• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Legend 96 vs. QST 99 R.png

Vive la France. The French have never subscribed to the “me too" school of ski design, or really anything else in the industry. They also have never been afraid to take chances: external dampening with Prolink, monocoque constructions, Omega cores, asymmetrical ID shapes, different sidewall densities, chicken head tips, PowerRating sizing. Amazingly there is more -- but enough about the past, let's talk about now and the future.

Actually, there is some past that we will still talk about: Dynastar is resurrecting an old name for this new collection, a (wait for it) Legend-ary name, in fact. Yes, there is a lot of history being discussed; have I lost you yet? No? Good. Dynastar had pretty good recent success with its Chams and Powertracks, but those collections never really took off. Neither did they Cham-WOW the critics, so Dynastar decided to clean house, take two series down to one, and streamline things. Smart, very smart -- as is using the name and design on both sides of the wall for men and women in the Legend and Legend W.

Salomon went modern in the design of its new-last-year QST skis, once again dancing to the beat of a different drummer by adding woven flax and incorporating its proven Spaceframe construction. The QST 99 is light yet powerful, a combination that Salomon was unable to achieve before; it was always either/or up to this new collection. While that is all fun and stuff, what does it really mean to you? Well, the QST does not try to be the old Sentinel, nor is it as fall-off-the-bone easy as the previous QST 98: the new QSTs are the best of both designs, and great value, too.
  • Why choose the Legend X96? Dynastar was smart to bring back the Legend name; if you like that Dynastar feel, you will be right at home here. This is a comfortable old paire de jeans straight from Chamonix.
  • Why choose the QST 99? First, don’t be fooled by the 19m turn radius; the QST is much more playful than that. Trees and off piste are where to enjoy this ski the most.

snofun3

Booting up
Skier
I absolutely loved the old Legends. I had the 8000, 8800, Mythic Rider and XXL's in multiple quivers and pairs, and even took them out of storage in CO last year for a personal retro day and ended up loving them once again, as did my son.

Then came the Sultans, and, like wtf did they do to my Legends - sold those FAST.

I had a demo day at WB and tried the Chams - couldn't wait to get those off my feet - it was well known that they were a love / hate thing, and I hated them from the first turn.

I hope the new Legends bring back the magic of the old ones.

Royal

UTAH
Skier
^^^ interesting, I love the 4800(tele), the 8000's and 8800's(still ski them as my DD because I can't afford the new stuff) I never skied a regular Cham. but I have demoed both the 97 HM and the 97 2.0 and loved them both. hopefully the new models will push down the pricing on the older Chams so I can get me a pair:D

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I only tried the Cham 97 v1, back when they first came out. I felt they wanted to make big turns, couldn’t I change turn shape as easily as I wanted. They were pretty stable. Be interesting to demo the new Legend.

The QST 99 is indeed playful, great in crud and bumps while remaining stable with speed - for a lightweight like me. One of my favorite skis I’ve demoed in the past few years.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I own the Salomon QST 99. Definitely an all rounder, more to the finesse than the power end of the spectrum, but with oodles more beef than the predecessor Q98.

The Salomon shape is great off piste, and the QST is also very good on piste. Compared to a double ti laminate ski it won't have the same grip on ice or ultimate top end, but for most skiers, particularly lighter or mid weight ones, this is simply a non issue - completely theoretical.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Hmm skied the QST99 straight after coming off the Head Kore 105. It was ok but just a bit meh by comparison for me.

johnny_v

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
In February I demoed the Legend 96, the Enforcers (93 & 100) and the Heads (Monster 88 and Kore 93). All these skis felt pretty good but the Legends were by far my favorites of the day...so effortless and automatic in the bumps and chewed up snow. I didn't push any of the skis that day on the groomed trails. All skis were tested in the 179-180 cm range and because the Dynastars felt so good in the 178, I am considering buying the 186. In Phil's post he says the Dynastars are for you if you like the Dynastar feel...I guess that's me. I went to the demo day expecting to pick one of the Enforcers or the Kore 93. The Dynastars weren't even on my radar until I tried them. As of now, I would say the Dynastars are my #1 pick but I still want to try the new Bones and the Kore 105 before making a purchase.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In February I demoed the Legend 96, the Enforcers (93 & 100) and the Heads (Monster 88 and Kore 93). All these skis felt pretty good but the Legends were by far my favorites of the day...so effortless and automatic in the bumps and chewed up snow. I didn't push any of the skis that day on the groomed trails. All skis were tested in the 179-180 cm range and because the Dynastars felt so good in the 178, I am considering buying the 186. In Phil's post he says the Dynastars are for you if you like the Dynastar feel...I guess that's me. I went to the demo day expecting to pick one of the Enforcers or the Kore 93. The Dynastars weren't even on my radar until I tried them. As of now, I would say the Dynastars are my #1 pick but I still want to try the new Bones and the Kore 105 before making a purchase.
And thats why we do cage matches. :ogcool:

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
So, what do we know about the new Dynastar ski besides the Legend name? Flex profile, sidecut, construction, the way it skis? As a cage match this one was pretty uninformative.

Sponsor