• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2018 Völkl 90Eight vs 2018 Head Great Joy

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great Joy vs. 90Eight.png
The ever-popular 98mm do-it-all ski has been a staple on the ski wall for a few years, catering to those who are ready to step it up and cover more of the mountain. The challenge of this waist width is that it takes a little more effort to get on edge than the average all-mountain ski; the reward is versatility when you want to head off piste, charge the mountain, and gain a little float on a surprise powder day. Indeed, a 98 waist makes a good one-ski quiver for the ski traveler. In our series of cage matches, we'll be taking a look at several women's skis in the 98mm world.

Both the Völkl 90Eight and the Head Great Joy have this magic 98, and I don't think you can go wrong with either. Both promise edgehold, light weight, versatility, and stability -- and both deliver. I would be hard pressed to pick one over the other, but there is one slight difference: the Great Joy hugs the snow a little better, with a slight dampness that adds to its stability, where the Völkl 90Eight has a bit more energy and playfulness.
  • Why choose the Völkl 90Eight? You're looking for a lightweight, grippy ski that is energetic.
  • Why choose the Head Great Joy? You prefer a lightweight, grippy ski that is damp and stable.
  • Other skis in the class: Blizzard Black Pearl 98, Armada Trace 98, Rossignol Sky 7 W.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I absolutely loved the Volkl when I demoed it two seasons ago (same ski.) I remember thinking it had the same solid feel of my Kenjas, but was lighter and more playful feeling, even in a fairly long 170 length. I don't know many other skis that even at a wider width, offer the solid edge bite feeling of Volkl. These were no exception.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Man o' man, these are both killer skis! I've skied both and think they're at the top of the heap for float, edge grip, and just plain old skiability in the 98 width category, particularly for people who tip their feet and let the skis do the turning. Great thing about the Volkl is that if you don't dig the graphic or need a longer length, grab the men's. Neither are particularly demanding, track well in mixed conditions, and respond to input from a range of skiers from athletic intermediate to expert. I'd love a pair of Volkl 90Eights for a telemark ski!

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Great thing about the Volkl is that if you don't dig the graphic or need a longer length, grab the men's.

I LOVE the graphics on the women's 90Eight this year. Perfect touch of feminism but no where near overwhelmingly Barbie. Totally agree, both are ripper skis, and so close in every comparison.

Sponsor

Staff online