• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2019-2020 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Labor Day was the hottest September day ever recorded in over 50 Colorado locations including the urban corridor.

OTOH, there is a storm coming through at the end of the week out of the PNW. About time for some peak dusting.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Labor Day was the hottest September day ever recorded in over 50 Colorado locations including the urban corridor.

OTOH, there is a storm coming through at the end of the week out of the PNW. About time for some peak dusting.

Im tired of the heat, can't wait for some cooler temps.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I agree, way too hot. I think the 100 degrees in Denver was also the hottest day of the year. We were hiking over the weekend. Did McCullough with very warm temps and a couple of hundred other people one day and then decided to head to RMNP for hiking the other days. Still tons of people, 80's, and very warm temps even up high. It was nice playing around in the head waters of Big Thompson.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've been going to Grizzly Gulch (under Torreys) and Ruby Gulch/Wood Creek Valley (near Urad Mine). No one, mostly. (Latest last Friday, next tomorrow, probably.)

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I spent the last few days touring around southern CO and can say I saw sure signs of fall above 11,000 ft. Aspens are starting to turn and a chill was in the air. The drive over Imogene Pass and Engineer Pass is stunning to say the least. On the way into Lake City we drove through at least five or six fresh avalanche paths with big piles of snow still in the river bed. The damage was impressive.

IMG_1220.JPG IMG_1231.JPG IMG_1251.JPG IMG_1312.JPG IMG_1358.JPG IMG_1361.JPG IMG_1357(1).JPG
IMG_1275.JPG

Last edited:

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Very nice. I remember the 1st time I did the Jeep Jamboree that is held there. It was awe inspiring. Not too much fall around here yet. I see more yellow aspen leaves on the ground in center village at Copper than on our hike up to wheeler lakes. The good news is Loveland may see some snow Wed night.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Sure felt like fall backpacking in the Gores this weekend. Wildflowers above 9k are mostly gone and turned to that wonderful fall smell. Aspens starting to show some colors.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Was fleece and flannel weather all weekend at 9000'. Leaves are starting to go quick along the peak to peak.

This dude loves fall because it means ski touring season is soon.

70916215_1809100202566962_3397453400403607552_n.jpg

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sat was an absolutely beautiful day. Helicopter was busy working on 3 Bears at Copper.

Starting to look like fall in Summit. Fri

IMG_0295 (2).JPG

Not so much just across the pass in Eagle. Sat
IMG_0302.JPG

Yesterday morning was in the low 30's in Steamboat but warmed up to a pretty nice temp by mid afternoon. From the Yampa looking straight at the slopes.

IMG_0310.JPG

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Climbed up Torreys yesterday via the Kelso Ridge for the first time. Wow, superb route and much more fun than a trail. It was NOT easy but the weather was great although it was pretty chilly and VERY windy. Loving the cool weather finally! It is bone dry out there so most trails / routes are very loose so a bit of care is required. I tried to always be on the best rock but still had to negotiate some very loose rock along the way.

IMG_6363.jpeg IMG_6362.jpeg

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Kelso Ridge is a super fun route. Not for the faint of heart as in many places getting a little off route can lead to 5th class moves. And the route isn't always clear. Awesome time of year to be up there.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Kelso Ridge is a super fun route. Not for the faint of heart as in many places getting a little off route can lead to 5th class moves. And the route isn't always clear. Awesome time of year to be up there.

I got off route once and had to climb a rock slab to gain the ridge that was very close to low 5th class for sure. Solid 4th class. But it was very solid rock. The route was confusing at times because people have made lots of different little paths to bypass some of the climbing. Those paths traverse some VERY loose scree slopes. The "famous" knife edge was actually one of the easier bits. I just walked on the left side with my hands on the ridge crest. The slope after the Knife edge to gain the summit actually felt much more sketchy. It was so loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online