• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
2018 Gathering Lodging & Transportation thread.

Something new this year….a thread about lodging. It is designed to give first timers to Utah a little insight and perhaps give us all a way to better connect after skiing (for those in SLC mostly) and PERHAPS organize some carpools.

For those of you planning on staying in SLC In previous Gatherings in Utah the area of choice for lodging was along Fort Union Blvd in Midvale, Utah. That road has just about every service you need such as gas, lodging, restaurants and multiple ski shops with discounted lift tickets and easy access to Little Cottonwood Canyon (Snowbird & Alta). MDF had a great idea when he suggested in a post we try to “zero in” on an area for lodging to make après-Ski easier, so here is the suggestion.

The area of choice is between Fort Union Blvd., I-15, and I-215 up to the base of the mountains. There are all price ranges of lodging in that area. Snowbird & Alta are about 15 miles ( ½ hour drive) under good conditions. It is about an hour and fifteen minutes to Snowbasin.

For those of you on a budget and looking to grab an efficiency, take a look at Extended Stay America Union Park and Hawthorne Suites by Wyndham Salt Lake City Fort Union.

Don’t overlook the Crystal Inn Hotel & Suites Midvalley, in Murray, Utah. It is on the north side of 215.

Other than these, just do a search in MidVale (and / or Murray and Cottonwood Heights) Utah and find something that suits you.

For those of you who decide to stay at the base of Alta or Snowbird the lodging of choice in past events had been the Goldminer’s Daughter at the base of Alta. Mountain Collective pass holders can get a discount at several Alta locations. Consult the lodging section at the MCP website for details. There are a number of Condo complexes to choose from at Snowbird and there may be some vacation homes on VRBO or other such sites. There are MCP discounts at Snowbird also. There is bus transportation between Alta and Snowbird.

While Snowbird and Alta are connected, there is a question at this point as to whether the MCP tickets are interchangeable on a daily basis. This will require some research. Don’t plan on skiing from one area to the other to meet up in the morning. That will prove difficult if not impossible.

Snowbasin is a HAUL from Alta-bird (just under 2 hours each way). You may want to consider a few nights lodging in the South Weber area (between SLC and Ogden where I-84 makes its way into the mountains) when you arrive. Not only will you be close but you will stay at a much lower altitude for the first few nights to better acclimate to altitude. You may also avoid any premium weekend night rates at the lodges/ condos up in Little Cottonwood Canyon.

Let’s keep all the lodging and carpool talk here on this thread. See y’all in March

UL

TS
Uncle Louie

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
As it appears we are going to have a big turnout for this Gathering, carpools may help. For those of you who have never navigated LCC (Little Cottonwood Canyon) here is what to expect when there is a heavy snow or they avi-blast in the early morning hours (approx. 6 AM to 8 AM). They do CLOSE THE ROAD when blasting.

Here is some information about driving up LCC. http://updsl.org/page_canyonAlerts.php

(Please note the snow tire / 4 X 4 & chains section)

FYI there ARE police officers stationed at the base of the canyon during restricted times. If you are unprepared, you don’t go.

There is bus service to Alta and Snowbird (and a stop with a parking lot right at the base of the canyon) Info on that can be found here https://www.rideuta.com/Rider-Info/UTA-Ski-Service

FYI on a powder day it is VERY difficult to get on the bus at the base of the canyon.

For those of you planning on renting a car, a 4X4 or all wheel drive would be advisable.

Another hint…..If it looks like it’s going to be a huge powder day don’t rule out getting up the canyon before the AM closure for blasting. Some did this at a previous Gathering and got first dibs on several FEET of fresh. (well worth the sleep loss)

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Excellent info from UL. There are many PugSki members with better local info than me, but FWIW I share the following. In the last two years as a visitor from the East I have about 20 days at Snowbird, two at Alta, and ~10 days at various other UT mtns. In those two years I have skied UT at various times in the months of Jan, Mar, and Apr. For the vast majority of my days I was based in the SLC valley and I have experienced a number of the scenarios discussed by UL including driving up LCC before 6AM on snowy day to beat a two hour road closure. Only one day was I totally shut out of driving to Alta/Bird. The road to LCC was closed by police all day (1/23/17) during a super snowy week I visited in Jan 2017. However, I would say about 20% (usually January) of my days driving up LCC were in conditions snowy enough that UT DOT restrictions were in place requiring 4wd or chains or snow tires. Usually one of those three is adequate for your vehicle to not get stopped by police. If you wish to roll the dice and use a 2wd car without snow tires for economy or convenience, then keeping a $50 set of chains in your trunk is decent insurance, or better, do some pretrip coordination to team up on snow days with someone driving a better winterized vehicle.

Last edited:

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Not sure if Mr. @albertanskigirl is going to make it - any ladies looking to split a room at the Peruvian? I will most likely come towards the end of the week, the 6th or so, ski Alta/Snowbird and then go to Snowbasin for a day or two. I'm also open to staying in Midvale/Sandy and splitting a car, or carpooling.

Thanks!
Sabrina

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure if Mr. @albertanskigirl is going to make it - any ladies looking to split a room at the Peruvian? I will most likely come towards the end of the week, the 6th or so, ski Alta/Snowbird and then go to Snowbasin for a day or two. I'm also open to staying in Midvale/Sandy and splitting a car, or carpooling.

Thanks!
Sabrina

Do come with or without DH, look forward to meeting you!

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm local if anyone wants to bounce questions off me. Anything in cottonwood heights, Holliday, Sandy, Draper, or Midvale will have you at the mouth of LCC within 10-15 minutes. Downtown Salt Lake isn't much further.
Anything east of I15 would be the target and the recommend of being around Fort Union Blvd would have you close to anything you need. The biggest problem in the salt lake valley is getting from the west end of the valley to the east.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Thanks!
Sabrina
Woot woot, you're coming to Snowbasin!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
OK I'm actually serious enough to look at lodging, slopeside for this..

Goldminer's Daughter doesn't show any availability/rates for the hostel/bunkhouse option so I checked hotel rooms with two doubles or one king.

It's roughly 300/night for one person in that kind of room but $500/night for two people in a double twin or king room. Humm, $300 a night for a private versus $250 a night to share? Only a couple Pugs I know well enough to make saving 15% - 20% worth giving up total privacy hahaha..

I'd be looking to fly in Thursday night, catch an UBer XL or airport shuttle (if Goldminer has that) to the slopeside hotel. Ski Friday and Saturday, then catch Uber or shuttle back to the airport Sunday morning to fly back.

Does that logistical plan seem feasible to folks who have skied out of that hotel?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
There is a shuttle from the airport to Alta/Snowbird with a desk right in the baggage claim area. I think @cosmoliu has used it.

I'm totally down with paying $300/night for 3 nights if I have ZERO transportation expenses. :yahoo:If the hostel/bunk house option opens up for a lot cheaper I'd also do that. $100 per night for Hostel would be worth giving up privacy for a weekender. Saving only $50/night I'd probably just go solo unless I could shack up with someone I've shared lodging with before at the base.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Goldminer's Daughter has a van, but I don't know if they do the airport. I've just taken it back and forth to the Snowbird base.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
They do have airport shuttle!

Complimentary Amenities:

• Buffet or made-to-order breakfast and four-course a la carte dinner (included in your room rate)
  • Complimentary Afternoon Tea
  • Hot Tub
  • Complimentary Wireless Internet
  • Flat screen, In-room satellite TV with HBO and Pay-Per-View movie options
  • Rec Room with big screen tv, pool table, board games and library
  • Exercise Room
Additional Amenities:

• Coin Operated Laundry
  • Goldminer’s Day Spa
  • Motherlode Ski Haus – On-site retail and rental equipment
  • Slopeside Café & Slopeside Joe
  • Goldminer’s Saloon
  • Airport Shuttle
https://www.goldminersdaughterlodge.com/stay/services/

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
IMO, the best shuttle to LCC is Alta Shuttle. The others make you wait for a van to fill completely, or nearly so, before leaving the airport. I've been the only rider on Alta Shuttle more than once. I just wish they did the Park City run. :(

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK I'm actually serious enough to look at lodging, slopeside for this..

Goldminer's Daughter doesn't show any availability/rates for the hostel/bunkhouse option so I checked hotel rooms with two doubles or one king.

It's roughly 300/night for one person in that kind of room but $500/night for two people in a double twin or king room. Humm, $300 a night for a private versus $250 a night to share? Only a couple Pugs I know well enough to make saving 15% - 20% worth giving up total privacy hahaha..

I'd be looking to fly in Thursday night, catch an UBer XL or airport shuttle (if Goldminer has that) to the slopeside hotel. Ski Friday and Saturday, then catch Uber or shuttle back to the airport Sunday morning to fly back.

Does that logistical plan seem feasible to folks who have skied out of that hotel?

I stayed at Goldminer's last year and took the the Alta Shuttle. It worked very well and recommend it but it's not free.

I'm booked at GMD for the Gathering in a private room with restricted view but I was able to get the 12% discount for returning customers so my rate is $248/night. The fact that breakfast and dinner are included in the rate makes it a slam dunk, IMO.

Sponsor