• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
FX85 vs. LX85.png
It couldn’t get more black vs white than comparing these two skis. This is really a Gen 2.0 comparison that goes back to the original FX and LX, but the times have changed. The new FX85 is much more off-piste-oriented than the original FX84, which felt more like a lightweight MX; where the old LX was a solid intermediate ski, the new one is now that lightweight MX. Follow so far? Last season we compared the FX85 HP to the MX89, and this should lead to a similar conclusion.

The FX85 received a few upgrades for 2018 to add some responsiveness to the ski; the tweak in construction, while subtle, is a nice addition but doesn't change what has made the ski one of our testers' favorite designs since it was introduced. That FX was never one of my favorites, but I did appreciate its attributes; being a traditionalist, I preferred the MX and even the original FX. The 2018 FX has a touch more control and connection than the previous one, which I felt was a bit vague.

The LX85 is all new and not, I repeat not, to be confused with the outgoing LX series. This LX is more of a revolution than an evolution, to the point where it really could have used a different letter -- KX, OX, ZX, whatever. Even MX-L would work, because as I said above, it feels more like an MX Lite than like the previous LX. What does this mean for you? More power without the need to feel that you have to be “on it” all the time. I used to refer to the original FX as the Porsche Cayman to the MX's 911, and this is even more true with the new LX.
  • Why choose the FX85? You either hang out off piste or want to. This entry-level premium ski will open up more of the mountain to you.
  • Why choose the LX85? You don't have the drive, demand, or wallet for the MX, but you want the feel of a premium frontside ski.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Well said. The LX,is a ski that previous lx owners (many were lightweights men &women) should demo this ski before you buy. Those who were looking for a more laid back, easy to flex ski may be surprised how many ponies lie beneath the top sheets and more aggressive lightweights May revel at this incarnation. Even at my 168# I found it to ski just fine. :thumb::thumb:

The fx85 is a fantastic ski just not for those who are looking for precise or quick tip engagement. That same trait makes it a phenomenal off piste tool

SkiFree

Chris
Skier
For those who are still confused, what are the general differences between the MX, FX, and LX lines?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For those who are still confused, what are the general differences between the MX, FX, and LX lines?
MX: On Piste Power
LX: On Piste Finesse
FX HP/BMX HP: Off Piste Power
FX/BMX: Off Piste Finesse.

SkiFree

Chris
Skier
MX: On Piste Power
LX: On Piste Finesse
FX HP/BMX HP: Off Piste Power
FX/BMX: Off Piste Finesse.
Thank you. So how does a ski like the MX 98 play into all of this? Frontside oriented powerful all mountain?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thank you. So how does a ski like the MX 98 play into all of this? Frontside oriented powerful all mountain?
Yeah. IMHO, the MX98, when it was still alive..then reborn again was that, one helluva charger. The MX98 in the 184 was the MX89 for an 11/10th skier, a better step up from the MX88 than the 188 MX88. There is only one ski on the market now that comes to mind that was like that MX98...the Head Monster 98.

SkiFree

Chris
Skier
I picked up a new old stock 2016 MX98 recently, glad to hear it was the right choice. I am dying to see what it can do :daffy:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I picked up a new old stock 2016 MX98 recently, glad to hear it was the right choice. I am dying to see what it can do :daffy:
You are in for a treat, it is such a good ski. The MX98 is truly a timeless ski.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sounds like the LX is the more responsive but more demanding of the group. It must have more metal and overall performance stronger on front side.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lurker bumping (sorry) this old thread with a question. Last season, after receiving a lot of great input from you all, I ended up buying the LX85 as a frontside ski. I had intentions of picking up a Navigator 80 for bumps and venturing into trees this season since I love love love the LX, but it's a bit strong for me in sketchy ungroomed conditions.

I can potentially source a FX85 (non-HP) locally for less $$ than the above, though. Sounds like it might not be as redundant as it looks? Good idea? Bad idea? Alternative on the other end of the width spectrum is something like a Salomon QST 92. 5'5", 130lb, NH/VT, solid-to-advanced intermediate on groomers, noob off piste. 160cm LX, would be looking at a 165 FX.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think the FX85 would be a good choice, especially if you can pick it up cheep.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Update: I did end up picking up the FX for cheap, and skied both of them back to back in spring conditions at Wachusett today. Wow, I am no longer concerned about redundancy. FX 85 is a lot softer than the LX 85. Super easy in the bumps, piles of mashed potato-y snow, and the couple of turns I took in the trees (don't tell Wawa they'll pull my pass).

Not so much fun on smoother groomers. Super easy to skid and toss around, but I struggled to really engage the tips and carve a clean turn. Give my my LX back for that any day. Bought them used, so maybe it's the tune (or maybe I suck), but this seems in line with others' opinions of the ski. Definitely two completely different tools for different applications.

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not so much fun on smoother groomers. Super easy to skid and toss around, but I struggled to really engage the tips and carve a clean turn. Give my my LX back for that any day. Bought them used, so maybe it's the tune (or maybe I suck), but this seems in line with others' opinions of the ski. Definitely two completely different tools for different applications.
That's how they are. the rocker that makes them so great in off piste is why carving is a struggle. Your last sentence sums it up well.

James

Out There
Instructor
Does the latest Fx85 non hp have lots more rocker than say one from '14-15?
I skied that and it was ok on piste- western packed. Not tons of give back but decent. Quite good in bumps and mild off piste.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
What would be a similar ski to LX 85 at 168 (R 17) now. DX 85 at 168? Looking for another MX Lite.