• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018 Tour de France

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Tour kicks off tomorrow. Any predictions on the jersey winners? Who's going to be nabbed for excessive levels of various substances? Will Froome be attacked by rabid roadside fans?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
All I know is that I'm pretty pissed at the ASO right now for taking down Velogames.

Excited for the GC battle though I have no guess which way it will go. Movistar's 3-leader strategy should be funny to watch. Enjoying watching Bardet and Yates so hope both have good rides.

Sagan for the green, cause Sagan. Groenewegen and Gaviria to split the true sprints.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I did read that other riders thought it was pretty miserable that Froome isn't going to get some protection from the fans.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I think ASO are somewhat aware that Froome domination is costing them viewer interest as the tour develops.

I bet they (ASO) are going to be absolutely precious about being 'fair' in the equitable sense - "Hey, we're not giving him anything we don't give every other rider, giving him special protection would be favoritism"

My third observation is that it's high time Amazon or Netflix or ... sponsored a World Tour team. I bet Vaughters would like a shorter team name. :P

Last edited:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
gotta pull for Sagan to come back for some FU wins..:thumb:

I love the TDF but don't get too caught up in the politics of it. Its like the Olympics or World Cup.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
very interesting Froome interview coming up tonight at 8 EST. Check your local listings. Seems like there has been a ton of false info spread about Froome and it was discussed this AM. Froomes actual asthma med threshold was only surpassed by less than 20% not the double as was rumored.

TS
graham418

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fernando Gaviria takes a sprint from Sagan and Kittel to win the first stage . Froome and Quintana both have minor crashes. Lots of fans booing Froome and holding disparaging signs .
This might be an interesting tour

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My prediction:

France and England will be in the finals of the World Cup. England wins, so French fans decide to take it out on Froome. They disgrace themselves, throwing everything from insults to urine. Froome soldiers on with a mixture of British manners and zen-like calm, but falters due to his tough schedule and the diverse and strong field.

TS
graham418

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So tell me about Tsgabu Grmay? Whaaat happened?
The dubious distinction of being the first to drop out of the Tour. Abdominal pains.........apparently the French cooking doesn't agree with him?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You're welcome. If you're one of the old fogies like me who still likes the Liggett / Sherwen commentary, and had lamented NBC Sports Gold's decision not to include their coverage under "replays," you're welcome. I complained, and they fixed it! Yay!

Muleski

Inactive
You're welcome. If you're one of the old fogies like me who still likes the Liggett / Sherwen commentary, and had lamented NBC Sports Gold's decision not to include their coverage under "replays," you're welcome. I complained, and they fixed it! Yay!

Thank you! I complained as well. Guess enough of us complained!

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
More and more tour riders are opting for wider tires with lower pressure, with many of them riding 26mm tubular tires this Tour.

Wondering why that is - comfort, lower probability of puncture?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
More and more tour riders are opting for wider tires with lower pressure, with many of them riding 26mm tubular tires this Tour.

Wondering why that is - comfort, lower probability of puncture?

Lots of research going on now that shoe tires of that size are no slower than their slimmer counterparts, and they are far more comfortable over long distances than 23s. Weight isn't really an issue since most bikes have weight added to meet the requirements. And aero is only a really big deal on TT stages.

We'll probably see mostly 28s come Sunday.

scott43

Skier
Lower rolling resistance and the side benefit of more comfort. Still fairly high psi.. As for tubulars, they are entirely unpractical...I would never run them again myself. But they do have a unique feel for whatever reason.

Sorry, repeating JMEB at the wire..

Reactions: Ron

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Those were the only reasons I could think of - comfort, which is key on these longer and flat stages, and puncture/durability, which is usually better with wider tires as it spreads the weight more when the tire roles over a stone or bump.

I was not concerned about the added weight, since most of the other bike parts are so lite nor about the aero, since that really only comes into effect above certain speeds and/or in solo, time trial riding where you are not benefiting from riding in a pack.

Certainly neither weight nor aero would seem to be a concern given how many of the riders are using both front and rear disc brakes, at least on the flat to slightly hilly stages.

Sponsor

Staff online