Rustler 11s today. What a blast. Light, floaty, nimble, strong, and beefy. But not too much to toss around. Surprising carving ability with short radius. Does all turn shapes in all conditions. Bumps and trees a blast. Might be even more fun than my old bones...

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Nice comparo! I'd love some Enforcer 115 input from the technical skiers on this site.

The shape calls to me. Noticeably less tail rocker than the 110. But the days of me needing a Big Boy Huck Stick that doesn't come alive until 35 mph are FAR gone.

Ill have pair in 2 years when everyone is on a new hype train.

It hard to justify buying a 115 193cm ski when I ll just end up skiing on my El Capos and Enforcers most powder days.

Nikoras

Booting up
Skier
This cage match is my current conundrum. It seems like the winner will have to do with the length and type of terrain I ride. New England powder days have me spending a lot of time in tight trees so my inclination is to go for the Rustler 11 in 180. Thought the Enforcer seems more appealing for trips out west where I will be taking it on more open terrain. In that case the Enforcer 110 in 185 seems more attractive.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I skied the 185 Enforcers 110 and 180 Rustler 11 on a 10" powder day back to back, so got both in powder and in chop/crud. The 180 Rustlers I really liked. They had a playful feel to them, and skied well in the open also. And while the 192 version was better in crud, the 180 did about as well as the 188, with a really playful fun factor thrown in, dialed in for a wide range of skiing styles and intensities.

At first, the Enforcer 110 was a bit of a disappointment. It felt like an Enforcer 100 with a softer tip and tail to hold it back. It did charge crud, but it did not charge crud as well as the 100, to me; a surprise, but confirmed by the Blistergear folks in their 18/19 magazine. (But then to me, the Enforcer 100 is a standout ski for its width in both powder and crud: maybe the standout powder/crud ski at that width or less, seems like.)

To me, after my initial disappointment, I found that rather than being a more demanding ski in soft snow than the Enforcer 100, the 110 is a very forgiving ski, big sweet spot, fun carve for its width, maybe an Everyman type of powder/crud ski.

So it grew on me; but it also had me wondering a lot about the Enforcer 115 Pro: I'll bet that at its actual pull length of 186.5, the Enforcer Pro 115 might be a winner for a lot of skiers besides Burlyman chargers. I flexed a pair of them in a store - surprisingly light and stiff, it seemed like. Now if only it's at least as damp as its two narrower cousins.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
This cage match is my current conundrum. It seems like the winner will have to do with the length and type of terrain I ride. New England powder days have me spending a lot of time in tight trees so my inclination is to go for the Rustler 11 in 180. Thought the Enforcer seems more appealing for trips out west where I will be taking it on more open terrain. In that case the Enforcer 110 in 185 seems more attractive.

the E100 will be fine most NE powder days. The 110 starts to become a chore when stuff skied out.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
its not...

its just 100 can float so well these days.

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
Has anyone center mounted their Rustlers? I know these skis are balanced for a traditional mount. I'm toying with the idea of having a mount closer to center but am afraid of throwing the skis all out of whack.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
well you really though you out of whack....BACKSEAT city

Do you really ski backward in powder?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Has anyone center mounted their Rustlers? I know these skis are balanced for a traditional mount. I'm toying with the idea of having a mount closer to center but am afraid of throwing the skis all out of whack.

The Rustler line are a bit more forward mounted already(plus 2cm approx) compared to their traditional mounted Blizzard counter parts like the Brahma/Bonifide/Cochise. Like most free ride/free style skis out there, you would be able to move the binding mount plus/minus about 2cm without issue which would put you into the 6.5cm back or so range from center on a Rustler.

Moving more forward than that would affect stability and you’d be fighting the side cut etc. and having to ski in the back seat as Josh said. Even the Free Ride Tour pro riders using Rustler 11 skis are mounting about 2cm-3cm forward of the line and are usually upsizing to at least the 188cm or 192cm versions to increase stability and ski stiffness.

So I’d say 2cm max forward/6.5cm or so back of center or else get a freestyle ski that have a more symmetrical sidecut designed for a more centered mount.

Sponsor