• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's interesting that the MX 84 offers a 184 but the Limited only in 168 and 176. Maybe that's meaningless. Maybe it means a lot.
Actually according to the brochure..160, 168, and 176. I am sure they have looked at sales and saw that the 152 and 184's sales were just not there to warrent the extra skis...not uncommon with bookend sizing. If you notice the MX88 Classic is also not offered in the two bookends of 158 and 188 either.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
If I had the blé, I'd be content with the 168. Haven't checked my lottery ticket yet, so you never know.

On the other hand, my quiver has 80s galore (84 & 88), so with lottery money, I might look at the RX SLs. Or an AX. :D

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If I had the blé, I'd be content with the 168. Haven't checked my lottery ticket yet, so you never know.

On the other hand, my quiver has 80s galore (84 & 88), so with lottery money, I might look at the RX SLs. Or an AX. :D
Yeah, because we know they are affordable. ;)

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually according to the brochure..160, 168, and 176. I am sure they have looked at sales and saw that the 152 and 184's sales were just not there to warrent the extra skis...not uncommon with bookend sizing. If you notice the MX88 Classic is also not offered in the two bookends of 158 and 188 either.
I'm told they are making 200 pair worldwide down from 500 and may have given up on the 160. My information on this ski is local buzz mostly so.... Knowing me if I like it I'll soon be considering the 89. These things are not hard to reselll around here.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm told they are making 200 pair worldwide down from 500 and may have given up on the 160. My information on this ski is local buzz mostly so.... Knowing me if I like it I'll soon be considering the 89. These things are not hard to reselll around here.
I am seeing 200 also as the production number.

Jnelly

Booting up
Skier
Nice write ups...I came across this as I am seeking a 2nd half of a western package. Ive been skiing happily on Kastle FX84 176...they are really nice and stable and seem to bust crud quite well but would like something to compliment it. I am 42, 6' 155-160# like to ski the west, varied turns, love off piste, trees and explore. I would say I am a confident level 7 skier and couldn't care less about shooting down the mountain as fast as I can...boring...Having the FX84 in deep stuff is fine and will most likely not happen that much but want to entertain a ski I could take with for cat skiing, fresh snow etc...The FX84 is seemingly a great choice for most daily stuff and all but who wants just one ski? :)
I've been reading about the Kore, QST and a few others. Some sound like they might be good candidates others not so much but thought I'd toss it out there to those that have been on all these options and weight in on this.
(I would add: I am not opposed to nabbing something a year to ever two old if that adds some depth of choices)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Nice write ups...I came across this as I am seeking a 2nd half of a western package. Ive been skiing happily on Kastle FX84 176...they are really nice and stable and seem to bust crud quite well but would like something to compliment it. I am 42, 6' 155-160# like to ski the west, varied turns, love off piste, trees and explore. I would say I am a confident level 7 skier and couldn't care less about shooting down the mountain as fast as I can...boring...Having the FX84 in deep stuff is fine and will most likely not happen that much but want to entertain a ski I could take with for cat skiing, fresh snow etc...The FX84 is seemingly a great choice for most daily stuff and all but who wants just one ski? :)
I've been reading about the Kore, QST and a few others. Some sound like they might be good candidates others not so much but thought I'd toss it out there to those that have been on all these options and weight in on this.
(I would add: I am not opposed to nabbing something a year to ever two old if that adds some depth of choices)
Staying within the Kastle theme in this thread, I would say the BMX105, non HP could be a great option (but that Kore 105 is hard to ignore too)

procos

Putting on skis
Skier
It is so funny but for my local hills in Michigan I have found no finer ski than the LX82. I absolutely love that ski and it turns my small local hills into playgrounds. I owned both the MX78 and MX83 and never enjoyed skiing them. They felt way to stiff and just didn't do anything for me. However the LX82 has so much energy and pop to them I just love it. Wanted to pull the trigger on the new LX85 but after reading your review I think I'll pass. If it is more like the MX series than the old LX series I'll stick with my LX82's. I also have an older version of the FX84's so sounds like the new LX85 would be very similar to that ski. Thanks for the great reviews and for saving me some dough.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It is so funny but for my local hills in Michigan I have found no finer ski than the LX82. I absolutely love that ski and it turns my small local hills into playgrounds. I owned both the MX78 and MX83 and never enjoyed skiing them. They felt way to stiff and just didn't do anything for me. However the LX82 has so much energy and pop to them I just love it. Wanted to pull the trigger on the new LX85 but after reading your review I think I'll pass. If it is more like the MX series than the old LX series I'll stick with my LX82's. I also have an older version of the FX84's so sounds like the new LX85 would be very similar to that ski. Thanks for the great reviews and for saving me some dough.
YES. the LX was a great ski and it filled need, your need. Is the new LX for you, I agree with you, I don't think so.

procos

Putting on skis
Skier
Yeah I have all the ski's I need for my local hills between my LX82 and FX84 I have it covered. Really like those 2 for my local hills. Both excellent skis for Michigan skiing.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Bring on the snow.

20171116_215644-01.jpeg

surf carve

Booting up
Skier
I just bought a used pair oj the Kastle LX 92 at 184 cm. It is the best all mountain ski that i have ever used, good in pow, great in spring skiing carves the icy groomers until they soften, and then it skis like a dream. perfect turn initiation and balance thru out the turn. its better than the head monster 88, blizzard brahma, dynasty 89, RTMs, mantras, 90eights, etc

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just bought a used pair oj the Kastle LX 92 at 184 cm. It is the best all mountain ski that i have ever used, good in pow, great in spring skiing carves the icy groomers until they soften, and then it skis like a dream. perfect turn initiation and balance thru out the turn. its better than the head monster 88, blizzard brahma, dynasty 89, RTMs, mantras, 90eights, etc
This was a very underated ski from Kastle's line. IIRC, @Bill Talbot has a pair and still skis them regularly.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

This was a very underated ski from Kastle's line. IIRC, @Bill Talbot has a pair and still skis them regularly.

Yup. I had a pair for a season. They were too big for me, as it turned out, so I sold them, but super nice ski. I think they were only produced for a couple of years.

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
Interesting they changed out the LX72 to sidewall construction. I think I've determined that's one of the things I didn't care for with mine... that they were cap construction.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Interesting they changed out the LX72 to sidewall construction. I think I've determined that's one of the things I didn't care for with mine... that they were cap construction.

Weren't the original LX72, LX82, and LX92 a combination cap-sandwich construction, with the sandwich section under foot? Sidewall cap construction results in a softer flexing ski and is less expensive to manufacture.

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
Weren't the original LX72, LX82, and LX92 a combination cap-sandwich construction, with the sandwich section under foot? Sidewall cap construction results in a softer flexing ski and is less expensive to manufacture.

Oh, maybe? You're probably right now that I'm googling it. Would that make it ski like a ski with full sidewall then? So maybe I disliked them for other reasons, if so. I just found them to be very blah skis overall. "Blah" is an official tech term. :P

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Oh, maybe? You're probably right now that I'm googling it. Would that make it ski like a ski with full sidewall then? So maybe I disliked them for other reasons, if so. I just found them to be very blah skis overall. "Blah" is an official tech term. :P

I got a set of LX92s around 2013/2014 (can't remember). They were old new stock. Yep, cap construction.

I initially skied them with the factory tune and was disappointed. Performance seemed bland. I then tuned to 0.75/2. Better. Then I went to 1/3. Best.

It took me a couple seasons to really figure the LX92s out. For me, they do seem to ski "long" (I have the 174s), but that's probably due to the full camber and modest sidecut design. Fun on a few inches of fresh. Pretty good as a spring ski (with the right wax & structure). Impressive carving experience IF you can stay in the sweet spot. Miss the sweet spot & the tails will wash. Haven't found a speed limit - but I don't seek high speeds.

At first I appreciated that my LX92s had no early rise. I liked the idea of full camber at first (these things have lots of camber but modest "pop" - weird). Now I wish they had a bit of early rise to help with initiation and mixed snow. Would have helped versatility.

What I like about the skis the most is that they're simply very predictable and dependable.

Sponsor